What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Picked up some flipper disc season sets yesterday. They were library cutouts/discards for a really low price.

Found the "North and South" 5-disc miniseries set, surprisingly in mint condition with no scratches. (Most likely it was a donation to the library, which the library decided not to use). It was three dvd-18 flippers and two single-sided discs.

What was odd was the third disc from "book 1" appeared to be a "rental" disc, that Blockbuster or Netflix would have used. On the label side of the single-sided disc, it had the words "RENTAL ONLY - NOT FOR RESALE". More generally, wonder if the Netflix single-sided versions of flipper discs from Warner and Universal, all looked like this?

Looking up this set on amazon, it appears this "North and South" miniseries set was re-released as an 8-disc single-sided discs set back in September 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/North-South-Collection-David-Carradine/dp/B004EXWGIS/

The other flipper disc set I picked up was season 1 of Paris Hilton's "The Simple Life". (It was in the "free stuff" bin).

It was a dvd-10 style flipper disc.

These days, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fox largely doesn't give a damn anymore about Paris Hilton. So unless she has a new revival surge in popularity, most likely Fox is not going to re-release "The Simple Life" as single-sided dvd discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(For completeness).

Here's a list of the new (and old) ASIN numbers of these Alliance/E-one 2010 tv season set releases in Canada. If anybody orders any of these Alliance/E-one released dvd season sets, one should order the version with the new ASIN, and not the old ASIN. (I'll list the old ASIN numbers in parentheses for reference as to what to avoid).

Mutant X

- season 1

new ASIN - B007VB8UKS

(old ASIN - B003UTTUV8 )

- season 2

new ASIN - B005A7HVPK

(old ASIN - B003VPX5YO )

Recently picked up the the repackaged re-releases of these two sets in generic viva multidisc sets.

(I've seen the original versions of these two sets in the atrocious packaging which warped the discs).

jcroy said:
The following don't appear to have any updated ASIN numbers.

Mutant X

- season 3

(ASIN - B003Z9K5YY )

Of these four titles, so far I have only seen Robocop and season 2 of The Hunger in the old crappy atrocious packaging. I have not seen the other two titles yet in local retail bricks-and-mortar stores. So I cannot confirm whether they are still in the old crappy packaging, or if the packaging was generic viva 6-disc dvd cases all along.

Unfortunately, so far I have not seen any repackaged re-released version for season 3 of Mutant X.

In the same dump bins where I found the repackaged re-releases of seasons 1 and 2 of Mutant X, so far I have only seen season 3 in the original atrocious packaging.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Noticed this per Ebay: the repackaged first and second-season releases of CHiPs are single-sided releases, 6 discs apiece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHiPs-TV-Series-Complete-First-Second-Season-1-2-DVD-VERY-GOOD/261768468561?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D3dd9b5e30fa74d429c4e1f0505d8312b%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261768468561

I don't know if the repackaged second-season one has the same bonuses as the original double release, but at least, as above stated, the discs therein are single-sided.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
bmasters9 said:
Noticed this per Ebay: the repackaged first and second-season releases of CHiPs are single-sided releases, 6 discs apiece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHiPs-TV-Series-Complete-First-Second-Season-1-2-DVD-VERY-GOOD/261768468561?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D3dd9b5e30fa74d429c4e1f0505d8312b%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261768468561

I don't know if the repackaged second-season one has the same bonuses as the original double release, but at least, as above stated, the discs therein are single-sided.

IIRC, the original CHiPs season 2 set had three double-sided flipper discs and one single-sided disc. The single-sided disc had the special features stuff.

The question is whether the single-sided discs re-release of season 2 is just a straight repress of the flipper disc sides onto single-sided dvd discs, or if there was some re-authoring done (ie. such as side 3B and the special features discs being reauthored into a single-sided dvd-9 disc).

With Warner's recent track record of being lazy, it wouldn't be too surprising if the single-sided discs re-release of season 2 was just a straight repress of the flipper sides into single-sided dvd discs, and dropping the original special features disc.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
jcroy said:
With Warner's recent track record of being lazy, it wouldn't be too surprising if the single-sided discs re-release of season 2 was just a straight repress of the flipper sides into single-sided dvd discs, and dropping the original special features disc.

That would be more than likely what happened with it, IMO (that the repackaged second-season release is an episodes-only, no-frills release). Had it had the bonuses, it would have probably been a 7-disc release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only Warner single-sided discs re-releases of flipper sets which had any reauthoring done (which I can think of offhand), would be earlier seasons of The Waltons.

IIRC the original flipper versions of the earlier seasons of The Waltons, had three episodes per flipper disc side while the single-sided discs re-released versions had four/five episodes per single-sided disc. Most likely this was done to avoid dealing with 8-10 single-sided disc sets, if lazy straight represses of the flipper sides were done.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just yesterday purchased the recent third-season (1979-80) release of CHiPs, and while the discs have much the same design on the labels as the repackaged first- and second-season releases (outside of this recent one being labeled "The Complete Third Season"), the disc labels on this one are in varying shades of blue, unlike the first and second releases, where each one has a uniform color for the discs (first one orange, second one green). Just thought I'd bring that up.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This looks interesting, but is not 100% definitive).

On June 2, 2015, the season 2 to 7 sets of Dukes of Hazzard are being re-released in Canada.

season 2 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-fran%C3%A7ais/dp/B00U7KWAX8

season 3 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-français/dp/B00U7L8I8I

season 4 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-français/dp/B00U7KWAY2

season 5 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-français/dp/B00U7L2OTC

season 6 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-français/dp/B00U7KWAOC

season 7 - http://www.amazon.ca/Dukes-Hazzard-Season-Sous-titres-français/dp/B00U7KWASI

The front cover mockups in the above ^ amazon links, appear to be similar to other recent Warner re-releases such as: The Waltons, Gilligan's Island, Dukes of Hazzard season 1, etc ...

Though no definitive word on whether the season 2, 3, and 6 re-released sets will all be single-sided discs. (Season 4 was originally a 9-disc set, while seasons 5 was originally an 8-disc set, and season 7 was originally a 6-disc set).

But with that being said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the seasons 2, 3 and 6 re-releases end up being single-sided discs season sets, where the original flipper sides are replicated into single-sided discs with no reauthoring done. (ie. The lazy way).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
classicmovieguy said:
In the UK there is a Complete Series boxset of "Dallas", all on new single-sided discs. I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007N0IKKM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The disc count of 105 discs would appear to be consistent with Warner just replicating the flipper disc sides into single-sided sides. IIRC, the disc counts of the American seasons sets were:

season 1+2 = 5 flippers

season 3 = 4 flippers + 1 single-sided

season 4 = 4 flippers

season 5 = 4 flippers + 1 single-sided

season 6 = 5 flippers

season 7 = 5 flippers

season 8 = 5 flippers

season 9 = 4 flippers

season 10 = 3 flippers

season 11 = 3 flippers

season 12 = 3 flippers

season 13 = 3 flippers

season 14 = 5 single-sided

tv movies = 2 single-sided

(The 5th discs from seasons 3 and 5 appear on the surface to also be flippers, but the side5B's had no actual content on them. Only the side5A's had any actual content).

So if Warner did things the "lazy way" and just replicated the flipper sides into single-sided discs without any reauthoring, the total single-sided discs count would be:

10 + 9 + 8 + 9 + 10*3 + 8 + 6*4 + 5 + 2 = 105

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Over the last few years, I have seen the region 1 version of the Dallas complete series box set at places like Costco.

Though I just assumed it was the original flipper disc versions all bundled up into a box. There's very little information about this particular box set online, whether at amazon or via googling.

The only semi-reliable information I could find via googling, was from an ebay Canada posting:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dallas-Complete-Series-Seasons-1-14-All-Movies-DVD-set-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/231452099249

The posting quotes that it's a 55 disc set. (If one just adds up the original version discs, one would get a disc count of 57). So most likely this region 1 version box set is just the original flipper disc versions all bundled up into a box.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Oh man, that Region 2 Dallas set sounds pretty sweet. I wish we could get it in Region 1, although I'm still holding out hope for a complete series Blu-ray set someday.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mr. Handley said:
Oh man, that Region 2 Dallas set sounds pretty sweet. I wish we could get it in Region 1

(This is strictly locally anecdotal).

Lately I've been noticing the original Dallas flipper season sets have been flooding the local dump bins. Similar story with the original Dukes of Hazzard season sets.

For that matter, tons of older Fox tv season sets have also been flooding the local dump bins and dollar stores too.

Most of this stuff is ending up in the $6/$7 or less bins (or $1/$2 in the dollar stores).

If Warner and Fox are indeed massively liquidating tons of old flipper disc sets, and if this is not just a local thing, then perhaps Warner might possibly be re-releasing a bunch of stuff. (Dunno about Fox).

Mr. Handley said:
although I'm still holding out hope for a complete series Blu-ray set someday.

I suspect the problem with a hypothetical bluray version, would be whether seasons 10+ were edited on videotape. IIRC the video quality was rather crappy for the later seasons, which leads me to suspect they were edited on videotape.

No point in doing a bluray version if the existing transfers are SD resolution edited on videotape.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the videotape info on Dallas. I guess I just assumed everything was shot on film. I'd still love to see it on Blu-ray, but would be more than happy with single-sided DVD. This is one of those shows where I had some freezing issues with the dreaded flippers.

Also hoping that those new Dukes releases in Canada are single-sided.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My idle uninformed speculation would be that if Warner decides to do another region 1 american (or canadian) version of the complete series box set of Dallas, most likely it will be reissued as the original series 105 single-sided dvd discs along with the three seasons of the TNT Nu-Dallas (10 discs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks