Universal DVD-Audio press release. (long)

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Kotches, Aug 4, 2003.

1. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Quoted below is the entire text of Universal Music's Press Release this morning about their intended DVD-Audio releases.

2. John Kotches

Interestingly enough, I do notice some title duplication between SACD and DVD-A releases...

Anyone else want to chime in on the duplication?

Regards,

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, I noticed that too. Now we can argue over which titles sound better on what format!

4. John Kotches

Shawn,

It really depends, since there is the theoretical opportunity to make changes between formats [​IMG]

For titles that were done in 24/96K, like SDs Gaucho the comparison would be pointless IMO, since the DSD stream was derived from the PCM.

If any of these were mixed via analog to multi-channel, there is a better chance of a head to head comparison.

Regards,

5. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

OK here's my titles:

ELTON JOHN- GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD
    STEELY DAN- GAUCHO
    MARVIN GAYE- COLLECTION
    DAVID SANBORN-TIMEAGAIN

if the price is right i'm gonna have some fun this September!!

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The Who's Tommy looks exciting, especially if they do a 5.1 mix. I already have Sea Change on SACD and will probably get the SACD of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, especially if it's a hybrid.

7. Michael St. Clair

Wow, this is incredible news. Huge news for DVD-A.

This will fuel the comparison debate, but regardless of how the recordings were produced, there will be no resolution as to which is more accurate. To do that, you have to do individual blind comparisons to the original master. Individuals can certainly judge preference, but that does not necessarily correlate to accuracy. Preference is more subjective, accuracy much less so (especially with controlled testing).

I'm just happy to see more releases. Very exciting!

8. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

9. Michael St. Clair

Maybe Townshend should have hired somebody who can still hear to do the remix.

10. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I'm very interested in seeing whether or not Universal will actually include supplemental materials (i.e., videos, etc.) on the DVD-A editions of titles that will see a dual release on SACD.

It seems strange that a company would one-up their own titles. Perhaps they view the different formats as entirely separate entities, but for those of us with universal players, the release of the same title on DVD-A with supplemental materials has a clear edge over an audio-only SACD edition.

Not surprisingly, the first batch of Universal's DVD-A titles don't have SACD counterparts, so it's impossible to tell what their policy will be. But with discs like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and others set for release on both SACD and DVD-A, the question will have to be answered soon. Looks like I'll be cancelling that pre-order of Gaucho on SACD and simply "wait and see" what the DVD-A edition will be like.

11. John Kotches

Alan,

?????

Two of the 3 Diana Krall titles, When I Look in Your Eyes and The Look of Love are also available on SACD.

Beck's Sea Change is on SACD and I believe the Bocelli's Verdi: Arias is also on SACD.

There are other "dual release" titles slated, that haven't hit market yet.

Regards,

12. John Kotches

Michael St. Clair said:

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't think I'd be interested in getting titles I already have on SACD, like the Krall. Sure, it would be nice to have both, but I'd rather spend that money on other high-res titles.

The only two on that list that are of interest to me personally are Tommy and Marvin Gaye, both music that I've only recently gotten into (I know, shame on me!).

The number and prestige of some of these titles are exciting. I just don't get why they picked so many titles that are also on SACD.

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    It seems like a blown opportunity to release the same titles on DVDA. Why not release more new titles on DVDA? There appears to be a lot of duplication...maybe Universal is setting up a horse race. But in that case, I would wonder if the comparison would be slanted in favor of the earlier SACDs?

Duplication is substantial here:

Sting
    Gergiev pieces
    Shania Twain
    Diana Krall
    Peter Frampton
    Steely Dan
    John Hiatt
    Beck
    Anne Sophie Mutter
    Cecilia Bartoli
    Ryan Adams

All of these have SACDs...curious...

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

With all that extra space on DVD-A maybe we can get some outtakes or such on The Who's Tommy that they couldn't fit when they did the last remaster. My nomination for the next 5.1 Who would be The Who Sell Out.

17. Michael St. Clair

Frankly, the engineers at Chesky and Telarc don't have more credibility to me than the man in the street, especially when 'testing' in the fashion you describe. I've never seen an engineer conduct a true, controlled, double blind A/B/X test. I've known engineers to be succeptible to placebo effect and bias. I've knew an engineer who used green markers on his CDs. No thanks.

Here is your valid test. You get a very large group of critical listeners. You randomly split it in half. The first half tests DSD to an original source, in A/B/X fashion. The second half tests PCM to an original source, in A/B/X fashion. Ideally, you repeat with more groups. You never compare PCM to DSD.

You publish the results.

Whichever format fooled the most people into thinking that it was the original master (or could not tell apart) is the one that is the most accurate/neutral/transparent.

When you have knowledge of such a test, please let us know. Constantly parroting these little anecdotal 'test' stories here gives zero credence or meaning as to which format is truly the most accurate, neutral, or transparent of the two formats.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. Michael St. Clair