What's new

UGH!!! What do I buy next??? (1 Viewer)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
OK, the time to upgrade has come again. Do I buy a Sony STR-DA2ES receiver or an SVS 20-39 CS subwoofer?

I currently have a Sony STR-DE475 receiver which is doing the job for now, but is there going to be a sonic difference by changing to the 2ES? ( I have Energy take 5.2 speakers)

My subs consist of a Sony SA-WM20 (8 inch 50 watt), and 2 64 liter DIY sealed cubes with two unknown 12" car subs I got off a guy for 50 bucks, powered by a Kenwood 2 channel amp @ 175 watts per channel. I would plan on powering the SVS with this kenwood amp until I find a suitable plate amp.

Please! What would YOU do?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver needs to go. There will be a very noticable difference. Get the SVS later.

AaronWT

Agent
I just ordered an SVS 2039pci. I wish I would have done it last Summer before I upgraded from a 30ES to a 4ES. From what I've read these SVS subwoofers are really phenominal. If I had it over again I would definitely have upgraded my Sub before my receiver. But then again it sounds like you won't know what you're missing. I'll find out how the SVSub sounds next week. Hopefully I can catch UPS on Monday when they try to deliver it.

My Home Theater

My DVD Collection

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Going from a 30ES to a 4ES is not the same as going from Sony's lowest model to a 2ES. I picked up the 475 for my bedroom, because I thought it was a good deal at $150, and I was completely unimpressed. The lack of power was very apparent. I sold it within a few days.

SVS subs ARE phenomenal. :D

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Yep, John you are right. I just compared my de475 head to head vs. a DB940 and the difference was amazing. I listened to the first chapter of Jackass the Movie, where they roll down the hill in a shopping cart with Carmina Burana playing loudly. When the dirt cannons exploded on them, my 475's volume dropped dramatically (is this the capacitors draining?) and never recovered during the song. On the DB940 the crack of the cannons was sharp and loud with no hint of volume dropout.

I will order the STR-DA2ES Tuesday. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks