UltraViolet has soft launch today!

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by DaveF, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Signed up. Haven't tried it yet.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I abstain. Courteously.

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Are people outside the US able to use this when they import US Blu=rays and DVDs ??

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Sorta but no not really but kinda maybe.
    http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php
    This is the kinda #%@% that drives me mad. Either I BUY something or I don't. I can rent something or not. but don't rent me something and make it seem like I'm buying it.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I thought you said the UV apps were live? This article says that UV Apps still are in the consideration process: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/apple-prepping-movie-cloud-service-devices-may-work-with-ultraviolet.html Something doesn't add up, I assume it's LAT who is misinformed. Either way, a battle is looming.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I still don't see the point of this...

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The point is to kill rental. Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

8. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah

They are live...I am playing my Green Lantern UV copy on my Iphone 4 right now as I type this. I am using the Flixster App on the Iphone. UV was very easy to set up and I was glad to see that with the Green Lantern movie purchase they are also giving you a free UV copy of the DC Comic green lantern that came out earlier this year.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The answer to the question on the NBC side, I'm saying, is NO. =)

10. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah

Kevin-

The Green Lantern box says the same thing. You register a UV account and you then go to Flixster to stream the movie. Right now that the only choice of place to stream from. Should be more added at a later date. There is also a download button but when you run your mouse over that button it indicates that the download function will be available December 20th. This also includes the ability to make a DVD copy of the movie. It seems to me that the soft launch is only a partial launch of the service as well, too peace meal if you ask me. The only problem with the registration process that I didnt like is that I by accident without knowing registered using my facebook login and that is not something I wanted to do. I dont want everyone to know what im watching and when (seem like an invasion of my privacy). Im unsure how to reverse this.

If tech savvy (and semi savvy which I put myself into that category) people are having problems with this how do they expect the general public to use this??

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Insert something snarky here =)

12. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    C'mon Sam. That's just copping out. You're supposed to have your usual snarky remark ready to go when you post. I'm intrigued by the potential of this program, yet like Sam, I am a bit wary of the fine print.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm trying to be nice here Joe. I know people like Kevin and Sarah have at least interest if not enthusiasm for this program, and I'm trying not to rain on their launch parade. As Sarah notes, the vendors are doing a good enough job of that themselves. The proof will be in the pudding, I'll reserve judgement for when the system is fully operational. But what I won't be silent on is on major faults of this scheme: -Permission based DRM sucks -Apple and Disney are not on board, although the Flixster app seems to allow streaming. Downloads to iPads? How's that work? -The vendors are up front about their intent for this to kill rental, This scheme has to be so good that the vast majority of people would prefer it to the system that has worked great in various forms for 40 years since the betamax launch. Supporters of this scheme have to be aware that their gain is the loss of rental for people who prefer that, and once it's gone it's gone. As much as I prefer to buy rather than rent movies over all, if I knew that my buying was going to remove rental choices for others I would be VERY wary.

14. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Good point Sam. And just because something isn't available to rent, doesn't mean people will buy it. Some movies are just meant to be enjoyed once and you move on. They might not fit my "collection" or interests, so I rent them. "Green Lantern" is a perfect example (for me). Typically I love these comic book movies. But I heard mixed reviews about this one. I will rent a copy. If people were suddenly deprived of rental options, I suspect they'll just watch more stuff "on demand" or through a streaming service. Maybe that's what the studios would prefer happen. But if that's the case, then what in the world is the harm in providing a rental? Not sure I get the UV thinking completely. If you can't get enthusiasts behind your format, you won't have success. And outside of the suits pushing it, I've seen no enthusiasm. It may be too early to know for sure, and UV does have some benefits. But if the goal is simply to kill rental, then it's probably doomed.

15. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Thing is as someone who likes to buy Blurays anyway and would do so without the UV, I see it as a bonus for those films that have it that I buy and thats it really.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Is it even available in UAE?

17. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    ArsTechnica is not impressed, to say the least: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/11/your-movie-on-every-platform-sort-of-for-a-while-how-the-new-ultraviolet-drm-fails.ars]

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    You beat me to it! :)

I've not spent any time with UV yet, and based on that review I can continue to ignore it. It fails the gym-and-business-trip test, so is of no use to me.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

That article confirmed all my suspicions... I'll continue to ignore it. The studios just don't have a clue on how to deal with the internet.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Oh they know, they just aren't willing to do it.