What's new

Upcoming DVD-A releases (1 Viewer)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen any new DVD-A releases (@ B&M) for the past couple of weeks. Looking for The Dead, C. Simon and Queen. Reptile (which is quite fine) was my last.

Actually, they've been putting some older DTS stuff on the shelves. Today I picked up Trampoline (Mavericks) which I passed on first time around, due to lack of DTS capability.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Looking for The Dead, C. Simon and Queen. Reptile (which is quite fine) was my last.
Got both Dead DVD-Audio discs, and they came out on the expected release date. And as I stated the C. Simon is out. The Queen on the other hand has definitely been delayed.

I guess it depends upon where you shop. I live in New Jersey and frequent Compact Disc World - where they get the new DVD-Audio releases on the actual day of release (multiple copies of most releases no less).

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I've only been investigating new DVD-A titles for a few weeks now, so I have to ask if anyone has noticed when (approximately) the DVD-Audio Preview for Warner Brothers titles updates its listing?

I just checked the site, and they don't have any December releases posted. And am I reading too much into the fact that they've changed the "November Releases" logo to simply "New Titles"? Seems to me they may be trying to get away from monthly updates.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Alan,
Warner's www.dvdaudiopreview.com site is not kept up very well. Sometimes titles have been released and they still have them listed as coming soon, etc.
I have found that one site that is usually right on with the limited DVD-Audio releases they handle is Rhino.
You can go to www.rhino.com and click on upcoming releases and they will list, not only DVD-Audio, but everything upcoming on Rhino. And Rhino is a subsidiary of Warners.
But I have yet to find a title that is listed on Rhino's site, and that stays listed, that hasn't come out the day they say it will. If Rhino says that the Doobie Brothers is coming out on 12/18 - the DVD-Audio comes out on 12/18. I wish all release date sites were as exacting.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Philip,
Actually the DVD-Audio spec does support Region Coding, it's DVD so it has to support Region Coding.
However, to date none of the titles released have had Region Coding in effect.
Regards,

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info on DVD-Audio Preview. I had a feeling it wasn't kept up-to-date.
I knew about Rhino, but if their track record for accurate release dates is as you say, what does that mean for
Randy Newman Little Criminals [January 29]
Van Morrison Moondance [January 29]
both of which were listed on the site but are now M.I.A.?

Michael_T

Second Unit
I knew about Rhino, but if their track record for accurate release dates is as you say, what does that mean for

Randy Newman Little Criminals [January 29]

Van Morrison Moondance [January 29]
I was wondering the same thing since "Moondance" has been delayed twice already. I suspect if it came off of Rhino's list, then it will not come out on January 29. Darn, really looking forward to that one.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am totally with you, Dave Matthews on dvd-audio would be sweet! Some Mighty Mighty Bosstones would also be another great one.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Audio World has the Van Morrison Moondance DVD-A postponed until February 26, 2002. No mention of Randy Newman's Little Criminals, but it's a sure bet that it's been postponed until 2/26/2 (at least). :frowning:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Well, well, well!!!
Looks like my DVD Planet order for the Eagles' Hotel California DVD-A shipped out on 12/08! Looks like I shouldn't have been such a doubting thomas! :D
Now the wait begins...
By the way, not too sure if anyone else has noticed, but the USPS has fallen waaaaay behind in delivery time. Stuff that normally takes two or three days has of late been arriving in seven or eight days (and that's for the so-called Priority Mail). Really amazing. Of course, I guess I understand that the double whammy of the holidays and the aftermath of 9/11 have affected delivery, but this seems a little severe. Or maybe it's because I'm so damned impatient for the goodies to arrive.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Planet is now listing the DVD-A of the

Doobie Brothers The Captain & Me

for release on 1/8/2. That's a change in the release date, but I've certainly learned that online e-tailers are a different breed from B&M and so the disc might show up earlier.

Even more confusing: I've received my DVD-A of Hotel California from DVD Planet even though the web site still lists it as unavailable and set for release 12/18...

Still looking forward to the Queen DVD-A!

By the way, the Hotel California disc came with an outside sticker listing the different formats available on the DVD-A, including a two-channel 24/192 mix. And yes, the music sounds great. Incredible separation and clarity!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
It now appears that almost all the new Warner DVD-A releases come with stereo 24/192 tracks which is really welcome even though I'm not sure that I could tell the difference with 24/96 and 24/192 with my equipment at this point.

Patrick

Michael_T

Second Unit
Doobie Brothers The Captain & Me
for release on 1/8/2. That's a change in the release date, but I've certainly learned that online e-tailers are a different breed from B&M and so the disc might show up earlier
No, this appear to be the true release date. The www.rhino.com website shows the Doobie Bros. to be a 1/8/02 release.
What is really missing from the release list is - Van Morrision's "Moondance" - looks like it feel off the list again. :frowning:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, The Captain & Me was originally announced as a December 18 release, so the January 8 date is a change. I don't think anyone will be surprised by the delay, however.
Heck, I was kinda shocked that Hotel California was actually released on time! ;)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I was shocked to find it at Tower on release day and then pleasantly suprised by its excellent sound.
More DVDA please, more!
JohnG:D

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
More delays: :frowning:
From Digital Audio Guide:
EMI Music Distribution has scheduled three DVD-Audio releases for February 12, 2002:
Al Green Greatest Hits
Eric Johnson Ah Via Musicom
Dave Koz The Dance

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
And even more delays: :angry:
Grover Washington Winelight March 26, 2002
Randy Newman Little Criminals March 26, 2002
This is from the Rhino site, which also has completely dropped any listing of the Van Morrison DVD-A.
Sure could use some new title announcements, seeing as how its 2002 already.
And why do these delayed releases always seem to get bumped by such a large amount of time? Why not one or two weeks instead of four?
:confused:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
F**k, F**k, and triple F**k!!!
Queen A Night at the Opera DVD-A has been postponed again, this time to February 5!
:angry: :angry: :angry:
From all the signs I've seen on the internet, this is a popular title. DTS originally offered an excuse for the first delay on this, but what's it going to say now???
I have one small hope that this delay might not apply to b&m stores, so I'll be heading out tomorrow (the 15th) just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks