What's new

Universal's $10 Instant Savings promotion (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
When I stopped by Best Buy to pick up McMillian & Wife S1, McCloud S1&2 and Columbo S3 I noticed each one had a little red & white sticker on the front.

"Part of the NBC Mystery Movie series!
Save $10 Instantly when you buy 2 of the 3"
(the 3 I listed above)

Apparently the deal runs from 8/9/05 - 10/31/05.

That was a nice suprise!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the heads up Jon.
i was going to wait on these sets until the next DDD sale, but for only $3 more each (that includes $2 in sales tax), i might as well get them now and have them to enjoy over the next few months.

kind of disappointed to see that McMillian & Wife uses two standard sized keepcases rather than the new slim packs.
i'm sure Universal felt that the consumer would feel ripped off paying the same price for 2 slim packs vs 3 from the others, but i kind of feel insulted that they would take me for a fool. that, and the uneccessay hogging of shelf space.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
As a note for those who may not have made their purchases yet...

I was in a local Wal-Mart yesterday and noticed the Columbo S3 set did NOT have the sticker. Then again, they only had Columbo. No McMillan & Wife or McCloud.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Best Buy last night to pick up McMillan & Wife and saw the $10 off coupon so I decided to pick up Columbo S3, too! Nice surprise.

I must have been the first person to buy with the coupon as the clerk had to call the manager to figure out the 'code' so that I could get the $10.00 off and the Reward Zone discount, meaning I only paid $16.00 and change for Columbo! Nice surprise. Thank you, Universal. ;)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

No, they also had it at BJs and the Columbo set I got from Digital Eyes also had the sticker.

BTW, how have people been doing with these sets? My Columbo and McCloud sets each had a bad disc so I got replacements. Now, whenever Universal announces a set I want, my excitement is quickly tempered by the thought that I'll have to replace the set.

People have suggested it's a player problem. Well, I've tried the bad discs on my Panasonic recorder, and Sony and JVC players and the problems occur on each one.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I play my DVD's on a Magnavox MRD200 All-In-One Home Entertainment System. The only problem I have had with Universal were the A-Team DVD's from Season 2. I have bought Magnum P.I., A-Team, Knight Rider, Buck Rogers and a few more and haven't had any problems with them.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i had a scene pixilate and skip on the McCloud set (disc 2, side a, second episode at the 1 hour mark).
one of the discs in that set was loose and a lightly scratched but it wasn't the one i had the problem with.

i had 0 problems with the Kojak set , which was 3 double sided discs).
McCloud and Quincy (which was also scratched and what i attribute to the cause of the problems on that one) were the only ones i've had issues with so far.
i also had ascratched disc in the Dragnet set, but luckliy all the episodes on that side played ok.

however, i'm still only on the first disc of Buck Rogers (bought last Nov) so i may yet encounter some problems there (and i'll have a hard time getting a replacement from Amazon if thats the case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks