What's new

Uncharted series (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think there are certain times when you can play online without a PS+ subscription, but they're limited events. I haven't seen if the Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta is one of them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just read that there is, in fact, a day 1 patch for The Nathan Drake Collection. However, it is described as tweaks and stability updates, nothing substantial.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Good to hear

Getting a bit ahead of things here, but I hope that BluePoint Games has something neat in the works for next year. With all the impressions I've seen of this and the job they did with the Team ico Collection a few years back, I'd love to see them do more remasterings.

I can't imagine a Mass Effect Trilogy or a Bioshock Trilogy are too far off, to name two obvious possibilities. Maybe they'll get the job...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bioware or EA (not sure who has the rights, didn't they co-publish or something?) has stated multiple times that a Mass Effect trilogy isn't happening, but who knows for certain.

A Bioshock collection is supposedly being made right now. I think Amazon or some other site accidentally leaked it last week.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Not sure if this is after the small day 1 patch that tweaks a few things, but a full disc install runs at 44.46 gigs on the PS4's hard drive. Well under the 50 gig limit of the disc.

So unless some installed content remains compressed on your HDD after installation and is actually uncompressed on the fly like the FMV cutscenes (Not an expert, but I rather doubt it), this single disc release wasn't even made possible by advanced compression methods. All the more impressive that it still fits.

Another potential area that quite possibly saved significant room that I don't think we ever took into account, was how large swathes of content would be replicated in different places in many PS3 releases designed to run from disc to help combat load times.

Since these originally used every trick in the book and all were designed to be ran directly from the disc, that probably saved lots of room since it's obviously not something that they had to repeat here with the PS4's mandatory installs.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I saw a pretty cool TV ad for this last night. I think it was during MNF, but I'm not sure since I was flipping around.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Really looking forward to this. Never played the first Uncharted and thought the second one was one of the best games ever on any system. Third one was weakest by far but still fun. Can't wait to play in 60 fps and 1080P

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone gotten this yet or tried the demo?

I reread this thread just now and wanted to correct an earlier post. I said that the same developer behind this collection was the one that did The Last of Us: Remastered. While it went uncorrected, that earlier release was of course done in-house at Naughty Dog, It wasn't outsourced to BluePoint Games.

And adding to my post from a few days ago that was looking forward to the next project from BluePoint, I wanted to echo a comment that I saw much earlier in this thread about how it would be great to see the Team Ico Collection revisited on the PS4.

As nice of a job as BluePoint did on that earlier remastering, 1080p textures and 60fps would be neat to see for both of these modern classics (Per Eurogamer, Ico is already native 1080p but capped at 30fps on the PS3 while SotC is sub-1080p and upscaled).

I'd happily spend $20 for such a release and add a 3rd version of each game to my collection. :)

LeoA said:
They confirmed 1 disc during a recent streaming event.

Looks like squeezing it all in on a single disc comes at a bit of a cost in certain circumstances. From Eurogamer...

"With the PS4 collection, Bluepoint was tasked with cramming three games' worth of pre-rendered cutscenes onto a single 50GB disc. Keeping in mind that cut-scenes are upgraded to a full 1080p60, the storage requirements are significant. The selected method of compression looks great initially with fewer visible artefacts in comparison to the original game but as darker sequences begin to appear, unwanted macroblocking rears its head. Video quality is a definite step down from The Last of Us Remastered but still an improvement over the original game. It's not a deal breaker when considering the limitations at hand, but it is still a touch disappointing."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-uncharted-drakes-fortune-ps4-nathan-drake-collection-face-off

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My coworker tried the demo. He said he's thinking about buying this even though he got 100% of the trophies on all three games already, so there's that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Got off work a bit early today, so I swung by and picked up the remastered PS4 collection on my way home. Been playing Drake's Fortune a bit (up to
the Nazi submarine in the jungle
), and the game looks amazing so far; even better than I remember it looking on the PS3 seven years ago.

Dat 60 frames per second is just buttery-smooth, and Bluepoint really improved everything, from the lighting to much more detailed assets than were ever possible on the PS3, given that console's Cell processor limitations (and its partitioned graphical memory-pool).

Can't wait to get to the remastered Uncharted 2; this trilogy should keep me going until Fallout 4 finally gets here in November.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I picked it up too. Looks really good. Never played the first one so I'm enjoying the origins of the series.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just finished Drake's Fortune this morning on Hard difficulty, discovered all 60 treasures plus the Strange Relic, popped all the individual trophies for each...except "The Master Thief Collection" gold trophy for some reason didn't pop.

Found on Reddit that this is an apparent bugged glitch, and that I'm evidently going to have to trawl back through the last several chapters and reacquire those treasures again in order to overcome the glitch.

GODDAMMIT...grumblegrumble.... :angry:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Here's a good article about the development of this collection

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-making-of-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection

Key things that relate to past discussions around here are that they don't all share the same engine, Naughty Dog's work on The Last of Us Remastered didn't yield a ready-made engine for porting Uncharted 3 since TLoU utilized an evolved version of the less advanced Uncharted 2 engine, and some discussion on the question on how they made it fit into the constraints of a 50 GB disc.

"Better compression for both audio and video. Removing video content: S3D movies for U3, bonus content for all games, credits movies (we rendered the credits at runtime to save disk space). Removing multiplayer assets helped as well. Lastly, a lot of streaming games improve load time by reducing seek-time overhead and by duplicating assets to place data physically close on the Blu-ray. With all data being installed onto the hard drive (with much faster seek times), we're able to get away with just storing a single copy of each texture and still have everything load in time (or even faster than the PS3)."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is a bug in the PS4 version of U2 that prevents a person from aiming the grenades they are lobbing in one of the stages. All a person can do is blind lob and hope it hits the target. The bug is probably a holdover from the PS3 version that they failed to catch.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Uncharted 4 reviews are out today. Currently running a 94 on Metacritic with 60+ reviews.

I was going to put off a purchase for a little bit and try to get it cheaper, but I may cave.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yup, only complaint I've seen is of the "more of the same" variety, but in the case of Uncharted 4, it's not really a dis since the "more of the same" is so well done.

I'll still wait for it to be free on the PS+. I'm sure it will appear one day, the other three did. Or at least the last two, the first game came with my PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks