What's new

"Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: The Motion Picture" (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

This is one of those projects that you're never really sure will ever happen, but it took a decent step forward today. David O. Russell (Three Kings, the upcoming The Fighter) has been hired as writer/director of the project, based on the current Sony video game series. If you've never played them, you've unfortunately missed out on two of the best blockbusters to come out in years.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025452.html?categoryid=4076&cs=1

I wouldn't normally make a thread until there was an actual movie movie, but there's a very important matter at hand; the casting of Nathan Drake.

The character is clearly based on Nathan Fillion. They look the same, they sound the same, and Drake is written in a very Whedonesque tone. Everyone always suggests Fillion. Personally I think it's too on the nose, and very limiting from a creative standpoint.

Anyhow, Drake is in his mid 20's. Fillion is 40 and this is a franchise project, Fillion could be 50 by a 3rd film. He'll never be cast.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Boreanz is way too old for the part. Mid-20s. Though both he and Fillion would be ideal.. a few years ago.

This is going to go to a teen-heart-throb type.. I'm sure if they are serious the casting call has already went out to Taylor Lautner

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Drake's physical appearance is actually based on Johnny Knoxville. This is according to the developers themselves. The Wiki article on the character mentions a bunch of other influences, including Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, and Cary Grant, but no mention of Nathan Fillion. (Which is not to say that I don't think Fillion would be a good choice.)

The actor who portrays Drake in the game (voice and mo-cap), Nolan North, might also work (and seems an obvious choice):

And, mid-20s? I don't think so. He's way too experienced. More like mid-30s. A 40-year-old actor like Fillion or North would be fine. Casting a teenager would be a huge mistake.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, I don't buy the mid 20's thing either. Drake's a not a kid, he's man (very subjective as far as what age that is, yes I know).

To me, he definitely seems more early to mid 30's.

0000008964_20060920155811.jpg

tg07.jpg

Emily Rose should definitely be cast as as Elena Fisher. Her voice acting for the games was great, and she looks just like the character.

unchartedelena.jpg

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
He's 25 in the first game, his info is written on his passport or something. But Fillion's age problem has more to do with his carrying a franchise forward into the future. There's no way they'll get a teenager for the part, but I doubt they'll get anyone much older than 30 either.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The passport was obviously a forgery.

If we don't worry too much about Drake's exact appearance, someone like Chris Pine or Chris Evans (both are around 30) would be great for the part. A little hair dye, a little makeup. . .

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Chris Pine is starring in future Jack Ryan movies? Which books are being made? It can't be worse than the Sum of all Fears.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
And if Lucas ever decides to make the three Star Wars sequels he was originally considering, Pine can play Han Solo too! I think he'd be fine as a wiseass-but-not-quite-asshole.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan

Yeah, I don't buy the mid 20's thing either. Drake's a not a kid, he's man (very subjective as far as what age that is, yes I know).

David tore up his knee in the last season of Angel during a stunt, and I doubt he's down for a lot of stuntwork.

And yes, while I think either he or Fillion would be perfect, a studio head who wants the 18-25 demo who is the likely target of a video-game genre film will not be interested in either.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I realize that it will probably be difficult for many to not see the movie as "video-game genre" since it is, after all, based on a video game. But I'm hoping that in making the movie the producers will look at the project more from an "adventure movie genre" perspective.

The game basically plays as a modern day Indiana Jones style adventure movie (a damn good one, too). hope they focus more on that concept when considering casting, etc... They'd be smart to not play up that it's "based on the hit video game" in advertising to the general public. They should focus on marketing a kick-ass adventure movie.

But yes, I'd bet they'd still be looking "young-ish" when casting for a variety of reasons. I just hope it's someone who can also convey Drake's experience as well (he's well educated at least in history, has had many adventures and heists, has spent time in prison, and has to have had at least some military training as well). The dude's been around the block a few times.

... a studio head who wants the 18-25 demo who is the likely target of a video-game genre film will not be interested in either.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^Mark Wahlberg has officially said "it's possible" and "we'll see what happens."

Hopefully what 'happens' is that he stays far far away, there's no way Wahlberg could ever bring anything close to the character from the game to life. If Drake is just going to end up an angry thug, I'll stay home.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wy don't they give the actors that did the voices a crack at it? They both did good jobs in the games. I'd be more likely to go and see this film if the original actors from the game were in it. Do the producers of this film really think that Mark Wahlberg is somehow going to be a big drawing card? Fuck. This is why Hollywood movies generally suck. They keep signing the same old burnt out "talent", expecting that a so-called "name" actor is going to pull in the audience. They should give some new blood a chance already. They haven't even written the script, but the bits I have read about + Mark Wahlberg + Joe Pesci + Robert DeNiro = avoid at all costs.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Wy don't they give the actors that did the voices a crack at it? They both did good jobs in the games. I'd be more likely to go and see this film if the original actors from the game were in it. Do the producers of this film really think that Mark Wahlberg is somehow going to be a big drawing card? Fuck. This is why Hollywood movies generally suck. They keep signing the same old burnt out "talent", expecting that a so-called "name" actor is going to pull in the audience. They should give some new blood a chance already. They haven't even written the script, but the bits I have read about + Mark Wahlberg + Joe Pesci + Robert DeNiro = avoid at all costs.

I'm sorry, but since when are these guys considered bad actors? Sure, they've made some awful choices, but to not see a movie because of them seems ridiculous. It also seems to me that some are ready to hate the entire project, even when there's hardly anything known about the movie.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brian Borst
I'm sorry, but since when are these guys considered bad actors? Sure, they've made some awful choices, but to not see a movie because of them seems ridiculous. It also seems to me that some are ready to hate the entire project, even when there's hardly anything known about the movie.

I'm no fan of typecasting, nor do I think adaptions need or should be carbon copies of their source material. That doesn't mean you should ignore the source material, nor that any Actor can play any role.

Wahlberg can't play this role. He isn't capable of doing it, it's just not in him. Even if we allow for some change and originality for the character, he still needs to be "Nathan Drake," a fun, likable, intelligent, and somewhat witty adventurist. I don't think even one of those adjectives would fit a single of Wahlberg's roles to date. He generally plays naive, uneducated, or 'average' for a reason.

I don't think anyone said DeNiro and Pesci were poor actors. I think its just dreaming to have them in the movie in the first place, but if they are cast, that by itself is nothing to be upset about. That they said clearly they would be portraying Drake's Father and Uncle, is alarming. It points further to a drastic departure in character for Drake, and between the three of them a family of treasure hunting gangsters is starting to emerge.

All of that could possibly come together in an excellent adventure film, it just won't be Uncharted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks