Universal: War 10-Movie Collection (unreleased titles!) 06/04

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marcel H., Mar 26, 2013.

1. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I'm crossing my fingers that Jet Pilot somehow ends up academy ratio in this re-release, though it's probably not going to happen.

2. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    It has, but only in low budget versions. I'm gonna pick up this set just for that title!

3. RLane777

RLane777 Agent

Rick
    Wake Island, To Hell and Back and Battle Hymn are also on a Universal "Four-Movie Marathon: Classic War Collection" released in 2011. Jet Pilot was released on a Universal "John Wayne - An American Icon Collection" in 2006 in which it is Widescreen on that collection. Since Bengal Birgade and In Enemy Country were produced by Universal Pictures I really hope they are good quality.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Universal released it a couple of times on DVD that I wouldn't call low budget versions.

5. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

the only dvd release that was supposedly considered low budget was raid on rommel which was released a number of years ago along with away all boats by GOODTIMES video.

6. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Universal really should be releasing some these on blu-ray.

7. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Just as an FYI, I picked up the 10 Westerns Collection a week ago or so and those 10 movies were jammed onto 3 discs. The first disc holding 4 movies, the other 2 holding 3. To say that the bitrates were low would be an understatement. To put it in perspective, the average dual-layer disc is considered to be good for about 3.5 hours of video at a nice healthy bitrate. Disc 1 with the 4 westerns runs 5.5 hours. The quality doesn't quite sink to the Mill Creek/Echo Bridge level, but it is noticably lower than we're typically used to from the majors.

Brent Reid likes this.
  8. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

^ This was the nature of my question on the previous page.
    Which were the titles found on the first disc?

9. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Sorry for the slow response. The first disc consisted of When the Daltons Rode / Texas Rangers Ride Again / The Spoilers (1942) / The Virginian (1946) for a total running time of about 5 hours and 26 minutes.

The second disc consisted of Albuquerque / Whispering Smith / Comanche Territory for a total running time of about 4 hours and 14 minutes.

The third disc consisted of Sierra / Kansas Raiders / Tomahawk for a total running time of about 4 hours and 5 minutes.

As you can tell, all three discs are going to have to be aggressively compressed just to fit the total running time, some more than others. The result is predictably more mpeg compression artifacts strewn throughout the features. Naturally, the bigger the display, the more distracting this becomes.

Brent Reid likes this.
  10. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Hi Robert,

Are you 100% sure that Jet Pilot is wide screen? I just read an Amazon review, and they mentioned it was full screen. Sure be nice to finally get this on DVD in its correct aspect ratio. I could retire my LD version at last!

11. Danoldrati

Danoldrati Stunt Coordinator

Dan Oldrati

Hi
    I just checked my copy and "Jet Pilot" is 1.85.

12. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

Thanks much for checking! Looks like my laserdisc version will have to continue to be in service...:)