What's new

UltraViolet has soft launch today! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorta but no not really but kinda maybe.
Does UltraViolet work worldwide? UltraViolet has made viewing UltraViolet content around the globe as easy as possible. Streaming rights may not be available in a given geography, but you can download your content to be able to watch it wherever you and your devices may be. Full details here...
http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php
Streaming availability may also be subject to restrictions that exist for certain periods of time for certain titles. If and when such restrictions exist, information related to restrictions will be provided to account members via the account's digital library.
The functionality and rights for downloads that are described here are planned, but not guaranteed, and are subject to change.
This is the kinda #%@% that drives me mad. Either I BUY something or I don't. I can rent something or not. but don't rent me something and make it seem like I'm buying it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I thought you said the UV apps were live? This article says that UV Apps still are in the consideration process: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/apple-prepping-movie-cloud-service-devices-may-work-with-ultraviolet.html Something doesn't add up, I assume it's LAT who is misinformed. Either way, a battle is looming.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I thought you said the UV apps were live? This article says that UV Apps still are in the consideration process:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/apple-prepping-movie-cloud-service-devices-may-work-with-ultraviolet.html
Something doesn't add up, I assume it's LAT who is misinformed.
Either way, a battle is looming.

They are live...I am playing my Green Lantern UV copy on my Iphone 4 right now as I type this. I am using the Flixster App on the Iphone. UV was very easy to set up and I was glad to see that with the Green Lantern movie purchase they are also giving you a free UV copy of the DC Comic green lantern that came out earlier this year.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Kevin Collins

Well, even I am confused. I've asked for some clarification on this from some of the folks at MS, but haven't got a reply yet.

I was going to by Horrible Bosses from Amazon today.

Ummm… Which one has UV in it?

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Horrible-Bosses-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B004EPZ08E/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318568948&sr=8-1]Horrible Bosses Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy?

Or

Horrible Bosses Blu-Ray without DVD and Digital Copy?

I was told that there is supposed to be a sticker on the title that says if it is UV "enabled".

So I went to BBY tonight. Hmm BBY only carries the premium BD version.

These are pictures of the box...

I didn't buy it from BBY as I don't want to pay the premium price (I can get the same movie from Amazon for $5 cheaper) and I don't know if I can get UV with just the movie only version $17.99 on Amazon.

Since I didn't buy it yet, I can't test out UV. But it looks like I only get streaming and I have to go through Flixster (not currently a member, don't know if I want to be a member).

Note that if you get this you have to redeem it by 10/11/13... I wonder if that means it no longer steams after 10/11/13?

Kevin-

The Green Lantern box says the same thing. You register a UV account and you then go to Flixster to stream the movie. Right now that the only choice of place to stream from. Should be more added at a later date. There is also a download button but when you run your mouse over that button it indicates that the download function will be available December 20th. This also includes the ability to make a DVD copy of the movie. It seems to me that the soft launch is only a partial launch of the service as well, too peace meal if you ask me. The only problem with the registration process that I didnt like is that I by accident without knowing registered using my facebook login and that is not something I wanted to do. I dont want everyone to know what im watching and when (seem like an invasion of my privacy). Im unsure how to reverse this.

If tech savvy (and semi savvy which I put myself into that category) people are having problems with this how do they expect the general public to use this??

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Sam Posten said:
Insert something snarky here =)
C'mon Sam. That's just copping out. You're supposed to have your usual snarky remark ready to go when you post. I'm intrigued by the potential of this program, yet like Sam, I am a bit wary of the fine print.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm trying to be nice here Joe. I know people like Kevin and Sarah have at least interest if not enthusiasm for this program, and I'm trying not to rain on their launch parade. As Sarah notes, the vendors are doing a good enough job of that themselves. The proof will be in the pudding, I'll reserve judgement for when the system is fully operational. But what I won't be silent on is on major faults of this scheme: -Permission based DRM sucks -Apple and Disney are not on board, although the Flixster app seems to allow streaming. Downloads to iPads? How's that work? -The vendors are up front about their intent for this to kill rental, This scheme has to be so good that the vast majority of people would prefer it to the system that has worked great in various forms for 40 years since the betamax launch. Supporters of this scheme have to be aware that their gain is the loss of rental for people who prefer that, and once it's gone it's gone. As much as I prefer to buy rather than rent movies over all, if I knew that my buying was going to remove rental choices for others I would be VERY wary.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Sam Posten said:
... -The vendors are up front about their intent for this to kill rental, This scheme has to be so good that the vast majority of people would prefer it to the system that has worked great in various forms for 40 years since the betamax launch. Supporters of this scheme have to be aware that their gain is the loss of rental for people who prefer that, and once it's gone it's gone. As much as I prefer to buy rather than rent movies over all, if I knew that my buying was going to remove rental choices for others I would be VERY wary.
Good point Sam. And just because something isn't available to rent, doesn't mean people will buy it. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyed once and you move on. They might not fit my "collection" or interests, so I rent them. "Green Lantern" is a perfect example (for me). Typically I love these comic book movies. But I heard mixed reviews about this one. I will rent a copy. If people were suddenly deprived of rental options, I suspect they'll just watch more stuff "on demand" or through a streaming service. Maybe that's what the studios would prefer happen. But if that's the case, then what in the world is the harm in providing a rental? Not sure I get the UV thinking completely. If you can't get enthusiasts behind your format, you won't have success. And outside of the suits pushing it, I've seen no enthusiasm. It may be too early to know for sure, and UV does have some benefits. But if the goal is simply to kill rental, then it's probably doomed.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Thing is as someone who likes to buy Blurays anyway and would do so without the UV, I see it as a bonus for those films that have it that I buy and thats it really.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
ArsTechnica is not impressed, to say the least: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/11/your-movie-on-every-platform-sort-of-for-a-while-how-the-new-ultraviolet-drm-fails.ars]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You beat me to it! :)

I've not spent any time with UV yet, and based on that review I can continue to ignore it. It fails the gym-and-business-trip test, so is of no use to me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

ArsTechnica is not impressed, to say the least: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/11/your-movie-on-every-platform-sort-of-for-a-while-how-the-new-ultraviolet-drm-fails.ars]

That article confirmed all my suspicions... I'll continue to ignore it. The studios just don't have a clue on how to deal with the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks