What's new

"UNTRACEABLE" blu-ray... Awesome PQ, AQ, extras AND multi-region! (1 Viewer)

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I received the Sony Region A blu-ray release of the Diane Lane thriller "UNTRACEABLE" this morning and just watched it.

The film is quite an exciting, intense and atmospheric serial killer thriller from director Greg Hoblit (Primal Fear, Fracture, Frequency) and starring Diane Lane.

It has many "Se7en"-esque bits to it and it has a gritty and brooding atmosphere to it. Diane Lane is excellent and there are some pretty sick and disturbing deaths in it too.

The blu-ray disc plays fine in both my Region A PS3 and my Region 2 standalone player (so the disc is multi-region)!!! Cool!

The picture is pin-sharp and very, very detailed... every gross blister on the burns victim is resolved in awesome clarity. The film is very dark and drab so there is no colourful scenes but it has a very 3D picture.

The sound is also very clear and involving. The creepy score is all around the room and there is much discrete surround activity from the back of the room. The bottom end and bass is very powerful and unsettling. The film has a few action scenes but it is not an action movie so no real fireworks. But a very effective DolbyTrueHD soundtrack all the same.

The extras are excellent and very interesting. The PIP works superbly well.

Recommended if you like effective and realistic thrillers in the vein as "Se7en" and "Silence of the Lambs". Good disc too.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone at HTF giving "UNTRACEABLE" blu-ray a spin.

Be interested in your comments. On my set-up it looks awesome!

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
This was one of the dumbest movies I have seen in a while. So many plot holes; I almost gave up on it but I stuck with it until the end. Certainly glad I rented it and not blind bought.
PQ was average. TrueHD track was 6/10 - I've certainly heard better.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that you mention Silence of the Lambs and Seven because the exact thing I heard about this film was that it's a Silence/Seven wannabe that fails miserably. I thought about renting it, but heard it was so bad that it wasn't even worth watching.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Your loss. Nearly everyone I know who has seen it thought it was BETTER than they had heard. No... it isn't "Silence of the Lambs" but it is an engrossing thriller and I can't remember there being lots of plot flaws at all.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the mini review. I rented it and ened up buying it anyway. Had some guests come over to watch it and they liked it. Funny that those two other films were mentioned because those were the exact same two films I told my niece she should watch with reference to this film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Technically, the Blu-Ray did look and sound great.

The movie was a mess, though. It's the cinematic definition of Irony. This film really wanted to come down on our fascination as a culture watching horrific events by serving up horrific deaths for our entertainment.

I read a review for "Natural Born Killers" that had a quote that perfectly sums up that movie and this, "It got off on the violence it was condemning."

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody remember the X-Files spin-off Millennium?

The writer of Untraceable pretty much swiped the plot of a Millennium episode about a serial killer (a thinly veiled Zodiac killer redubbed Avatar) who killed victims on a Webcam when his Web site reached a certain number of hits, thereby making Websurfers his accomplices. It's worth a watch.

I thought Untraceable was great until it fell into the trap a lot of these movies do - the killer is a supergenius with a foolproof plan who suddenly starts behaving like a doofus in the final act, allowing the protaganist to catch him/blow him away Clint Eastwood-style.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this movie is garbage.
Dont start a mvie with a kitten being tortured to death and expect me to
be able to have a good opinion on the movie.

plot screw up.

daughter downloads a "game" onto their home computer that she "thinks" is from her friend, and the "expert" on viruses doesn't even double check it or
look at it before she loads it onto the pc.

how about the a-hole police chief who does the opposite of everything his
people ask him to do.
just because, "i have no choice".

she just happens to cross the same bridge seen earlier in the film and he ...
uhhh i can't take it, this is just so so bad all the way around.

one of the worst movies i have seen

.plus we have to sit and watch these people being tortured to death.

how can anyone enjoy this type of film.

isnt this film a statement on itself and the people who like this stuff.

just like the website in this movie they will continue to create
these torture films as long as people keep watching them.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just watched this over the weekend and wish I would have read this thread first.

I completely agree with TonyD on the major plot holes.

The technical aspects alone are so far from reality it is funny. There is nothing untraceable about the internet.

And I also had a huge problem with this so-called FBI tech person not having firewalls and virus scanner on her personal computer. One that she know her little girl downloads things on.

The biggest problem for me was when she saw her SUV start to work again and she doesn't look first before getting back in. The dude was just crouched down in the back seat. She would have easily seen him when she shined the flashlight in the window.

Sigh, I just needed to find a thread about this movie and vent.....

It did look good on BD at least.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Sony IMO is the top studio for treatment of their Blu-ray releases (PQ) and minimal DNR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks