What's new

Underworld - Worth a Double Dip? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have the original Disk and I kinda liked the movie but it did seem like alot was left on the cutting room floor. Now we have a 2disk Unrated version coming. I don't care much about the Extra disk but I wonder how much the extra 13 minutes adds to the film?

Will K

Screenwriter
Back in the day, "unrated" usually meant extra violence or nudity and sex. Now it's mostly for extra sales if the director changes a line of dialogue or add a few scenes(i.e, Pitch Black). The review at DVD Talk mentions there is no extra violence or gore. The movie was okay, but not enough for a second purchase.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
IMHO, action fodder like Pitch Black and Underworld don't really need extended cuts or lavish extras.

We're not talking about JFK or The Right Stuff here.

On the other hand, I *do* feel ripped off by the 100min Daredevil, only to find that they have a +2hr version ready to go.

Why weren't these un-used scenes on the original 2nd disc?

Greed.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Then there'd be a lot less incentive for you as the consumer to puchase it again later, of course.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

That reviewer didn't sound like he had enough interest in the film to even notice what was newly edited and what was not. Still waiting for a fan of the film to say.

I'm definately getting it though. It will be my third version (original widescreen, original fullscreen - for those rare times when I want to see detail - and now this recut one)!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Nah, my ears are only Dolby 5.1.

I can't understand the flak this film takes, but then again I don't understand why people thought Spider Man was a good movie either, so go figure.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to checking this out.
I liked the movie, although it could have used more depth. I'm hoping for a little of that depth in the extended cut.

Lev-S

Second Unit
I was dissappointed in the theater when I saw it, and slightly less dissappointed when I bought it previously viewed at Blockbuster. No DD for me. Now Black Hawk Down on the other hand, that might call for the triple dip...:)

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a bad flick... Its long-winded exposition tends to lose people. There's some pretty bad acting in it too (showing that the director doesn't know acting). This movie is for genre fans. Until Hollywood makes a better werewolf movie, I'll keep this one.

It's not worth double-dipping if you have the first release.

The first release seems to have a long layer change pause. Is anyone annoyed by the layer change?

BrianAe

Second Unit
Any word on the sound in the new release? The original one was agressive but not terribly well done.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Daredevil:

I have never, nor will I ever, buy the same movie twice. The reason the studios keep doing this is because people keep buying them. The only way to stop this nonsense is to not buy more than one version. I have Daredevil, the original DVD release. As much as I'd love to see the new version, I am NOT paying for it again. There's other movies I have, like "The Bourne Identity" that's coming out in another edition. Studios can, as a friend of mine used to say, "go take a funny walk":)

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
For those of you who're opposed to studios getting more of your money via double-dipping, why not just wait to find the newer release used?

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Funny you mention that, since I buy DVDs & Games used, a clerk pointed out that the studios gain no income from me whatsoever.

Not sure how to feel about that, guess I'm flying under the radar.

Still moneys money...and I've never DD for DCs or more extras (except LotR series).

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

That's the exact reason I haven't bought any CDs besides used ones for the last four years.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I wonder if Columbia-Tristar will offer some kind of rebate to people who already have the first disc like was done with the Windtalkers 3 disc set when it came out. I got $10.00 back with the proof of purchase from the original. If the studios want us to double dip, they need to throw us some incentives to buy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks