What's new

Upcoming BCI Ultraman DVD is pretty suspicious . . . (1 Viewer)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case anyone cares, DVD Verdict has posted there review of the disc set here. And… amazingly enough… here noticed NO playback issues with his set. Imagine that. The only problem he noticed was that there were no subtitles for the voiceover actor interviews (which I have to agree with). Although he does make one mistake where he says the English dub storyline is identical to that of the Japanese, which it isn't by a longshot.

And here's another review I just found over from the folks at 10,000 Bullets here. Hmm another reviewer that gives the set a completely honest and fair review.

Oh, and let's not forget about IGN's review of the show here. Hmmm… also no playback issues. Interesting. On a especially telling notes, IGN also discusses the edited syndication versions we received here in the 1970s. Here's the excerpt:

One thing to remember, Erik -- When I wrote that the episodes were edited for their original syndication broadcasts, it doesn't necessary mean that those edits occured during SPEAKING segments. Many of the trims would have occurred during non-speaking segments -- for example, minor trims at the beginning or ends of a scene where there is essentially nothing "major" going on… such as where someone is walking into or out from a room, or maybe a long-shot of someone driving into the distance, of maybe some cuts to the longer fight sequences, or some of the more "excessive" (for the early 70s) rubber monster violence… whatever. A few seconds here and there begins adding up. I noted that in my review, but might not have made it clear enough.

A friend of mine used to have grey-market tapes he bought waaay back when, and the English soundtrack would suddenly cut over to Japanese every so often to fill in the blanks where there was no English-language audio. Just like this set does. I'm assuming that there were also inserts consisting solely of music and/or background sound also from the Japanese where it was missing from the English version(s). Again, just like this DVD set -- I noticed several instances where it was quite obvious that the music/background audio was re-inserted into the English track from the Japanese.

Sure, it's mildly annoying, but you can't pull audio that was never recorded out of thin air. The only way anybody can EVER know for sure 100% what was recorded for the original English syndicated versions -- and what wasn't -- would be to obtain Tsuburaya's English dub master copies and do a comparison. And Tsuburaya isn't letting ANYONE access those tracks, nor is it likely they'll ever use it themselves (their 1986 LD, 1994 reissue LD and 1999 DVD releases were Japanese-only, as was their April 2005 DVD megaset). So frankly, until such a time as Tsuburaya does use them -- or allow outside access to them -- it's pretty much a moot issue.

HOWEVER, that being said, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the English soundtrack copies BCI did obtain were missing a few small bits of English here and there that WAS recorded… in fact, I'm certain of it. Again, since Tsuburaya has the originals locked away and unattainable, BCI had to make do with whatever old recordings they could find, mostly likely from private collections. And I'm sure most of these recordings were made over 30 years, back when the show was still syndicated.

So, no, I'm not at all surprised that a few seconds of English audio here or there ARE missing now, where they could previously be found on a grey market tape or bootleg created way back whenever. Just because a couple of us might have one English videotape version, doesn't necessarily mean that BCI had access to that exact same tape… or even knew of its existence. Or maybe they did, and the audio was even more problematic than another copy they had. Other considerations -- possibly their copy had deteriorated during a section… or the tape had crumpled… or it was just "not there" (old magnetic media). Another possibility (and one I've seen happen myself) -- possibly an English-track came from an episode copy originally recorded from a UHF station that had edited their own print even more (maybe due to damage, or maybe just to add more commercial time)? Who knows.

Another thing to take into consideration is this -- just because a company has the legal right to use or release a work doesn't mean they can just outright copy something off of a pre-existing version of the same work. In other words, even though BCI has to domestic rights to the series, they can't just grab the English-language soundtrack off an one of those pre-existing home video recording, unless they are able to obtain a release from that prior copyright holders, and possibly payments. It's a big mess no matter how you look at it.

Here's an example…

For example, there are a couple of instance where a former laserdisc producer I once knew pulled some of the soundtrack for a project off the then-recently-released legit CD soundtrack edition -- simply because he had it on hand, and was having problems getting better masters out of the studio vaults. The consequences had this been discovered at the time would have likely resulted in the LD project's immediate cancellation, followed by his firing and who knows what other legal repercussions. Yes, even though the LD was being released through the same studio that handled the CD release.

But if someone asked me right now to go out and find good-quality copies of all 39 English-language dubs -- knowing that the originals are locked away in Tokyo and unobtainable -- even with all the studio contacts and researchers I know, I wouldn't have the first clue even where to start. And even if I WERE lucky enough to find a full set, I honestly wouldn't know if another version existed out there somewhere with a 2 seconds of additional English dub for an episode. And I wouldn't even want to imagine how time-consuming it would be to go through multiple copies of 39 episodes checking to see if one of those copies might... just might be missing a second of dialogue.

Frankly, considering ALL the roadblocks that stood in BCI's way, I'm amazed the English-language dubs even exist at all in the state they do on these discs. But as most of you can likely see, things might not be as "quick and simple" as you may imagine them to be -- seemingly simply releases can be far more problematic to produce that you might imagine. (And this comes from personal behind-the-scenes experiences in the home video industry.)

And… that's basically it. Hope you folks don't mind, but my (working) fingers are totally dead, and I think I've said all I could ever possibly say about these English dubs, not to mention DVD production, compatibility testing, and all that. Doesn't DVD production on a 40-year-old foreign series sound like fun? Hope you all learned something… I may quiz you on it at some point…

Have a happy heatwave…

Brian Manning

Auditioning
I'm the one who's done the EIA tape/R2 comparsion, FYI.

There's a decent thread on the DVD Manaics forum that includes a post from someone within BCI (this is a supposition, rather than knowledge) explaining what they did and why. As I've said on the "other" board, an example of making a silk purse from a sow's ear...

Erik Smith

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik Smith

Thanks for the comparison, and I hope that you don't mind me quoting you.

I looked up the post on the DVD Maniacs forum, and saw the post you're talking about. He doesn't really out and out say that the dubs were incomplete, but does allude to it by saying that they did the best with what they were given and could find, and that it would have been prohibitively expensive to re-dub missing parts. Again, I just wish this had been explained in the booklet.

He also mentioned that the baseball cards were not ready by the release date, and will be included in the next set.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Those comparison pics don't show pixelization. They show interlacing artifacts. Could the R1 BCI DVDs be made from an interlaced source?

Brian Manning

Auditioning

My apologies. My understanding of the nomenclature is incomplete when it deals with the particulars...

I am pretty certain that what I've noticed (which may be above and beyond the interlacing issues shown in the screengrabs) is pixelation during the more visually "busy" scenes, such as occurs in episode 1 with the water splashing...

I apologize for not doing my own screengrabs for comparison, but my knowledge/understanding/energy/patience/time is not up to the task...

Erik Smith

Auditioning
Real Name
Erik Smith

Sorry, this probably wasn't as clear as it should have been. I quoted Brian's comments on the comments about the pixelization during "water splashing scenes". The screen grabs are from someone else. Whether or not they're from and interlaced source, I don't know. It does appear that way.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's cool. I saw the set in WalMart for $30. Yikes! I don't have a Borders or I'd buy it today. Those screen grabs look great to me. I'd love to see a half a dozen grabs. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Man, I ain't nowhere near that picky. I wouldn't even notice the dif on my TV I'll bet. They look great! BCI seems to have done a decent job on these. I simply can't wait until these are in my hands. I actually put my bootlegs in a box in the closet. Who needs those now?!! :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
rather than waiting for netflix, I decided to go ahead and risk the $14.99.

I picked a random episode (the first on disc three) watched that all the way thru and then skipped around the rest of the disc.

unless some playback issue pop up somewhere else (freezing skipping, etc) I have to say Jeff K was more on the mark about this set than any of the detractors.
That interlaced combing that you display in one of the shots wasn't present in any of the content I saw last night. Could it possibly be the result of that particular material being improperly flagged?
are the interlacing artifacts present throughout the whole set that you can see?

Like I said, unless I encounter problems down the stretch, I'm perfectly satisfied with the content and the presentation here.
I can only HOPE that the live action Filmation shows look as good when they come.

BTW, I'm watching this on an 1024 x 768 front projector.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Okay folks…

Here's an additional item to enlighten you a bit more to the TRUE quality of BCI's transfer.

I took a look at this R2 vs R1 comparison, and that R1 screenshot looked incredibly suspect… either the person who took the screenshot has a DVD player with an incredibly crappy decoder which is outputting interlacing errors, or -- more likely -- the photo had been purposely doctored (removing one of the two interlaced "fields" that make up a single video "frame" would yield a similar screenshot).

So just to be on the safe side, I pulled out my set, located the image in question (Episode 1 @ ~1:59) and took my own screenshot using my Mac laptop. Here are the results:

R2 Japanese Disc (originally posted at DVDManiacs):

R1 BCI Eclipse Disc (as taken by myself on 07.27.2006):

Original R1 Disc "screenshot" (*spit*) (originally posted at DVDManiacs):

Hmmm… notice anything different?

Just so you folks would know this was absolutely a brand new screengrab made off of the new R1 BCI DVD (and not some other source), I made sure that the English subtitles were "on". With the exception of resizing the image down from its original 1024 x 768 native size to 591 x 443 to match the original screengrabs as closely as possible (which were 591 x 427), absolutely no other processing of any kind was done to the picture… no sharpening, no color adjustment, no nothing. Oh, and once again, the shot in question is from Episode 1 at ~1:59.

Do I really need to say anything else? Does BCI's R1 transfer really look as shoddy as that "screengrab" made it out to be? Yeah, I can really see all those horrible interlacing errors in the transfer in my screengrab, uh-huh.

Look, someone do me a big favor -- if you have access to the DVDManiacs forum, please post a link over to this section -- or alternatively you have my permission to repost my screengrab and comments over there (so long as you point it back as originating from here.)

I'm having a really bad day physically (medically) today due to the extremely heat here in Los Angeles, and I could barely muster up the energy to grab this screenshot and make this posting here. So I'd really appreciate it if someone could do that DVDManiacs linking or posting.

Many thanks in advance.

Hope you found the screengrab as "enlightening" as I said it would be…

As always, my best to you all…

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

My WalMart had one left on the shelf. I'm sure that sucker is history now. :frowning:

I'll just have to admire everyone elses until I can order it online in a few months.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Ah, well at least you're sensibly retracting your silly assertion that all the missing bits of English were never dubbed in the first place.

Dubbing aside, this set suffers from serious manufacturing defects visible to many people, and should be repressed. Period.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio

Thanks, Jeff. I was really on the fence with this release but your screengrab finally sold me. It looks great!

Hope you feel better today. Thanks for the extra effort you put in.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Judgting from all of the bad rteviews that everyone is posting here I'm having a hard time deciding whether to buy this set or not. Is it really that bad or not? Considering that the series is from the 60's the picture quality can't be assumed to be digital quality.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

having been thru this same phenomenon with Night Gallery, I wasn't going to be surprised to see that many of the vocal fans who were dissing the release and cultivating FUD before its release, would sieze any opportunity to slam it when its actually released.

I haven't watched the whole set yet, and at some point I may run into an issue with it- but from what I've seen so far- it falls fully in line with my expectations for a foreign, 60s based kids tv show. at the Borders price...it is a steal. no question.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Garsh. I came in here to see if anyone had picked up the Ultraman set.....well I see there is some dispute here in all things from copyrights down to R1 PQ....well I have the set and I notice no "strobing" whatsoever, the transfer quality is pretty damn good as far as I can see, the audio quality is not as good as I hoped it would be but the slight hiss in the dubbed version is not very distracting, for me at least.

Oh....now who in the hell thought the switching from english to Japanese was a glitch? The fact that English subtitle 2 is automatically engaged when the english dud is selected AND that the 2nd set of subtilties only displays english subs when the english soundtracks reverts to japanese should tell you that this is intended. Much like Deep Red when the Italian tracks (and subsequent english subtitles) take over for what was not dubbed at the time....as to whether these missing bits were ever recorded in english...don't know, I was 5 years old the last time i saw this show. ;)

Well I have the set so if there is any breaking news and Tsuburaya ever get's the rights back and releases a super ultra fantastic set...you let me know, in the mean time I have waited the better part of 33 years to own this series....my wait is over...for now.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has anyone seen the second volume that is suppose to be coming out on October 10th listed online anywhere? I haven't been able to find a listing for it yet.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks