ULTRA 7 REVIEW

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by dhammer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    I bought Ultra 7 and am very happy with the quality. I was a little unhappy about the English subtitles and being released in the original Japanese. I think I was very wrong about that. I like it being in the original language. You quickly get used to the subtitles. I think this is a very nice release.

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I was quite happy with the Ultraman set as I always wanted to see it in the original Japanese. Now it is the only way I watch it. The stories are sub-titled and make much more sense that way (as well as sounds better) as opposed to the dubbed versions. I recommend you view the entire set that way at least once. I am not familair with Ultra 7 but I imagine the original Japanese would be superior as well.

3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I've avoided this one since I have the dubbed on hand and prefer things like this that way. I'm sure it's fun in original language too. Would be great to have a choice somehow.
    How is the picture and sound quality? I was impressed with the Ultraman release for looks, but the playback wasn't very smooth and the sound was very lacking.

4. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    I thought the audio/video quality could not be better. Normally I would say I like to watch shows dubbed in English. Provided the dubbing is good. I also own the TBS dubbed versions and the dubbed dialog is completely different than the actual script. Because of these reasons, I got into the original Japanese. The sub-titles are a must though.

5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Huge dilemma for dubbed fans. I like original language/subs on most things, but my history with stuff like Ultraman, Godzilla, plus MST3K's influence, have me preferring dubbed on that stuff. I couldn't see watching something like Gamera or Spectreman any other way. Over the weekend I watched a Christmas gift I got, Godzilla Vs Biollante on blu ray. DTS 5.1 subbed. After, I tried out the mono dubbed and it's like a 97 cent frozen pizza Vs something from Pizza Hut. the mono was flat as a pizza. The DTS didn't make much use of surround, but it was very robust and pleasing when the film got exciting (basically 35 minutes into it, haha). I had a hard time keeping up with all the subs here, but I won't be able to watch the film in dubbed in the future since the difference it too great. Now with Ultraman... I just can't do it. I was probably 4 or 5 when I first saw that show in 1970 or 71. Original language on something like that loses the nostalgia. I even dislike that some of the ultraman episodes show the Japanese opening (which does look a lot better) instead of the English one that I grew up with. I guess a big price cut or sale will have me buying this original language release of U7 just to see it. I need to check out some youtube clips of the show in original language. I'm sure it's good that way.. Worth owning.. and I still have my other versions. Note: I sure wish they would hurry and release Johnny Sokko. I had that preordered and I think they canceled. :(

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Can't edit the above, but here's a correction on Johnny Sokko. http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Sokko-His-Flying-Robot/dp/B00AJXO3ZQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2QZ3JRA6L5XHE&coliid=I5LQPDIJEEUVL coming in March from Shout! Woo hoo!