What's new

"Umbrella" Banana connection?? (1 Viewer)

Thomas B

Agent
I asked a question about banana plugs a few days ago, and I appreciated the responses to that. However, I dropped by Radio Shack today to check out their stock of banana plugs. The sales guy showed me a few types, and one of these (model #278-307) just required pulling the black (or red) cover off and placing the bare wire in the center and merely bending the wire back through a side hole, essentially crimping it in place. Seemed easy enough. However, the gold banana connector (model #278-306) is a screw type, and was actually the one that I had been thinking of getting. He proceeded to show how the plug unscrewed, and then he said that I should "umbrella" the strands of wire into the center core and then screw the whole thing together. I was quite confused as to what he meant by that, and was late for an appointment, so I just jetted outta there. Those gold plugs looked good, but what did he mean by that "umbrella" phrase? Are the screw type banana connectors more difficult to connect that the plain type?

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Basically you unscrew the plug body. Strup some insulation off the wire. Pull that part thru the hole and fray out the wire around the threads. Then screw the body back together again. I believe these are the type of plugs you are talking about

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks