What's new

Universal Remote Survey (1 Viewer)

Mark-JL

Auditioning
Just bought a MX-500 after reading all of the threads on it and outside reviews. I want to share my experience with people who may be shopping for a new remote.

It is all true. This remote is incredible. I have a very modest set-up but even at that, my remotes have zillions of buttons and quirky ways of doing things. I bought a 500 fully expecting to get most of the functions working but not all. That has been my experience with universal remotes. You get half a loaf and you should be grateful.

I am stunned. Not only does everything work, but programming it was easy. I mean it was really, really easy. Don’t even mess with the three digit codes. Just load up fresh batteries on your old remotes and have at it. I am an “average Joe” and can guarantee you, if I can do it, anybody can. The entire deal, including changing the text for the ‘favorite’ channels and testing all the functions, took a little over an hour and a half.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I recently tried the Harmony SST-659, and while I liked the functionality, I couldn't get over how short the batteries lasted (less than 2 weeks). Is this common? Is there any way of shutting off the remote without erasing its memory? Also, if the battery time is always this short, are there any rechargeable batteries that someone could suggest.
Also, has anyone compared the Harmony to any of the Home Theater Master remotes, namely the MX-500 and MX-600? They look pretty similar, but I like the idea of programming the remote without having to do it through the website. Thanks

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Battery life on the Harmony reportedly improves once you finish programming it, which apparently sucks a lot of juice.

Vs. the MX-series remotes:
I like the key layout of the MX-series quite a bit better, and would choose one of them for this reason alone. Transport keys are centralized, and the larger LCD area with more buttons gives you quicker access to more of your custom labeled functions without having to deal with switching LCD pages.

The main advantage of the Harmony is the "smart state" stuff which can make components without discrete codes behave better on the activity switching macros. Also, vs. the MX-500/600 (rather than MX-700/800, which support PC programming out of the box), with the Harmony you avoid possibly having to get a secondary cheap OneForAll remote to teach the MX-500/600 discrete codes for your macros. (Discrete codes are ones that tell your device to say "power ON", or "power OFF", rather than "toggle power", or "jump to input 3", rather than "cycle one input", and are very useful in building macros to make switching activities easy.)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Going on record that I love my new One For All Kameleon!

:)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Where did you buy your MX-500? Best price I could find is 114.00 shipped at etronics. Anyone able to beat that?

Ray**W

Auditioning
Hard to believe there isn't more support for the MX-700. The MX-500 is terrific, but the MX-700 gets to another level.

Big, big bene is being able to program on the PC using MX-Editor. Remote Central has gobs of files for the MX-700 and the aforementioned pronto ccf files.

Surf Remote Central and Blue Do usually have "open-box" specials for around $200, which is quite a discuont from the usual $359. That's how I got mine and it is pristine.

This remote lends itself to fantastic flexibility and I've set it up such that my wife doesn't need to push more than a couple of buttons to do anything. She's really happy and that allows me to be really happy.

This isn't an "I got one so you should" response. This thing simply warrants an extended look because it is that good.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I would compare the Harmony more to the MX-700 than the 500, since the 700 and Harmony remotes are both programmable via your PC. The Harmony uses a website and the MX-700 uses a PC-based application, but the concept is similar. The 500 is a learning remote only.

Personally, after owning a Marantz RC2000 MKII for several years, I really like being able to program a remote from a PC, as with the Harmony SST-659. The Marantz was a learning remote similar in concept and use to the MX-500.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Bluedo is pretty awesome if you want an MX500 or a HTmaster remote. They ship in no time flat and package it well.

That said I had a chance to toy with the MX500 and I don't like it compared to my Pronto 1000.

Consider me one of those people who like their Touch Screen Pronto and wouldn't change it for the world unless I wanted to get another Pronto. There is nothing it can't do.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I also got a Home Theater Master MX-500 after reading some recommendations here. It's the best remote I've ever used. Much, much better than the universal remote Sima SUR-20 I replaced. One thing about the MX-500 is that I wish it has a third page of buttons. I couldn't fit all the buttons from my Receiver/DVD Combo Player on a single device in MX-500. Had to pick and choose which buttons are less useful and so not mapped on my MX-500. Another thing is that I wish the joystick on MX-500 is a bit different. Right now, sometimes I have to press the middle button on the joystick a couple of times to get it to register. Not a biggie though.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Here's another vote for the HTM MX-500. I paid $105 for it and it's the first hard button remote I've tried (at any price range) that I really like. I don't like touch screens, but every many of those I've helped friends setup weren't too great. It's also the first I've used that I actually put away all my other remotes (7 total in my bedroom system). Great value!!!

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
If touchscreens are for you then the Prontos are the way to go.. If hardbutton is your thing then the HTM remotes are great..

SteveL

Agent
If you are a button type of guy, Hometheatermaster MX-700 works for me. Programs from your computer after you install the editor, and if by chance a device is not in data base, learning is a snap. I had six, now I have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks