What's new

Unexpensive DVD player with DCDi faroudja chip (1 Viewer)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
can u guys tell me of some inexpensive players that have DCDi chip and can you tell me if the chip will be any use in my non HDTV SONY kv27fs100

greg_t

Screenwriter
Since your Sony is not a digital set, I am sure that it will not accept a progressive scan signal. All the farjouda chip in a dvd player does is convert interlaced signals to progressive. So if your tv cannot accept a progressive scan signal, the Farjouda will be of no use.

Lee M T

Second Unit
I have a the exact same TV you do...I just picked up the Sony 325 DVD player today. It does interlaced only, but so far seems to be a vary good player. It works very well with anamorphic-conversion. Looks great with our TV's 16:9 enhanced mode. It only has a coaxial ditigal out though, no optical. Luckily I planned on coax to begin with. Everything else is a snap though.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
so all the new dvd technology like prog scan and DCDi is useless for a non digital tv?? thanks for the help guys.

Lee M T

Second Unit
You're correct kuttaS.

Now-a-days it is hard to find even a budget level deck that doesn't include prog scan, which isn't a bad thing really. You'll always have prog scan ready if you ever upgrade. At the same time though, that could make for a problem. The Panisonic S35 player has pretty remarkable picture quality for a budget prog scan player, but for a regular TV like ours, it really isn't all that hot. So I would stay away from that. Not sure about some of the other prog players out there.

I just stuck with the Sony DVP-NS325 for $89 at Best Buy. It doesn't have progressive scan, so I don't have to worry about none of that other stuff. It just plays for regular TV's and that's it.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
so do all the dvd players without progressive scan or dcdi chip have the same video quality?

JackS

Supporting Actor
The two DVD players both non-progressive and of an older vintage that I have experience with are a Panasonic and a Sony. The Panasonic seems to be a little less soft than the Sony but the Sony seems to be slightly more colorful. I still have the Sony and have since upgraded the Panasonic to a Panasonic progressive. Both players serve the purpose and I would guess that the true value of each player would rest with the opinion of each individual viewer. I've been happy with both of these brands and I'm pretty sure my next upgrade will be one or the other. Your pick.

Michael_V

Second Unit
so do all the dvd players without progressive scan or dcdi chip have the same video quality?
Absolutely not. Probably the one issue that will most affect the quality of your image (even in interlaced mode) is quality of the MPEG decoder used in your player and whether or not it exhibits the chroma upsampling error. Go here for an explanation of this error: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...g-4-2001.html. Go here for a list of players that do and do not have this error: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...001-list.html. In general, Panasonic players have the best MPEG decoders and they (or players using their decoders) give the best picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks