What's new

Unhappy Onkyo TX-SR805 owner (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
It was my first Onkyo purchase, and perhaps my last. I realized today that my left front channel is simply not working. I connected the left front speaker to the center channel with the same wire to confirm the wire was okay, and the speaker was okay. It's producing absolutely no sound. out of the left front center. Just over 4 years old, it should last longer than that. How much does something like this cost to fix? Should I just replace? Is it possible it's something simple? I have taken very good care of this receiver, keeping the cabinet open, and I affixed a home theater cooling fan to the top that pulls the hot air out of it at all times when it's operating.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Sometimes things break, and unfortunatly something like your TX-SR805 is not worth fixing. Perhaps look for a small 2 channel amp and use the preamp outs for the front L & R speakers. A small Parasound, or Carver amp would work nicely and if you listen to stereo, you will likely notice a nice improvement in sound quality.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Another idea, call Onkyo. Perhaps they will offer something. My parents had a sony 40" LCD TV that failed after ten years. A Sony tech came by and determined is was a major repair and the TV was not worth fixing. Sony offered them a 25% rebate if they purchased a new Sony TV

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It probably won't help any but try doing a factory reset.
The Onkyo 805 was a heck of a receiver in it's day. A real over-achiever. But it, as well as other Onkyo products, did run extremely hot for electronic components. A fan should have helped but over time heat will damage electronics. The 805 has held it's value fairly well for a receiver but it's probably not worth repairing out of warranty. Jon's idea of a two channel amp is a good one (I wish I had thought of it :rolleyes: ) but eventually something else will happen. Maybe look for a good multi-cha amp...just in case. HDMI i'n's and Out's are also prone to failiar on newer receivers. My Pioneer Elite 23-vxs has had it's hdmi inputs fail a couple of time recently. A Reset fixed it both times. But some day...

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Mr645 said:
Another idea, call Onkyo. Perhaps they will offer something. My parents had a sony 40" LCD TV that failed after ten years. A Sony tech came by and determined is was a major repair and the TV was not worth fixing. Sony offered them a 25% rebate if they purchased a new Sony TV
I'll give Onkyo a call Monday, but they have a reputation of abysmal customer service, so I don't expect much. Thanks for the suggestion.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
gene c said:
It probably won't help any but try doing a factory reset.
The Onkyo 805 was a heck of a receiver in it's day. A real over-achiever. But it, as well as other Onkyo products, did run extremely hot for electronic components. A fan should have helped but over time heat will damage electronics. The 805 has held it's value fairly well for a receiver but it's probably not worth repairing out of warranty. Jon's idea of a two channel amp is a good one (I wish I had thought of it :rolleyes: ) but eventually something else will happen. Maybe look for a good multi-cha amp...just in case. HDMI i'n's and Out's are also prone to failiar on newer receivers. My Pioneer Elite 23-vxs has had it's hdmi inputs fail a couple of time recently. A Reset fixed it both times. But some day...
The factory reset was a fantastic idea, but unfortunately it didn't work. Bummer. I think this time, instead of dumping so much into one, I will purchase a refurb denon from accessories4less and get the 5 year warranty added on for $50 bucks for peace of mind. They have some great deals on some pretty nice receivers for $300 to $400. I know the Onkyo's run pretty warm, which is why I got the fans right after I purchased it. They run constantly. And I've never run the video processing, which I know also runs warm, just video pass through. And worst of all, I was running just efficient Paradigm bookshelf speakers, so I never ever worked the thing much at all. What I don't know, is what I will do with the stupid Onkyo. It's got to be worth something to somebody. . And I'm also afraid I'm not going tolike the replacement. 'This Onkyo has an outstanding amp section.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I'd feel at the back of the receiver frequently, and it never felt more than warm. Maybe if I give Onkyo enough grief, they will do something.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had an Integra 8.9 a while back (same as the Onkyo 876) and It got so warm in Standy mode I felt the need to turn off the power at the surge protector just to be safe. And the precessing sections emit as much heat as the amp section, or so I've read. Apparently the newer Onkyo's run a bit cooler but there have been a few complaints of hdmi board failers lately. Pioneers run super cool but they don't have the amp sections the Onkyo's have. Denon and Marantz get warm but not like the older Onkyo's. H/K's have the best amps but get a little warm too. About like D/M. Not sure about Yamaha. Still haven't had one of those yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks