What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mr. Handley said:
I sincerely hope that we've seen the last of any "new" product on flippers!
The only (relatively) recently released new product I have come across on double-sided dvd flipper discs, are the dvd copies that are enclosed in some HBO/Cinemax bluray-combo season sets.

(For example, my bluray combo pack of Cinemax's Strike Back season 1 has the dvd-copy as flipper discs).

Though I would imagine for many bluray customers, they might not really care about the dvd-copies being in the form of flipper discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(For completeness).

Here's a list of the new (and old) ASIN numbers of these Alliance/E-one 2010 tv season set releases in Canada. If anybody orders any of these Alliance/E-one released dvd season sets, one should order the version with the new ASIN, and not the old ASIN. (I'll list the old ASIN numbers in parentheses for reference as to what to avoid).

These ones I can confirm directly that the new ASIN numbers are indeed the repackaged re-releases (from my recent amazon.ca orders).

Lexx
- season 4
new ASIN - B0057GUDUY
(old ASIN - B003VPX5US )
I can confim that the new ASIN number for Lexx season 4, is indeed the repackaged re-released version. It is a 6-disk set in a generic viva dvd case.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
BobO'Link said:
^As did S1/S2. Those two recently received individual SS releases.
I remember that crappy foam packaging that held the discs in that original s1/s2 Sliders set. (The discs were single-sided to begin with).

The foam seemed to do weird things to the discs overtime. My copy looked like it was sitting in a warehouse for ages.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
jcroy said:
I remember that crappy foam packaging that held the discs in that original s1/s2 Sliders set. (The discs were single-sided to begin with).

The foam seemed to do weird things to the discs overtime. My copy looked like it was sitting in a warehouse for ages.
Of course they are since I didn't look at my set to verify before posting! I've been on somewhat a mission to replace them for so long because of the crappy package I'd zoned and begun thinking they were DS discs! And I'd still do it *if* the price were right.

Even so... that full series set is horribly overpriced! But if it gets a separate SS season 3 release out there as a result it'll be a good thing...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
BobO'Link said:
Even so... that full series set is horribly overpriced! But if it gets a separate SS season 3 release out there as a result it'll be a good thing...
Most likely the price will tumble after awhile.

I might pick up the Quantum Leap complete series set, once it hits the $50 mark (or less). For that matter, if the seasons 2 to 5 single-sided discs re-released sets are released individually and are less than $15 a pop. (Whichever comes first).

For Sliders, I only really want the season 3 set re-released as single-side discs. (I already have all the other sets). The complete series set would have to hit rock bottom prices for me to pull the trigger. Otherwise I can wait for season 3 to be re-released as an individual set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The other thing that is really annoying about flipper discs, is when the manufacturer completely drops the ball and ends up manufacturing flippers with the wrong content on a disk side.

Recently I ordered Alien Nation - Ultimate Movie Collection, which had the five post-series telemovies. The five movies were:

- Dark Horizon
- Body and Soul
- Millennium
- The Enemy Within
- The Udara Legacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nation_%281989_TV_series%29#DVD_release

Much to my dismay, my copy only had four of the movies. The flipper discs had two copies of the same movie "Millennium", while the "Body and Soul" movie was missing.

So I ended up returning it for an exchange. Hopefully the replacement copy will have all the correct five movies.

(The previous time I came across a mis-manufactured flipper disc with the wrong content, was when I first got the season 1+2 set of the original Dallas, which I later returned).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the amazon reviews for Alien Nation - Ultimate Movie Collection, I noticed there were a few reviews which mentioned mis-manufactured flipper discs with the wrong movie.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

I suppose this hammers home the point, that one should immediately check every new purchase of a dvd/bluray disc as soon as one gets home. Even if it's to minimally check whether the discs have all the correct content, and to find if there are any incorrectly manufactured discs with the wrong content.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
The Hunger

- season 1
new ASIN - B005OA71BC
(old ASIN - B003FLLPYG )

The following don't appear to have any updated ASIN numbers.

The Hunger

- season 2
(ASIN - B003FLLPYQ )

Against my better judgement, I recently picked up seasons 1 and 2 of The Hunger in the original atrocious crappy packaging, after finding them in the local dump bins. (They were too good of a deal to pass up).

To find a set that had the least likelihood of the discs being warped by the atrocious packaging, I looked for the sets which made the most amount of "noise" from loose discs sliding around in the package, when the package was shaken. Fortunately when I got home and opened up the two packages, none of the discs were warped or scratched.

I guess I got lucky this time around.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Recently found "The Lone Gunmen" complete series set in the local dump bins.

It turns out the three flippers from this set are dvd-10 discs.

Less problematic than dvd-14 and dvd-18 type flippers, but still annoying.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(This is probably superfluous and not very exciting).

It appears the seasons 2 to 6 dvd sets of House MD are all being re-released on February 10, 2015. Most likely it's just a straight repackaging of the old discs.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Picked up the single-sided complete series for Gilligan's Island for only 25 bucks at Best Buy over the weekend. I'm slowly but surely replacing all of my old flippers (at least the ones that CAN be replaced). Still holding out hope for a complete original Dallas re-issue (preferably BD).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Picked up "Space Above and Beyond" from a nearby dump bin, which consisted of five flipper discs. (The price was too good of a deal to pass up).

The 1st and 5th flipper discs from this set, were dvd-14 type double-sided discs. (ie. 4 episodes on side A, and two episodes on side B).

The remaining 2nd, 3rd, and 4th flipper discs were dvd-10 type double-side discs. (ie. Two episodes per side).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wish that they'd fix season 1 for Dragnet, Emergency, and Adam-12 (And season 2 of Emergency was also flippers, although they seemed to work better).

Wouldn't even mind if Emergency stayed the same as the flippers, even though season 1 apparently has since been remastered, since it still looked much better than the bulk of the remainder of the seasons that regularly showed evidence of print damage and other issues.

I wish the full remastered run of Emergency would appear on Blu-Ray, but I'm not holding my breath.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
LeoA said:
I wish that they'd fix season 1 for Dragnet, Emergency, and Adam-12 (And season 2 of Emergency was also flippers, although they seemed to work better).

In the cases of Dragnet 1967 and Adam 12, at this point I can only see them being reissued as single-sided dvd discs if Shout Factory decides to release "complete series" sets for these two shows. (ie. Similar to what was done for Leave It To Beaver).

For Emergency, most likely the first few seasons will be redone as single-sided discs when Universal releases a complete series set. (ie. Similar to what was done for Quantum Leap, Magnum PI, Murder She Wrote, etc ...).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(For completeness).

Here's a list of the new (and old) ASIN numbers of these Alliance/E-one 2010 tv season set releases in Canada. If anybody orders any of these Alliance/E-one released dvd season sets, one should order the version with the new ASIN, and not the old ASIN. (I'll list the old ASIN numbers in parentheses for reference as to what to avoid).

These ones I can't confirm directly, but they do have updated ASIN numbers on amazon.ca and/or I have seen (or purchased) the repackaged re-releases in local retail bricks-and-mortar stores. (I have the repackaged re-releases of Andromeda, Beastmaster, season 1 of F/X, and season 2 of the revived Outer Limits, which I purchased around a year ago at some local bricks-and-mortar stores).

Adventures of Sinbad

- season 1

new ASIN - B004WBZUPI

(old ASIN - B003ZXNCFO )

The following don't appear to have any updated ASIN numbers.

Adventures of Sinbad

- season 2
(ASIN - B0049EVR1E )

Recently picked up these two titles from a local bargain bin. They're the repackaged re-released versions in generic viva multidisc cases.

(A few years ago I've seen the original version of season 1, in its original atrocious packaging which warped the discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
Not really my type of shows, but some Lionsgate re-releases/re-packages of ABC shows.

Dirty Sexy Money - seasons 1 and 2

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Sexy-Money-Season-1/dp/B0077PTWX2

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Sexy-Money-Season-2/dp/B0077PTWH8

Found these two in the bargain bin awhile ago.

For those who consider it an issue, these two particular Lionsgate re-releases of "Dirty Sexy Money" appear to be absent of deliberate bad sectors schemes (ie. more virulent strains of Arccos, etc ...). These two sets were originally released by Buena Vista back in 2008 and 2009.

IIRC during the years of 2006 to 2010, many Buena Vista/ABC/Disney dvd releases of tv season sets were filled with really nasty deliberate bad sector schemes. (Such as for shows like Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, LOST, Grey's Anatomy, etc ...). After 2010, Buena Vista appeared to stop using such extreme deliberate bad sectors schemes on their subsequent dvd tv season set releases.

(EDIT: Offhand, I can't really think of anybody else who used nasty deliberate bad sectors schemes on their tv season set dvd releases, other than the "Blade: The Complete series" dvd set released in 2006 by New Line. In the case of Blade, it was only the first disc which had nasty deliberate bad sectors schemes, while discs 2 to 4 were fine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks