What's new

Universal Backlot Series of Claudette Colbert titles for November (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
ClassicFlix is reporting a 6 film set of Claudette Colbert movies plus the Colbert featurette that was included on the recent Cleopatra special. They include Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, Three Cornered Moon, Maid of Salem and the Egg and I already released in Ma and Pa Kettle set. I hope the other two might be Arise My Love and The Gilded Lily.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Happy to have more Colbert. For years I was petioning for a Colbert set (if only just to get Cleopatra which hadn't been released to that point).
I'm assuming this is indeed a set akin to the Pre-Code set and not six individual releases? Hopefully we'll still get a few more individual titles in the Backlot series too (and please let one be Hold Back The Dawn)!.

Charles H

Screenwriter
PRIVATE WORLDS and THUNDER ON THE HILL? I would hope that Warner Archive would bring out TOVARICH and IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Great news!!! This collection is log overdue! Loved the titles mentioned so far.

I hope that, along the remaining, Universal includes the Gilded Lily. As for the 6th tilte, I would be happy to see anyy of the following"Arise my love, Zaza, Private Worlds or No Time for Love.

Now let's hope for a Mitchell Leisen box set (Remember the Night, Hold Back the Dawn, Lady in the Dark, Frenchman's Creek, Kitty, To Each his Own would be the perfect selection, as all of them deserves a dvd release).

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I'm really glad Universal is really following through and continuing with this Backlot series (note 4 titles earlier this month), instead of the usual one-off series with an early demise. And they're actually going ahead with releasing all of these in this economy -- kudos to Universal, we should all support these releases if we can.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Well,

Reading the recent addition titles for rent in the classicflix page, I found out that the 2 remaining titles for the Colbert Collection are "I met him in Paris" and "No Time for Love". I hope they can release Gilded Lily later.

Again, I'm very glad with the annoucement.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Great news! Nice to see Universal continue with their backlot series! Hope they can come out with a Barbara Stanwyck set too at some point, with stuff like Remember the Night and Internes Can't Take Money.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This is indeed awesome news; Claudette's films of that period were extremely well-made and all had very good screenplays. In 1939, she was the highest paid woman in America, I believe.

It has been years since I have seen some of these films (New York's PBS station, Channel 13 aired some of them years ago) and I look forward to buying and watching these films again.
Edited by Richard M S - 7/28/2009 at 09:36 pm GMT

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
This is a wonderful surprise. Thanks for sharing the news.
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Hopefully we'll still get a few more individual titles in the Backlot series too (and please let one be Hold Back The Dawn)!.
I second that. More specifically, I would like to see a Paulette Goddard set.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I look foward to this set. Claudette Colbert has always been one of my favorite actresses . I wish Arise My Love had made the cut.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It seems like vintage and catalog films are being phased out so I am very glad to see this is coming.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Excellent! I look forward to purchasing this set as there is little else coming out this fall. (So Far)

Would love to see a Backlot Noir Set.
I'm consistently baffled by this. Every other studio has been putting out Noir titles and boxsets as much as possible, while Universal sits on a virtual goldmine of Noir titles and seems hesitant to release a single one. I don't recall any Noir titles being released by Universal since the 2-disc "Double Indemnity" several years ago. What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks