What's new

Universal DVD players - Opinions Needed (1 Viewer)

Clyde Metz

Agent

sonny_b

Agent
The Yamaha 2300 is the only player without the chroma bug since the DVD player is essentially an Panny RP-82. Most players Including the Integra and Marantz are the based on the Pioneer 47A therefore share in the same faults. Audio wise, the Marantz is suppoed to sound the best with its upgraded audio stages. Bass Management wise, they are all pretty weak (i.e. different BM settings for DVD-A and SACD if at all) and the Outlaw ICBM will probably be the best solution for atleast another year or so...until the next gen DSD chip for SACD comes out which does BM in digital and not PCM.

If you are looking at the Integra, it is essentially an Onkyo SP800 with a few extra outputs...the guts are identical.

-sonny

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Marantz, so obviously I think it is good. Audio wise I think it is the best universal out so far. Video wise, I have not really compared the other two yet. The Chroma bug, which the I know the Marantz has, not sure about the other two, but it does not bother me on my 55" Mits. Again that is just my opinion. It is the most expensive too. You could get the Yamaha and a chroma bug free cheap panasonic or denon for the same price.

Other issues I have heard about is the Yamaha sounds good, and looks good, but some have been complaining about transport noise (I think it was transport noise) .. Search the forum here for "universal player" and you will see a couple of threads that have lots of answers.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well given the prices I think the Yamaha is the ebst way to go, it has the best video of the three, as far as transport noise, i am not sure what you are tlakign about Brian, I hav ebarely heard a peep from my Yamaha, its whisper quiet. unless by transport noise you mean noise introdusent into a signal that is digitally transported from the yamaha to a receiver thru optical or coaxial. if that is the case i have not noticed that either.

it should be noted that the yamaha does ahve BM for DVD-A and SACD.

here is a link to my review of it.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=126738

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
, i am not sure what you are tlakign about Brian
It was another thread in this forum that was talking about it. I think it was transport noise, but I am not sure what exactly it was, but there was something more than a couple of people had with the Yamaha. Not all though. The majority seemed to NOT have the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks