Upcoming EVIL DEAD release -- full screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Jun 6, 2001.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

At one point I heard that they might release it as 16:9 "matted" from the full screen version.
    Anyone hear otherwise? Now that I've got my Toshiba 56H80, I kindda hoping for a 16:9 transfer. [​IMG]
    regards,
    chris

2. Ivan Berisic

Ivan Berisic Stunt Coordinator

1.33:1 is the correct aspect ratio, so I hope that's the way it will be presented on the DVD.
    ------------------

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

As Ivan says, this film was shot 1.33, which is the intended ratio. Frankly, I think it would look horrible matted down to 1.77, but you're welcome to try it using the zoom mode of your TV.

4. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

The film was shot on 16mm stock, and then blown up to 35mm for distribution (not many commercial theatres would be able to handle 16mm).
    I'm sure it was shown in many theatres matted to 1.85:1 as they probably just treated it like any other 35mm (non anamorphic) film.
    But that doesn't mean it's correct.
    You'll just have to watch the OTHER Evil Dead movies on your new TV. [​IMG]

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'd heard for years that "The Evil Dead" was always intended to be full-frame, but "The Evil Dead Companion" states that the film was framed at 1.66:1 (page 82, if you're curious). Perhaps due to the micro-budget, camera-flinging nature of the shoot, "Evil Dead" doesn't quite work with the usual sort of matte, which is why Campbell is rumored to be going through the movie shot by shot for the widescreen presentation. Regardless, I hope Anchor Bay includes both versions on the upcoming set, and if not, I'll always have my Elite DVD...
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

6. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

Don't hold your breath Adam.

7. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

The R2 Project has posted a review of Anchor Bay UK's upcoming R2 PAL release:
    http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=2479
    To quote: "The picture has been matted from it's 1.33:1 to 1.85:1 and on the whole it suits its new framing".
    There is no mention as to whether or not the matte is director-approved.

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If that picture on the UK site is any indictation, matting ED to 1.85:1 is a horrible idea. But even if it were framed for 1.66:1 you're still going to lose some picture by matting it to 1.77:1.
    As cool as that Necronomicon box is, I'll have to think real hard about buying it if there isn't a 4:3 version available. I really, really hate it when directors (or even the venerable Bruce Campbell) mucks around with films from the past. Leave them alone, guys. They are a part of history, and should remain a window to a vanished era.
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=fishhead&type=O&sc=C&ls=T
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

9. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Hey where can I get info about this release? I can't seem to find any about it. When's the release date? Thanks...
    james
    ps if anybody cares I talked to Bruce and he said that his new movie Bubba Ho Tep might be released straight to video. cool stuff.
    ------------------
    When in doubt...Rock it out.

10. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

And why would Campbell get to reframe Raimi's masterpiece???

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

13. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I'm always a bit confused with the argument of those who do not want to see the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio. In the case of Evil Dead, it must have been created to be seen in the theaters, correct, or was this movie a direct-to-video production?

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

15. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Not from what I've heard. Every comparative review between the two discs I've come across said that the Anchor Bay transfer was superior. A review at www.mondo-digital.com and threads at www.mhvf.net have all generally agreed with this assessment.
    The Elite disc was the disc of choice at the time as it contained all those exclusive supplements. Many of these will likely be on the new AB release.
    Bruce Campbell was involved in the disc transfer of the earlier Elite LD/DVD. The location of the original neg and Anchor Bay's improved telecine facilities are probably two of the reasons that he's involved in making yet another transfer.

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It has a DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track baby! Hail to the king. [​IMG]
    I think 1.66:1 anamorphically enhanced sounds about right. Anchor Bay will probably do a great job on this film if they're spending the time to get Bruce Campbell in on it and remix the stems to 6.1 discrete.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

17. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

As a response to the topic header I'd say why not?
    All other Anchor Bay release I own have the choice between fullscreen and widescreen, why should this new Evil Dead be an exception???
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

18. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

19. Tom Bley

Tom Bley Extra

Hi Julie,
    I think anamorphic enhancement for a 1.66:1 ratio on a a 16x9 screen is ideal, it would fill the screen top to bottom but, not all the width...still it would use more of the width of my 16x9 screen than a 4:3 image.
    On a 4:3 set a 1.66:1 ratio would fill the screen width and only have very small black bars on top and bottom.
    New Line Cinema has done this with some of there 1.66:1 movies and it looks great on both 4:3 and 1.78:1 sets.
    Have a nice day,
    Tom
    my theater: www15.brinkster.com/tbley1

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Tom,
    I agree, a 1.66:1 windowboxed and anamorphic release would be ideal. But I was under the impression that Anchor Bay is cropping it even more to 1.77:1 so that there wouldn't be side bars on the 16:9 display. A recent R2 Evil Dead was matted to 1.85:1!
    I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm worried that this will be a vertical style of P&S.
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=fishhead&type=O&sc=C&ls=T
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"