What's new

Universal Reissues: Charley Varrick & Madigan (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the Universal reissues of CHARLEY VARRICK and MADIGAN are in anamorphic widescreen. VARRICK was released full-frame a couple of years ago and MADIGAN in a non-anamorphic widescreen/letterboxed transfer. I have a bad feeling that both are just being dumped back onto the marketplace, but can't find any news whether or not these have been fixed or improved-- or are straight reissues. It's really pathetic if nothing has been done to these titles-- I'd buy them in a heartbeat otherwise.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Charley Varrick is a great movie! What is it's proper aspect ratio? Was it shot full screen or widescreen?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by jdee28
Charley Varrick is a great movie! What is it's proper aspect ratio? Was it shot full screen or widescreen?

Well, this has been an interesting point of discussion here in the past. Here's what IMBD lists:

1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

If I recall, the Laser Disc version was 1.85:1 .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few days ago, I investigated those two releases and believe they're just re-releases of the same discs that came out several years ago that were letterbox, but not anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

A few days ago, I investigated those two releases and believe they're just re-releases of the same discs that came out several years ago that were letterbox, but not anamorphic.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy,

Were you referring to the two R1 releases?

It's been a while since I watched my R2 copy and I checked it out. It's not letterbox. It appears to be 16:9 anamorphic.

It does say "letterbox" on the R2 box but it's not, as far as I can see.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member

Crawdaddy

Thanks for the info, guys-- what a shame that these are STILL being treated like the proverbial redheaded stepchildren of the home video world.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
According to DVD Savant review Charley Varrick disc is full frame open matte transfer.

Crawdaddy

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I own the U.S. DVD and it's Full Frame. It was the ultimate "no frills" release in that it didn't even have a menu and the film just started once you put the DVD in the machine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh Charley Varrick disc is full frame open matte transfer.

Yes it is, but my point is that these new releases are just re-releases of those prior dvds.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you were saying that the transfers were letterboxed...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you were saying that the transfers were letterboxed...

I was saying the transfers are the same as before whether it is letterbox for Madigan or full frame for Varrick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks