UltraViolet chief predicts an end to geo-blocked video

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Towergrove, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
  2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    This would be a good thing. I will travel to China every year, and right now I can't stream or download my films when I'm there. UV itself isn't reigon coded, but the services that access it are. Except for flixster, which works everywhere that UV does. But that doesn't include China.

Towergrove likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think long-term, the current status-quo of things playing only on this device from this service when connected through that ISP or accessing from that location is going to fade away. I don't condone it, but pirated content is easier and easier to find all the time. The younger, more tech-savvy generations who are growing up on heavy computer use, streaming, etc., I don't think will think twice when it comes to working around geoblocks and other internet road blocks to content.

I grew up in an era where my viewing choices were limited to a) whatever the rabbit ears brought in (not much) and b) whatever the local video store had available for rent. Today, kids are growing up where practically anything they could want is available at the touch of a button. To a generation that's used to having content available, I think it may be unrealist to expect them to abide by rules that say "people who live in country X may view this webpage, but people in country Y may not" when they know how and where to just download the content illegally. I think the way technology and access is today anyway, a lot of people have a "I'll pay for it if i I can find it in three clicks or less, otherwise I'll just download it from some site" mentality. Make it easier for people to pay, they'll pay. Make it harder or take away the option, they'll just look elsewhere to where there aren't such rules.

For a service like Ultraviolet, which is built around the premise of, "your content, anywhere", having your purchased titles available no matter where you're actually standing at that moment seems like a no-brainer. The whole point of a UV collection is for it to be accessible to you when you're away from home. I'd venture to guess that most people don't interpret that to mean, "Mine to watch, as long as I'm within the 48 continental US states and connected to an ISP that's on good terms with the content provider"

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I just use a VPN, i won't be restricted by the country i reside in.