Ultraman: Where's the Authorized Release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Now that Tsuburaya Productions have won their fight against Chaiyo, I'm wondering how long is it going to be before we see legitimate releases of the Ultraman TV shows on DVD ... anyone heard anything about this?

2. Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn Supporting Actor

Do they even have copies of the U.S. dubbed masters which UA syndicated in the 60s? I wouldn't buy them again anyway as I'm sure many people wouldn't. The market has already been tainted. I've got about 5000 other shows to worry about without revisiting this one.

3. Mark Talmadge

Yes they do. Matter of fact, BCI asked Tsuburaya Productions for a copy of the original dubbed masters and Tsuburaya Productions politely refused because of their contention with Chaiyo.

4. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

From what I've read - they have the tracks in English,Spanish and French!

5. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

So those sets I have seen in Best Buy aren't authorized? I have an old bootleg and was wondering if a set with better picture quality had been released.

6. Mark Talmadge

The sets at Best Buy and other retailer outlets are legal copies as BCI obtained the license for their release from Chaiyo, who had the licenjse before the matter went back to court and Tsuburaya Productions won their fight against Chaiyo.

What this latest victory means is no one's guess but it could mean that we might see an official release by Tsuburaya Productions in regards to the original series.