What's new

Upcoming "Optimum" BD-titles (UK) Cliffhanger, Carpenter, etc (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Well, we've got an update on the region coding situation, and it's enough to make the head hurt:

Region B only:
Diary of the Dead
My Blueberry Nights
Son of Rambow

All Regions:
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
The Orphanage

Regions A & B:
Cliffhanger
First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Stargate (Special Edition)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Director's Cut)*
The Fog*
Total Recall*
Ultimate Rambo Collection

Unknown:
Escape From New York
They Live

* Also, unfortunately all extras have been removed from "Terminator 2", "Total Recall", and "The Fog".

DVD Times - Optimum Blu-ray in August - Updated

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Great. The only one I'm interested in importing. Guess I'll have to wait until August to find out.

GregK

Screenwriter
Who has the Region 1 video rights for ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK?

I was thinking it was still MGM, but if Fox were to release it here in the States, at least then the original soundtrack would probably be included.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure it is MGM, so it would be distributed by Fox. The trouble is it is a near certainty that 'Escape from New York' won't see a Region A Blu-ray Disc release until the remake hits the theaters.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
It would be great to find out which version of Cliffhanger they're releasing...

If it's the USA 'R' cut, then I'll probably buy it. If it's the UK '15' version, then there's no way.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Sweet merciful crap!

That's everything that Optimum is releasing, plus more--Brotherhood of the Wolf(!), Hot Fuzz(!!)--and Studio Canal should be less likely to region-code.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick update:

It looks like Optimum's "Escape From New York" is all-regions. "They Live" has been moved to September 22, but no word on region coding.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks.

Now I just need to find a place to order this from at a reasonable price given the US Dollar is currently worth-"less"

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I just looked at the prices for 'Escape from New York' and 'The Fog' on Amazon UK, Base, Play, Tesco, and Zavvi. Amazon UK is the same price or cheaper than the rest, so I have placed an order with them temporarily. If I've missed a place, or anyone finds it cheaper than £11.05 plus shipping please share it with the group. :D

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
From their September slate, I'm down for 'They Live', of course. I'd be curious to know how 'Night of the Living Dead' is, although I think that is supposed to get US release this year also. The same goes for 'Evil Dead II', as the current Starz BD release is the poster child for DVNR run a muck, however I've heard that the DVNR in that release is inherent in the master, so unless Optimum is using a different one there probably isn't much hope I'm afraid.

Edited to add:

One a semi-related note, does anyone know of a comparison between the Spanish Orphanage and the US BD releases. Wasn't the Spanish Orphange BD done by Optimum also?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Any opinions on Total Recall and T2? Now that releases I'm interested in are beginning to dry up I'm starting to think more about imports.

How does Total Recall compare against the U.S. BD?

How does T2 compare against the French HD DVD (which I have)?

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Totall Recall- despite a slight edginess (there are some minor halos visible in a few shots), it's a substantial improvment over the domestic Lionsgate release. I don't think anyone who likes the film would regret getting the UK release.
T2- the french HDDVD has both cuts of the film, the UK only has the DC. They should be indistinguishable in sound and appearence. I'm just fine with the HD DVD so thankfully I think I've finally bought the last copy of this film I ever will (Hallelujiah!).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well that helps make my decision for Total Recall. thanks.

The benefit of having English subtitles (a must in my household) on T2 might be enough for me to get it, even though I'm loosing the Theatrical cut. Then again if ever a film was guaranteed another release on BD it's this one so maybe I'll just hold off for the Uber set in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks