Universal Catalog Titles - August 3rd - "Great Waldo Pepper" included

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, May 6, 2010.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Up for pre-orrder at DVD Empire. $14.95 retail price.

I am only interested in The Great Waldo pepper but hopefully all will be OAR...you never know with Universal.

The Allnighter
    Cross My Heart
    Going Berserk
    The Great Waldo Pepper
    The Greek Tycoon
    Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn
    'Night Mother'

I misspelled Waldo in the title header - can a Mod please fix? Thanks!

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Interesting that these titles will be pressed DVDs rather than placed in the Universal Vault DVD-R series, where, it would seem, titles like these would go in this day and age. I can still picture the old VHS boxes for just about all of these.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

After years of waiting and watching for The Great Waldo Pepper, I just bought the Australian edition because it's letterboxed in the proper aspect ratio -- letterboxed, as in non-anamorphic. The image quality is slightly better than a vhs. This is a director''s film, and to watch it letterboxed is to learn George Roy Hill's set-ups and staging. So I'm satisfied with that. But what bothers me is the 4% PAL speed-up. On some films it isn't noticeable, but it wreaks havoc with the subtle timing of The Great Waldo Pepper. Let's hope Universal will do a proper job with the domestic edition.

I would be interested in Metalstorm: the Destruction of Jared Sin if it were in a polarized 3-D process. It is actually a well-made stereoscopic film, and one of the best uses of the twin-lens / single-camera / over-under system. The film makers and stereoscopic consultant worked hard to get the 3-D right. Without 3-D, it's just another poverty-row indy about the apocalypse with obnoxious music.

4. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

The Allnighter is a terrible, terrible movie.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've got the old snapper of The Great Waldo Pepper. There aren't any known issues with that are there? Has it just been OOP?

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Only two titles interest me: THE GREEK TYCOON and NIGHT MOTHER. Despite Universal's botch on THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW on the Stanwyck set, I'll assume these two titles will be in their wide screen ratio.

7. PODER

PODER Second Unit

PETER JABLONSKI
    I just paid a visit to DVDEmpire, hoping to order THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER, THE GREEK
    TYCOON and 'NIGHT MOTHER'. I couldn't find a listing for 'NIGHT MOTHER'. Also, WALDO
    PEPPER and GREEK TYCOON are both listed as "full screen". I'd like to pick these up while
    they're on sale, but don't dare now. Does anyone have more info?

8. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

The only issue with that DVD is it is fullscreen, and not OAR. The film was shot 2:35.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Walter. I picked it up at a used shop many years ago.

It was a knee-jerk purchase because it was a DVD I had never even known existed before so I figured it might've been hard to come by.

I never even realized it was MAR. My bad.

10. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

This is really out of nowhere. I thought studios were pretty much stopping catalog titles on DVD. If Waldo Pepper is Anamorphic I'll get it. There are quite a few Uni titles I would like to own still, hopefully they will release The Seduction of Joe Tynan, The Big Fix, The Brinks Job, September 30, 1955. All of which have played on Cinemax in Hi Def over the past year or so. Doubful they will ever see Blu ray, but if they have remastered transfers for Hi Def an upconverted DVD would be just fine.

11. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    If Universal is in the mood to release catalog titles, they can go ahead and re-release the ones they botched or neglected the first time:

The Game

Iceman

Death Becomes Her

Halloween II and III

12. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Does anyone know if Waldo Pepper is OAR?

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Yes, the Universal disc is 2.35:1 and anamorphic.

Don't hesitate.

Buy It Now:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Waldo-Pepper-Robert-Redford/dp/B003L16F7C/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_a

14. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak

Great news

Now if I can get confirmation on if 'Night, Mother and The Greek Tycoon is widescreen or, in fact, pan & scan, it would be most helpful.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

'Night Mother (1.85:1) and Metalstorm: Destruction of Jared-Syn (2.35:1) are both looking to be cropped for some odd reason.

I haven't heard of any issues with The Greek Tycoon.

I haven't seen these titles myself, but am only repeating what I've read elsewhere.

16. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

Both are pan & scan.

17. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Actually, NIGHT MOTHER is full frame rather than P&S but either way, it's not in the original 1.85 aspect ratio. Unfortunately, THE GREEK TYCOON is P&S. It's original aspect ration should be 2.35 wide screen.

18. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    As a big fan of 80's comedies I picked up the Allnighter (and plan on buying Cross My Heart) and was pleasantly surprised with the film even though it's not really a comedy. I had a big crush on Susanna Hoffs back in the day so that was a big factor in the purchase as well. Catalog releases are becoming a rare phenomenon these days so it was nice of Universal to provide these even though the disc doesn't even have a menu.