What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (4 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In hindsight, this Alliance crappy atrocious packaging that warped the discs, is almost just as bad as the Universal flipper disc debacle.

At least in the case of Alliance/E-one, they corrected their error within a year or two.

In contrast, it took Universal almost a decade to eventually correct the flipper disc debacle. :thumbsdown:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
Back in 2010, Alliance/E-one released a bunch of sci-fi/fantasy/action tv show season sets in really atrocious packaging which frequently warped the discs such that they were not playable or had major playback problems. (This really crappy dvd packaging was similar in style to cases Universal used for some mid-late 2010 bluray releases like: Heroes season 4, House season 6, The Office season 6, etc ... and the Sanctuary seasons 1 and 2 bluray sets, which all frequently warped the discs)
Here's some pictures of what this really atrocious packaging actually looks like. (These are pictures of the original dvd packaging of the season 2 set of the revived Outer Limits, released back in 2010 by Alliance).

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo2CEH5HIBY1YG1/B003BNO9GO
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo2RK6YX39SBUBT/B003BNO9GO

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^That looks just like the crappy packaging Shanachie used for Car 54 Where Are You?... The only difference is they put *2* discs per side instead of 3. I'm not a fan of "digi-paks" in any configuration but *these* are the absolutely worst I've ever seen!

Thanks for the warning on those! I've almost purchased them several times (I have the US released S1 & last season) but will now seek out the updated packaging versions.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
Lexx

- season 2
new ASIN - B0087CNB86
(old ASIN - B003H9LIX4 )

- season 3
new ASIN - B0087CNB7M
(old ASIN - B003TNVZY0 )
I can confirm directly that the new ASIN numbers for Lexx season 2 and season 3, are indeed the repackaged re-releases in generic viva dvd cases. (Season 3 was 4-discs, while season 2 was 5-discs).

(My amazon.ca order arrived today).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've read through this entire thread and it inspired me to go thru my collection over the weekend. I was surprised by how many flipper discs I actually own. Here's a list of flipper TV shows that I haven't seen posted here yet:

Flintstones - Seasons 1-5 (only disc 4 of each set is a flipper)
Hong Kong Phooey (only disc 2 is a flipper)
Huckleberry Hound Show (only disc 4 is a flipper)
Hullaballoo - Volumes 1-4 (this is actually just one disc and it's a flipper)
Josie & The Pussycats (only disc 2 is a flipper)
Mary Tyler Moore Show - Season 2 (only disc 3 is a flipper)
Music Scene - Volume 1
MST3K - The following episodes are flippers (The Creeping Hand / Catalina Caper / Hellcats / Creeping Terror / Bloodlust / Skydivers)
New Zoo Revue - Season 1
Rocky & Bullwinkle - Season 2
Roots - both original and "Next Generation" mini-series
Yogi Bear Show (only discs 3 & 4 are flippers)

Also, in addition to the Kolchak series proper, both the TV movies The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler are on a single flipper disc.

I also have several TV shows on flippers that have already been mentioned and I plan on replacing some of them with the single-sided re-issues. Thanks for all the info on those! I also have several flipper movies that I also plan to replace either with single-sided DVD or Blu-Ray where possible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for the update.

I'll have to go through my collection further, to see if I missed any flippers.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY! Universal has scheduled the release for Magnum P.I. Season 3, repackaged single sided DVD set, for sale on October 7th:
On that same day (Oct 7, 2014), it appears Universal is releasing tons of repackaged/re-released stuff, in addition to season 3 of Magnum PI.

(Won't bother with amazon links).

The Office - complete series
House MD - season 1
Psych - complete series
Psych - season 5
Psych - season 6
Murder She Wrote - seasons 9, 10, 11, and 12

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
$36 for the House repackaged season set? Universal is starting to increase the prices for these sets when the reissues should be under $25.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
$36 for the House repackaged season set? Universal is starting to increase the prices for these sets when the reissues should be under $25.
Most likely it will tumble relatively soon after release.

House season 1 seems to be a staple of the local dump bins, typically at $10 or $15. (Both the original non-anamorphic flipper disc version, and the 2009 anamorphic re-release).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(For completeness).

Relic Hunter

- season 3
new ASIN - B007VB8UZI
(old ASIN - B003FLLPXM )
I can confirm that the new ASIN number of Relic Hunter season 3, is indeed the repackaged re-released version.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With all these fixed single-sided re-releases, where's Season 1 of The Rockford Files? I *need* a good, playable, copy of that one to complete the series!!!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
BobO'Link said:
With all these fixed single-sided re-releases, where's Season 1 of The Rockford Files? I *need* a good, playable, copy of that one to complete the series!!!
With the recent passing of James Garner, perhaps Universal will take the opportunity to release vol 2 of the movies (in America), along with a complete series set of The Rockford Files. (With the publicity still relatively fresh).

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yes - the Rockford Files Movies Vol. 2 should have been out already. It's too bad Universal isn't more interested in getting their material out.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
Studios won't capitalize on the death of a recently deceased celebrity because of fallout from the public that tends to erupt.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
jcroy said:
(For completeness).

the revived Outer Limits
- season 6

new ASIN - B0076QS3A0
(old ASIN - B003UYUQZC )
I can confirm the new ASIN number for season 6 of the revived Outer Limits is indeed the repackaged re-released version in a generic viva 6-disk dvd case.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is probably superfluous.

I was at Costco yesterday and saw a repackaged re-released version of Boardwalk Empire season 1 in a generic viva multidisc dvd case, with a 2014 date on the back.

IIRC, the original 2012 release was a bulky digipak case, typical of many HBO season sets.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm in the process of replacing what flippers I can with the re-releases. Thanks again to those that provided info and Amazon links in this thread.

I'd really love to see the original Dallas get a one-sided re-release as a few of the episodes on my flippers have issues. I'm also holding out hope for the original Outer Limits and The Time Tunnel, not to mention the first seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the 1960s Dragnet. I'm also hoping for a complete BD set of The Flintstones. Those few cartoon sets with just the one flipper really bug me.

I'm also replacing what movies I can, although a few of them only got the flipper treatment.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i was at bj's and saw all of the seasons of knight rider and the a team at a low price, i believe $7.99 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks