What's new

(un)Official Meeting Place for Cincinnati HTF Members (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
This really has turned out to be a crappy day as far as the weather goes.
On the bright side, I was able to snag four Opening Day tickets this morning! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Unfortunately, I don't...all four were accounted for before I even purchased them.
There were four of us at work yesterday working six computers and two phone lines, trying to get through. My Mac was the only one to get completely through the signup process. All of the other terminals kept stalling at the point you got to specify how many tickets you wanted. No wonder it took a full hour for the game to sell out!
I was hoping to get a second set of four and unload them on eBay, but I never got through again. I've already seen a couple of auctions go up to $1000 for a pair. It's madness. I've never made it to Opening Day since I moved here, though, and I was determined to make it this year.
Well...not $500-per-seat determined, so I'm glad it didn't come to that. :D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Hello All,

I have recently changed from dial-up to Road Runner as my ISP. I have changed my e-mail address in my HTF profile.

Would everyone please send me an e-mail to capture this change, and allow me to reestablish you in my new address book.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SATURDAY!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow, the meet is this sat.? That wasen't too bad of a wait. Your just now getting cable modem? Jeez, welcome to the "real" internet. I gotta have road runner, man it's awesome. I guess now you'll be making a website, huh alan?
Congrats on the new speed dude.:emoji_thumbsup:

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Let's get this Meet started around 5:00 on Saturday!!

Please bring any DVD's or CD's you'd like to share with the group. I'll have plenty of pop and beer on hand, and something to munch on.

Mike is bringing up his Paradigm Studio 40's so that we can compare to my Monitor 7's. I'm real interested in that!!

*I think we should start out with an open discussion about HT and a look at my current, (ever evolving), system and how it is set-up!
*I will share my ISF calibration experience with pictures and printed results...(Thanks Gregg Loewen)
*Demo some of our favorite DVD scenes
*Check out some HD material via my Time Warner HD cable
*Demo my sound system with an A/B Studio/Monitor switch
*Watch a movie

**We will do what anyone else wants to get out of this Meet, (suggestions are welcome)!!

***I have a special surprise for anyone interested. I have free passes to see Eric Jerardi at a local venue. He is an excellent blues guitarist from Dayton. BTW, this nightclub is really nice and has a fabulous stage and sound system!! The first band starts around 9:00, with Eric on at about 11:00. This is just an offer, hell, we may still be cranking it at the house!!

SEE YOU SATURDAY AT 5:00!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wish my svs could get here in time for the meet, would love to see how it sounds with the rest of your gear.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Okay , I stopped being cheap and ordered the svs brand new. The guy at svs said it will be hear in time for the meet.
You have no idea how excited I am :b :D :b If any of you guys have wondered how the svs subs sound like I have, we all will be in for a treat this week end :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Alan, I was just thinking...do you have a SACD player in your setup? If not, I'd be willing to bring my Sony CE775 and the few discs I have to the meet tomorrow.

This, of course, presumes that you have a set of 6-channel inputs to use/spare. My cables aren't the best (Monster Audio 2 for the L/R mains, Audio 1 for the center/surrounds/sub), so if you have better cabling at your disposal, let me know.

I'll see everyone tomorrow!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Yes, my Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai is a DVD/SACD/DVD-A player, but alas, my old Elite VSX-09TX receiver doesn't have the inputs to take advantage of the newer formats.

I will be upgrading to a VSX-49TXi later this year!! I am anxious to hear the new audio formats!!

Thanks anyway, David!! See you this evening!!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'd like to thank Alan for being an extremely gracious host with an extremely nice ISF calibrated television, and to thank Mike and LaMarcus for bringing the Studio 40's and SVS, respectively. The television and subwoofers, especially, were eye-openers for all of us, and make me wish I had more disposable income. And a house. :D
I mentioned to Alan that we should try to organize another meet within the next month or two, so that our Miami (is in Ohio...dammit) members will have a chance to attend before summer vacation begins. I hope everyone can make the next one!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well I will be there, because hopefully it will be at my house :D ;) Anyway, it was a nice time, a very different experience to be able to converse with people that have the same interest as this.
Allan was a very gracious host, David, Mike, and Kevin, were a bunch of jackasses..I mean great guys:D (just kidding) Every one who was there were a bunch of class act guys, honestly. I really enjoyed myself.
We definitely have to do this again in the near future, there's just too many dvd's to watch, we were there 7 hours and barely scratched the surface.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks Alan for the great time :)
You have absolutely a wonderful system. Nice to meet you David, Kev and LaMarcus! Had a wonderful time and your right- LaMarcus - 7 hours was not enough.
Also Alan thanks for the Pizza aand beverages. I enjoyed the time together very much.
And I feel bad cause these guys Davis and LaMarcu beat me to the thanks first!
The SVS/PW-2200 comparison was very interesting and the Pioneer Elite TV calibrates by Gregg was fabulous.
Thanks Again!
Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks for making this a special evening guys!! David, LaMarcus, Mike, and Kevin!! What a great group we had!!
I'd also like to thank the HTF for providing a place on the web where people with this sickness called "Home Theater Enthusiast" can join together in discussion and set up local meets as we did last night!!
I really appreciated the opportunity's to listen to the Studio 40's and SVS sub in my system. Thanks Mike and LaMarcus!!
I was very pleased to hear all of your complimentary comments on my system. I am proud of it. I'm sure you will all agree that my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD is an excellent set. I give credit to the fine ISF calibration job that Gregg Loewen performed on my set to make it look as good as it does. LaMarcus cracked me up a few times last night when he noticed things on DVD's that he had never seen before.
And, I must say, I was extremely impressed with the 25-31 PCi SVS sub. Thanks LaMarcus! Now I have to figure out a way to get sounds like that out of my Paradigm PW-2200!!
And the Studio 40's sounded better than my Monitor 7's. They seemed to have much better mid-range, and the high-end was better, much more listen-able than the 7's. Thanks Mike!
All in all , a good time was had by all!! Let's do this again, real soon!! ;)

Just chiming in about what a good time I had at the meet last night. Sorry I had to bail out early on you guys. Next time I'll be there for the long haul. Might even have to bring a sleeping bag. (kidding)
Mike, Dave, LaMarcus, it was terrific meeting you all. I expected it would be a good time meeting guys who are just as "geeked out" about this technology as Al and myself, and I was not disappointed. Now, I'm looking forward to the next meeting. When my basement gets finished, we will definitely have a meeting at my place. :emoji_thumbsup:
Al, as always, thanks for being such a complete and most gracious host. I'm lucky to be able to swing by your place on a regular basis and enjoy your system. I think we both learned a vast amount of new information about one of our favorite subjects, thanks to the expertise of Mike, Dave, and LaMarcus. It's awesome for guys to actually bring down componets, and do an absolute "side by side" comparison of the components hooked to a high horsepower system. What a great bunch of dudes. :D Now I gotta find a way to unload these Monitor 7's so I can buy at set of Studio Series......Do the upgrades never end???? ;)
Looking forward to seeing you guys again!!!
Ciao,
Kev

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you guys had a good time. Hopefully next time will be a night when I'm free. Just let me know and I'm there!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Now I gotta find a way to unload these Monitor 7's so I can buy at set of Studio Series......Do the upgrades never end????
Hey you don't need to find a way, you found the way Saturday and the name of the way is "LaMarcus"! How those speakers sounded at Allan's are ideal for my listening preferrence, so when ever your ready to upgrade let me know.:D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Brian, yes, it was fun. You started all this with your thread. You must be in on the next one! What a great group we had!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Just got an e-mail from George in Cleveland. He wants to come to a HTF Meet and hear a SVS sub and see an ISF calibrated Pioneer Elite HDTV.

I told him to keep a check on this thread!

Kevin,
Don't sell your Monitor 7's....buy an amp!!

Update on my future plans...Keeping the Elite, (best picture I've ever seen), but adding a front projector to get that "TRUE" Home Theater Effect!! Buying an SVS sub to compliment my PW-2200!! BIG picture and BIG sound!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks