What's new

UK: Top Gear, for the fans.. (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am through with Top Gear. I muscled through the current season, but even with Chris Evans now gone from the show it doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of the hosts are a bore(including Matt Leblanc) in my opinion. It is just a chore to watch now.\
Imagine if your favorite band lost all of its original members, kept the name and still performed with a completely different sound. Would it still be your favorite band?

The chemistry, comedy, and love of fine automobiles from May, Hammond, and Clarkson was a sight to see.
I really hope 'The Grand Tour' is a success, and just as fun to watch as old time 'Top Gear'.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
For myself the new Top Gear has just been kind of "meh". But, I'm willing to stick with it for a while. I stuck with the original Top Gear when it was boring and I will keep hope that the new cast will finally gel into something good. It takes a while to build bonds and camaraderie so I'll give it a few seasons to see how it goes.

The last episode of the season was probably my favorite because it felt like just maybe the cast might be finally getting used to each other. But time will tell.

By the way, loved Matt LeBlanc's Porsche 911R review complete with large sandwich and built-in sandwich holder.

Last edited:

EliAmador

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Elias Amador
I agree that the new season started out kind of weak, but it seems to be getting stronger.

There's still a part of me that rejects any Top Gear that doesn't feature Clarkson, May and Hammond. It seems wrong for them to introduce the Stig the way Clarkson used to do. It's like having your parents get a divorce, and then having a "New Dad" try to ingratiate himself with you as if he's your new best friend. It just feels weird and wrong.

That said, the new hosts seem to be getting a better feel for each other and the audience as they go along. Joey's, er Matt's, bit with the sandwich in the 911 was pretty damn funny. And I like the hosts for the Extra Gear segments even more than the regular TG hosts.

I kind of feel bad for Chris Evans, who got the boot without having much time to prove himself, but he was definitely my least favorite part of the show. It was like he was trying way too hard to be enthusiastic and clever. Part of the charm of the old hosts was their effortless camaraderie and silly, but unforced, humor. Hopefully, the new version will eventually get the right mix of hosts and segments and make the show something new and fun again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks