What's new

Universal Remote won't work on Xbox 360 (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I have an Onkyo programmable remote which I love using and runs all my home theater components, I just recently got the xbox 360 and want to use it as my dvd movie player in place of my Toshiba (SD-4980).

So I program the XBox 360 remote functions into the Onkyo remote just as I would any other component, but it doesn't seem to work, it says its learning (gives 2 long flashes when key is successfully programmed, as opposed to 3 short flashes if it doesn't work) but when I point the onkyo remote at the xbox, it doesn't seem to be able to read the signal coming from it.

Any reason anyone know about for this?

Hank_P

Second Unit
does the xbox use bluetooth like the PS3? I'm not sure, but it may be the issue?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

does this mean my old Onkyo remote won't work???

Because it was excepting the programming from the XBOX remote. If the remote flashed twice slowly then it learned the function and it did almost everytime.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
The 360 uses IR. I can control it through my (first generation) Philips Pronto which is IR only. The controllers may use RF.

The IR window on the 360 is rather small, point the universal remote directly at the IR window and see if that helps.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

Nope, still doesn't work. I tried reprogramming it under 2 other device switches, SAT and CD as well as the DVD device and nothing on all three yet the remote says it is learning the codes.

Very frustrating, I hate having 2 remotes.

So now I'm looking at the Harmony for the Xbox, and the Harmony 880, But I'm now worried that anything other than something that says xbox will work.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
You probably will have to get a remote to get the 360 to work. I am using a 1st gen Pronto without any issues at all, but I also know that every Harmony will work it as well. That's the great thing about Web-based remotes, if it doesn't work today it will soon.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
well I got the Harmoney 880, and after a few short minutes, I'm back to just one remote.

The 5 year reign of the Onkyo remote is now gone, let the new king of remotes live longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks