Universal remote?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Kline, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Well it finally happened, I lost the remote for my receiver. It's gone. I've looked everywhere. It's like it grew legs and ran away. It wasn't even a great remote, but since I used my receiver to switch between my xbox/dvd, cable and cd player, it was really convienient. Now, I have a new dvd player. I connected that where the xbox was (it was on the dvd setting), and now the Xbox is connected to VCR1 and working fine, but in order to use the optical audio, I need to tell my receiver to use the optical plug set asside for the MiniDisc port that I wasn't using anyway. My receiver can do this, I can assign an optical port to any setting there is. But, I can't do it without the remote [​IMG] None of the buttons on the receiver itself can bring up the on-screen menu where I can adjust those settings [​IMG]

I have a yamaha receiver. I figure, now is the time to get a universal remote. I'd love to get a Pronto but I don't know if I can afford one, even the older models. I have a universal remote from radio shack that was highly recomended a year or 2 ago, but I never could get it to fully control my receiver and use it to switch devices around, etc, and i lost the instructions and got a lot of new components since then... So I guess now what I'm looking for is a learning / programmable remote that's fairly inexpensive and can take the place of my receiver's remote easily, but also have all the other functions I need. And of course, be fairly inexpensive (under $100). And lastly, something that doesn't need a brain surgeon to program. Any thoughts?

Is the ProntoNEO any good? Or if I'm going that route do I really just need to invest in the "real" ones? Also I have a Palm M130 that I never use anymore. Would that make a good remote? I heard there's a way to turn it into a palm pilot style remote.....

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Since you don't have the original remote, that Radio Shack remote is key to getting those functions into any new remote you get. It's fairly powerful; go to www.hifi-remote.com to figure out how to use it. There are manuals there, pay particular attention to the "advanced codes" section. Hopefully you don't have to resort to the "JP1" method, which is more involved.

The best sub-$100 remote by far is the Home Theater Master MX-500, IMO. Nothing else can touch it in this price range. But it's primarily learning; its built-in code database has some holes in it and you can't really move preprogrammed codes around easily (at least without the 3rd party IRClone add-on), so without the original Yamaha remote you need to get the Radio Shack remote configured to teach it.

3. Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul Stunt Coordinator

You could also try URC's model 200, same functionality as
    the MX-500 and can probably get it for cheaper.