What's new

UltraViolet has soft launch today! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Kevin Collins

[...]

UltraViolet enables three simultaneous streams of each title this year and additional downloads to twelve registered devices next year.

That's the miscommunication from UV: there are no downloads, as I typically think of it. Only streaming.

I'm sure this could be useful for many: Netflix is popular for business travelers and it's streaming only. But that's $8 a month and people can watch stuff they don't own. UV is $25 per movie, and only shows them stuff they already bought.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think he is saying downloads won't work until next year. Colossally stupid but hey we have that to look forward to as they'll keep saying "wait to judge till downloads go live" /facepalm

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah. Yes. Fortunately, things move slowly on the internet. They've got plenty of time to dawdle on key features.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Good grief. Based on the review, UV is a mess. Who in the world is the supposed to appeal to? One of the biggest red flags that the reviewer points out is the use of the word "restrictions". You can do this, you can't do that. You have rights for "at least a year" (that's a confidence builder). I can't wait to not get excited about this.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It's this simple to me- If I cannot place a digital copy into my iTunes library, then this is worthless to me. I *WILL NOT*- 1. Rely on streaming to eat up my bandwidth unnecessarily for something I "bought." 2. Use another app that doesn't work with all my iStuff (Apple TV). 3. Register several new accounts for new and interesting ways to be marketed to. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is my first encounter with this nonsense. I guess I'll use Handbrake to make a digital copy from the included DVD in the package, as I've done for most of my library.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I think he is saying downloads won't work until next year. Colossally stupid but hey we have that to look forward to as they'll keep saying "wait to judge till downloads go live"
/facepalm

This is incorrect...downloads work right now (as of 11/11/11). I downloaded the Green Lantern and Harry Potter to my PC and Ipad. They are now live.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Todd Hochard

It's this simple to me-
If I cannot place a digital copy into my iTunes library, then this is worthless to me.
I *WILL NOT*-
1. Rely on streaming to eat up my bandwidth unnecessarily for something I "bought."
2. Use another app that doesn't work with all my iStuff (Apple TV).
3. Register several new accounts for new and interesting ways to be marketed to.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is my first encounter with this nonsense. I guess I'll use Handbrake to make a digital copy from the included DVD in the package, as I've done for most of my library.

I have read that if you call the UV support line or email and complain about your lack of iproduct support they will give you a code for an itunes download of the title.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Towergrove

I have read that if you call the UV support line or email and complain about your lack of iproduct support they will give you a code for an itunes download of the title.

Doing that every single title? What a nuisance.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
That's definitely interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll grab Green Lantern after all!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Confirmed, it's a total clusterf! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/17/warner_bros_giving_itunes_redemption_codes_to_unhappy_ultraviolet_users.html

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Confirmed, it's a total clusterf!

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/17/warner_bros_giving_itunes_redemption_codes_to_unhappy_ultraviolet_users.html

Should point out that this was mentioned as happening as early as last Friday the day the potter movies were released so Warner must have made plans for this before the release of potter to react so quickly. Also Warner giving out free codes for iTunes is one less sale for iTunes since the person purchasing the film has already in hand the Warner DVD or BD.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sam Posten said:
Confirmed, it's a total clusterf! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/17/warner_bros_giving_itunes_redemption_codes_to_unhappy_ultraviolet_users.html
Any one have a Warner phone number so I can get a itunes code? Hate this ultraviolet crap. Have all the Potters on itunes except for the last one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nevermind. Emailed them and got the itunes code Here is their response: "Dear Valentino: Thank you for being one of our best customers and among the first to try UltraViolet™ Digital Copy. While we have received a lot of positive reaction to UltraViolet, we realize that with any new technology there is a learning curve for both creators and consumers, and this is especially true around new user experiences. It's important to us that you are fully satisfied with your purchase. We are issuing you an an iTunes code for your movie so that you can obtain an iOS-compatible download of this title immediately. . We are excited by UltraViolet's ability to offer you a digital locker copy of your purchased title. With UltraViolet today, you can download your title to a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS-compatible device for off-line playback. In addition, you can stream it to your PC, Mac, or compatible iOS and Android devices. You can also add up to six members to your account so that your whole family can enjoy the movie. And UltraViolet provides ongoing access to your titles from the cloud, meaning you will enjoy the benefit of future enhancements to the service, including the addition of new devices, download formats, and retailers. Thanks again for taking the time to contact us. We'd like to keep the channels of communication open and look forward to hearing from you as we continue our rollout of UltraViolet-enabled titles. Sincerely, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Flixster You can access your UltraViolet movie collection at any time at ultraviolet.flixster.com. For more information about UltraViolet, and to manage your UltraViolet account, go to uvvu.com.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What was the email? I have el-cheapo copies of Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern inbound from the Amazon sales and I intend to take em up on the digital copies and let them know they should quit while they are behind.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

What was the email? I have el-cheapo copies of Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern inbound from the Amazon sales and I intend to take em up on the digital copies and let them know they should quit while they are behind.

Dont believe they are quiting any time soon.
BTW...A two page gatefold ad is in this weeks Entertainment Weekly touting UV looks great!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Dont believe they are quiting any time soon.  BTW...A two page gatefold ad is in this weeks Entertainment Weekly touting UV looks great!
That's what people said about DIVX, and HDDVD. They had big ad campains too.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Not being an expert on all things UV, it seems to me one reason this is unattractive is that they are selling the "idea" of owning a movie & then fiddling with accessing it for the rest of your life. The reason digital music, apps, digital books, etc. work so well now is that you first buy the phone, iPod, MP3 player, Kindle etc. and then you get some content to go with it. TV set: get cable or satellite. MP3 player: get some digital tunes. DVD/BD player: get some discs. It's based around getting a device first, and then getting content to enjoy on it. We have to believe that our devices (smartphones, TVs, etc) will continue to evolve. Let's say a consumer buys a UV thing now. But a year or two down the line, a new smartphone, BD player, TV set, tablet or other device comes along that catches their eye. What UV is betting on is that every single new innovation in technology is going to either a) include the UV technology, or b) that the developer will even want to include it. And if it is included, then there is probably going to be further retro-registration & setting up involved on the part of the consumer in order to get the old stuff to operate on the next devices.... All while there will be competing models of renting, subscribing and ownership that may be less clunky on future devices. I suspect the set-up and access will get easier in the short-term, but I have to think that future devices aren't going to necessarily fall in w/ UV just cause UV says so. It just seems backwards.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Word. Just another example of the content providers being foist upon their own DRM petards. www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/11/cutting-their-own-throats.html Can't blame them from trying to get around the Amazon and iTunes walls, but this is not the way to do it. Consumers are NOT going to give up one walled garden for another, especially not such a crappy garden as what the studios have built up so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks