What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Here is an updated list of Universal tv season sets which have not been re-released yet as single-sided discs in america.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - seasons 2 and 5
Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3
Las Vegas - seasons 1 and 2
Alfred Hitchcock Presents - season 1
Seaquest DSV - season 1
Cleopatra 2525 - Complete Series (2000)
Earth 2 - The Complete Series

For these nine titles ^, the only way I can see them being re-released as single-sided discs is if all the old inventory is sold out, and/or complete series sets are released.

Quincy, M.E. - seasons 1/2
Adam-12 - season 1
Kojak - season 1
Dragnet 1967 - season 1
Baa Baa Black Sheep - volume 1

For these five titles ^ which were continued by Shout Factory, the only way I can see them being re-released as single-sided disc sets, is if Shout Factory releases complete series sets for these five shows.

I strongly suspect Universal has already "washed their hands" of these five shows.

McCloud - seasons 1/2. (This was re-released overseas, but not in america).

Unless somebody else like VEI, Shout Factory, etc .. picks up McCloud for region 1, most likely Universal has also already "washed their hands" of it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of Fox, I'm not particularly optimistic about them re-releasing their double-sided flipper disc tv seasons sets as single-sided discs.

The only cases I can think of which there might be some hope (however small), could be NYPD Blue, Big Valley, and Bones.

In the case of NYPD Blue, seasons 3 and 4 were originally released as double-sided flipper discs. Season 10 was just released by Shout Factory, while season 11 will be released this coming November. Hopefully the final season 12 will be released sometime next year.

If Shout Factory ever releases a complete series set for NYPD Blue, seasons 3 and 4 might be redone as single-sided discs. (ie. Similar to what Shout Factory did for seasons 1 and 2 of Hill Street Blues in the complete series set, where seasons 1 and 2 were originally released as double-sided flipper discs by Fox back in 2006).

Similar story for Big Valley, if Shout Factory ever releases a complete series set. (Season 1 and season 2 vol1 were originally released as double-sided flipper discs back in 2006-07).

In the case of Bones, season 1 was released as double-side flipper discs. Since Bones will be ending next year, there is a small possibility of Fox releasing a complete series set. The question is whether Fox will repress season 1 as single-sided discs.

Last edited:

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
Law & Order Criminal Intent - season 3

Which is why I'm glad to have a multi-region DVD player and imported the above season from Amazon UK, which has thankfully single-sided DVDs. (Along with the already-mentioned S1 of Bones.) Funny how other countries get better quality releases (in some cases) than we do domestically.

On a related note, I'm also very happy to replace all the double-sided Remington Steele US sets with the sets sold from the German Amazon store. All seasons are single sided there.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Funny how other countries get better quality releases (in some cases) than we do domestically.

Definitely.

For example, Madman released the entire Alfred Hitchcock Presents and McCloud as single-sided discs in australia.

In contrast in america, Alfred Hitchcok Presents season 1 was double-side flipper discs while season 6 was released as dvd-mod. Grrrrr .....

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding Warner Brothers, there's THE FLINTSTONES Season and Series DVD sets, which regrettably, STILL have those annoying last disc of each season flippers!

I mention this, because Amazon Canada has the complete series for under $50 Canadian as the "Deal of the Day", which I briefly entertained the notion of buying instead of my pre-ordered Frankenstein and The Wolf Man Legacy Blu-ray sets, until I remembered those annoying double sided discs, which I'm trying to get away from! To top it off, the cardboard sleeves are ridiculously tight!

But don't just take my word for it! Here's a demonstration video from January, 2016:

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regarding Warner Brothers, there's THE FLINTSTONES Season and Series DVD sets, which regrettably, STILL have those annoying last disc of each season flippers!

In other Warner 70s/80s cartoons which had double-side flipper discs, there was a Superfriends set and also a Batman set which each had a dvd14 flipper disc, which have not been re-released yet as single-sided discs.

Also a 90s era Superman cartoon, where all the seasons had double-sided flipper discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Flintstones complete series set was pretty annoying.

I ended up taking all the discs out and putting them into some surplus dvd cases. Fortunately there was no warping damage to the discs in my copy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Flintstones complete series set was pretty annoying.

I ended up taking all the discs out and putting them into some surplus dvd cases. Fortunately there was no warping damage to the discs in my copy.
In all seriousness, if it wasn't for those !@#$% flipper discs, I would've likely ordered that Flintstones complete series DVD set, but I just won't buy any more double sided discs if I can avoid it, especially combined with that stupid tight@$$ sleeve packaging!

Warner really needs to do something about that set, as they are losing sales because of the above issues! :P

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Warner really needs to do something about that set, as they are losing sales because of the above issues! :P

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Warner does absolutely nothing until all the old original Flinstones dvd inventory sells out (both individual seasons sets and the complete series).

Warner doesn't seem to be wiling to write off old flipper inventory readily.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Warner does absolutely nothing until all the old original Flinstones dvd inventory sells out (both individual seasons sets and the complete series).

Warner doesn't seem to be wiling to write off old flipper inventory readily.
Unlike Universal, whose current inventory includes three sets of Abbott & Costello DVD collections, including the over a decade old 4 volume "Best Of" Franchise Flipper disc set (OK, the "Best Of" volumes are technically separate, but I'm lumping them together for the sake of simplicity!)! :P

Warner replacing 1 disc from each of the six seasons of THE FLINTSTONES would be a heck of a lot less expensive than for fans to have to double dip for all six seasons if/when they do finally get around to issuing 100% singled sided DVD and/or Blu-ray sets of these! :rolleyes:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Warner replacing 1 disc from each of the six seasons of THE FLINTSTONES would be a heck of a lot less expensive than for fans to have to double dip for all six seasons if/when they do finally get around to issuing 100% singled sided DVD and/or Blu-ray sets of these! :rolleyes:

There could be other factors at play, which is not visible to outsiders.

For example, the managers running the home video division might frown upon their underlings doing massive writeoffs.

Another factor might possibly be Warner manufacturing too many copies of flipper sets during dvd's heydays, that they're now stuck with tons of unsold inventory in their warehouses. (No easy way to know for sure, from an outsider's perspective).

etc ....

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There could be other factors at play, which is not visible to outsiders.

For example, the managers running the home video division might frown upon their underlings doing massive writeoffs.

Another factor might possibly be Warner manufacturing too many copies of flipper sets during dvd's heydays, that they're now stuck with tons of unsold inventory in their warehouses. (No easy way to know for sure, from an outsider's perspective).

etc ....
True, but I'm thinking Warner's situation regarding that can't be any worse than Universal's, who are obviously NOT bothering with write offs, but just hoping some unsuspecting "patsies" will eventually buy off their remaining Flipper DVD inventory, even as they've also issued single sided versions. I mean, are those Abbott & Costello Franchise Flipper Disc Volumes EVER going to go out of print? :P

Just two different approaches, I suppose!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I mean, are those Abbott & Costello Franchise Flipper Disc Volumes EVER going to go out of print? :P

One could ask who exactly is holding all that old Universal flipper inventory.

Is it third-party dealers/distributors who are still holding all that old flipper inventory?

Or is it actually still the property of Universal? (ie. Still on Comcast/NBC/Universal's books).

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One could ask who exactly is holding all that old Universal flipper inventory.

Is it third-party dealers/distributors who are still holding all that old flipper inventory?

Or is it actually still the property of Universal? (ie. Still on Comcast/NBC/Universal's books).
Good question!

At least Universal's '04 Legacy sets, which include Flippers mixed with single sided DVDs, seem to have finally slipped into used copies, via Amazon Marketplace status on Amazon.

Here's the '04 Dracula set, just as an example: https://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Coll...00UGPDK1A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That sheds a little perspective regarding pricing for the upcoming Frankenstein and The Wolf Man Complete Legacy Blu-ray sets. This leaves me even less inclined to complain about duplicate Titles!

CHEERS! :).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Here's an updated list of TV shows on flippers that I still have in my collection. This list ONLY reflects shows that I currently own:

Adam-12 - Season 1
Addams Family - Seasons 1-3
Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season 1
Dallas - Seasons 1-13
Dragnet (1967) - Season 1
Dukes Of Hazzard - Seasons 2, 3 & 6
Flintstones - Seasons 1-5 (disc 4 only)
Flipper - Season 1
Green Acres - Seasons 1-2
Hong Kong Phooey (disc 2 only)
Huckleberry Hound Show (disc 4 only)
Hullabaloo (Volumes 1-4)
In Living Color - Seasons 3-5
Josie & The Pussycats (disc 2 only)
Kojak - Season 1
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (2 feature-length films)
Lone Gunmen
Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 2 (disc 3 only)
Music Scene (Volume 1)
MST3K - The Crawling Hand / Hellcats (individual episode releases)
New Zoo Revue
Rocky & Bullwinkle - Season 2
Roots: The Next Generation (mini-series)
Time Tunnel - Seasons 1-2
Waltons - Seasons 8-9
Yogi Bear Show (discs 3 & 4 only)

If anybody has any info on Region 1 non-flipper releases on any of the above, please let me know!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Good question!

At least Universal's '04 Legacy sets, which include Flippers mixed with single sided DVDs, seem to have finally slipped into used copies, via Amazon Marketplace status on Amazon.

Here's the '04 Dracula set, just as an example: https://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Coll...00UGPDK1A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

As a wild guess, I wouldn't be surprised if the old flipper legacy sets were starting to be finally written off just slight before the "Universal Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection" single-sided discs dvd set was released in September 2014.

For other Universal double-sided flipper disc titles, I remember many of the old flipper tv season sets were being massively dumped at Costco (for less than $10 a pop) shortly before the individual single-sided discs re-released versions were starting to show up at places like Wallyworld, BB, etc ... (ie. Stuff like Magnum PI, the original Knight Rider, The A-Team, Miami Vice, etc ...).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I mention this, because Amazon Canada has the complete series for under $50 Canadian as the "Deal of the Day", which I briefly entertained the notion of buying instead of my pre-ordered Frankenstein and The Wolf Man Legacy Blu-ray sets, until I remembered those annoying double sided discs, which I'm trying to get away from! To top it off, the cardboard sleeves are ridiculously tight!

But don't just take my word for it! Here's a demonstration video from January, 2016:

Saw that earlier, and saw inside how that Flintstones lot release was packaged. It's bad enough having the singles in tight in those sleeves, but having the doubles like that too-- now that's smoke-poor right there!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Saw that earlier, and saw inside how that Flintstones lot release was packaged. It's bad enough having the singles in tight in those sleeves, but having the doubles like that too-- now that's smoke-poor right there!

In hindsight, I should have paid slightly more and purchased the six individual season sets of the original Flintstones, instead of the annoying complete series set. (That is, if one is not willing to wait for a hypothetical future single-sided discs re-release).

I guess I got very lucky that time around, with no warping damage nor any glue leaking, scratches, etc .. on the discs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
...I mean, are those Abbott & Costello Franchise Flipper Disc Volumes EVER going to go out of print?
According to Michael's Movie Mahem, V1 & V3 *are* OOP with V2 & V4 still in print. So there's hope... but all of those need to go OOP.

While I've had odd issues with almost every distributor of DS discs, those DVD18s from Uni have been the most problematic. Fox, at least for me, comes in second with several discs from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1 (V1 & V2) and one disc from Land of the Giants proving troublesome on a episode or two. I was able to get the LOTG set replaced (very lucky there as I apparently purchased it during its closeout phase) but never did replace those VTTBOTS volumes. While I find them somewhat distasteful I've not yet had issues with any flippies from Warner.

I've had so many issues with the Universal flippies that I now avoid any series/set from them with those type discs, even if it's a highly desired series.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
According to Michael's Movie Mahem, V1 & V3 *are* OOP with V2 & V4 still in print. So there's hope... but all of those need to go OOP.

While I've had odd issues with almost every distributor of DS discs, those DVD18s from Uni have been the most problematic. Fox, at least for me, comes in second with several discs from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S1 (V1 & V2) and one disc from Land of the Giants proving troublesome on a episode or two. I was able to get the LOTG set replaced (very lucky there as I apparently purchased it during its closeout phase) but never did replace those VTTBOTS volumes. While I find them somewhat distasteful I've not yet had issues with any flippies from Warner.

I've had so many issues with the Universal flippies that I now avoid any series/set from them with those type discs, even if it's a highly desired series.
Yes, I do see the Abbott & Costello Franchise sets are now mostly sold by Amazon Marketplace vendors, although the price points aren't generally in the stratospheric range, yet!

In terms of play-ability, the only two instances that I recall having issues with Flipper discs, were in fact, with Volumes 1 and 3 of the Best Of Abbott & Costello Franchise Collection sets, although I had to exchange Volume 1 twice, as each instance involved the opposite disc. In the second instance, the Associate in our local Wal-Mart's Customer Service allowed me to keep the disc that did work, which saved me making any more trips

My reasoning for wanting to avoid the dreaded double sided discs goes deeper than that. Besides not wanting the hassle of having to worry about scratching and/or smearing both sides of discs, I really really HATE having to squint in an attempt (Usually a vain one these days, as eyesight doesn't generally improve with age!) to make out the insanely tiny lettering that circles the center portion of these annoying Flippers! I swear that the content I want to view at any given time will end up being on the other side of the disc at least 8 times out of 10! :P

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks