What's new

Universal Blu Ray Catalog Releases - Quality Control Issues (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
AaronMK said:
One screen shot comparison I would love to see is a frame as acquired by the scanner, and the frame on the blu-ray of a highly respected release. (ie Braveheart, Gladiator's second release, most Sony catalog titles, etc.) It seems naive to think that film, the result of a photo chemical process, could just simply be scanned into an array of uniformly spaced pixels, with the raw color data output from the sensor ready to be fed into an encoder frame-by-frame to create a digital video stream faithful to the projected look of that film. Without going into technical details, many of which I don't completely understand anyway, the nature of reconstructing an image from incomplete data the sensors actually detect makes that seem too good to be true. Even with "purist" goals in mind, the key seems to be judicious "digital work", not an absence of "digital work".
An elegantly stated point that I was trying to make in my long winded statement! Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Adam Gregorich said:
  When watching the Blu-ray (120+ screen) I wasn't able to see it unless I paused the film at a high contrast scene and literally put my nose up to the screen, even then it was iffy.  Looking at the zoomed screen shots I was able to see what appeared to be a very mild case, but not knowing all the gory details about lenses, film stock, how it was filmed, etc I don't know if it is natural or artificial.  Regardless it is very minor in my opinion.  If you opt to pick this up I would be interested to see what you think after watching it Doug.  
As I stated, my setup is only 47 inches, but its not hard to get close and see whats going on. Finances right now are pretty tight, so I won't be buying this soon, but I might be able to borrow it. Doug

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Kevin Collins

Foxy, what PJ and screen are you using in your review?

A Panasonic AE4000 and a manual Beamax 106 inch screen with 1.1 gain. ( forgot to add that i only use 104 inches of the screen, room size vs projector throw issues )

I'm aware monitors/projectors can introduce some issues if not setup carefully, thats why my projector is calibrated, as indeed is my audio system, speakers and my subwoofer

( via a Velodyne SMS-1 )

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, I tried to take the Loch Ness Monster on directly by challenging its monsterness. I walked to the water's edge of the Loch (at the base of Urquhart Castle) and announced to the monster that if there really was a Loch Ness Monster in there, it would come out and get me at that moment. I gave the monster repeated opportunities to come out and do its thing, but all we saw was the usual tide lapping at the shore. No tentacles, no teeth, no monster. You're absolutely right that I didn't try to give it any money, and I didn't get any fuzzy shots of things. But I did have a short video made of myself repeatedly taunting the Monster with no response. Now, if I was that monster, I would have come out...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Kevin EK

Malcolm, I tried to take the Loch Ness Monster on directly by challenging its monsterness. I walked to the water's edge of the Loch (at the base of Urquhart Castle) and announced to the monster that if there really was a Loch Ness Monster in there, it would come out and get me at that moment. I gave the monster repeated opportunities to come out and do its thing, but all we saw was the usual tide lapping at the shore. No tentacles, no teeth, no monster. You're absolutely right that I didn't try to give it any money, and I didn't get any fuzzy shots of things. But I did have a short video made of myself repeatedly taunting the Monster with no response. Now, if I was that monster, I would have come out...

Its shy.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder ). That is why I originally said: "I think we will have to agree to disagree how much impact the problems have when watching it."

Regardless of what you think of JP, would one of you please just get the damn monster to show for KevinEK next time he is in Scottland? I'm sick if hearing his "I'm too tough for Nessie to consider showing herself to me, I must have scared her really bad...." story.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Adam, I read that.

And all I can say is that the Loch Ness Monster had a choice to make on that June day in 2009, and the Monster chose to either be a chicken or to pretend to not exist! I have the proof on video for one and all to see. And now you've heard the story for the 1000th time...

And now back to the discussion about Universal Blu-rays and Quality Control....

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

This is a perfect example of where I said someone from PR might "dodge and weave" as they did do what they said, they just didn't do it on all the shots fans wanted.

Yah but really they should have done all the shots.

I'm sending Nessie to the ranch if the next release still doesn't fix 'em all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks