What's new

Ultraviolet: What do you like and not like about it? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thank you Steve. I know the way I put it always seems confrontational, I guess that's just my style, but you expressed it with a grace I am incapable of.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, but to do it I had to take out a whole paragraph I eventually decided was way too confrontational :) So I'm in the same boat, ha.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Except what you are advocating is actually, you know, against the law Tower.
Quoting from an article that Matt highlighted (which i then read) is not advocating such an action but nice try though.
Meanwhile over 2 million UV accounts have been activated and growing....

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
And you'd better hope it keeps growing, and never stops :)
I do as well for my favorite formats DVD and BD. Still love the package, presentation and well done audio. My husband and I continue our collection of films. We live in a great age where we have all these choices!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Now it' up to 3 million, growing faster than DVD! By the way, the Paramount app is unnecessary because the vudu app is already available on Xbox.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
Now it' up to 3 million, growing faster than DVD! By the way, the Paramount app is unnecessary because the vudu app is already available on Xbox.
Yes Joshua it was just announced they hit 3 million and you are correct growing faster than DVD. Weather we like it or not People are warming up to Ultraviolet. The market will continue to grow.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
So why do they bother? That's the kind of thing that sets you back not puts you forward. False 'choices' indeed.
They bother because some may choose not to go thru VUDU. Isn't giving the consumer choices wonderful!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So I downloaded my first two uv codes the last couple of days.
Jaws a Uni Title and The Dictator a Paramount title.
I've been jumping through hoops all day today trying to get them on all the different possible viewing places.
They are supposed to be available on Vudu and Jaws is supposed to be available also on Amazon also they should appear on flixter but they don't show up there.
I've been able to get them to show on vudu but it turned out I had two diffent accou ts there.
One was signed into using Walmart. So that caused a problem in that the two movies weren't showing up.
Turns out I had to create a seperate vudu account with a different sign in to see the movies on vudu, so I did that and now have two vudu accounts.
I had to create seperate accounts for both Paramount and Uni and then link them to vudu.
So for to movies I have five accounts open.
One for Uni, one for Para, two for vudu and one more for UV.
I still can't get them to appear on flixter, can't get Jaws on Amazon and can't get either on the vudu app on my blu ray player.
What's not to love about UV?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I am sorry you had so much trouble. It's not that obvious, but you definitely do not need 5 accounts. You just needed 3. Jaws can be redeemed on Flixster, and The Dictator can be redeemed on vudu.com Amazon.com is not UltraViolet compatible yet, so your movies aren't supposed to show up yet. Also, not all studio's libraries are compatible with Flixster. I have about 34 films that won't play on flixster. I have had zero problems with redemptions, and I have done 25. I just wish more titles had UV digital copies. I love the service. I do hope Amazon will launch UV service soon, as more devices are compatible with it.
http://www.vudu.com/ecopy.html
http://www.flixster.com/ultraviolet/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Joshua I don't agree with you at all.
I had to do all that just to get two movies to show up on one of my now two vudu accounts.
Also
efcbb437014dac6a7cc41eb98bf21682.jpg

I've heard other people on different boards say they HAVE used the codes with success on amazon.
Plus when I type the Jaws code into flixter it says I've already used the code to my limit.
I don't even know why I would have to do that since they are all suppose to magically link up but haven't as of now.
As for those two links, that flixter link told me the code was used too many times already and
As I mentioned before I do have the movies on vudu they just won't appear on my vudu app on my Sony bluray player.
The Disctator was there, I watched 15 minutes of it but after I loaded Jaws in
The dictator vanished and Jaws never appeared.
Too much to do and too many different web sites I need to open accounts onto.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Sam Posten said:
Except what you are advocating is actually, you know, against the law Tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
Buying means something very specific that is VERY different from how you are acquiring music and movies via digital licensing schemes, including Apples Fair Play.
Bottom line: If you can't sell it again you didn't BUY it.
Well then, you must not have bought any movies, music, or anything else from the iTunes store that you say you love so much, because you can't sell any of those things again, can you.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Re-read my post, they can be re-deemed on Flixster and vudu.com. The digital copy on Amazon.com is not UltraViolet compatible. The code is for a regular digital copy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
Well then, you must not have bought any movies, music, or anything else from the iTunes store that you say you love so much, because you can't sell any of those things again, can you.
AGREED. See, I even noted Apple's Fair Play in my post. You guys keep wanting to put words in my mouth that aren't there to try to push this rotten system, but it isn't helping.
BUT, your position may be on shaky ground, tho it is too early to tell. The EU has mandated that such transactions (for games anyway, to start) be counted as sales with the consumer rights that go along with them. It's off to a slow start and who know's if we will get those rights in America any time soon, but it is a glimmer of hope.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/crikey-eu-rules-you-can-resell-downloaded-games/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
If Amazon.com offered Disc to Digital for .99 cents a disc, would you consider uing it?
If it gave me DRM free files yes, for sure.
If it gave me FairPlay but HD files, maybe on a few yes.
If it gave me UV files no way in heck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks