What's new

Ugh...my black lab ate a road atlas! (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
One of my labs ate my new 2002 Rand McNally road atlas that I just bought the night before.
angry.gif
I came home from work to find it shredded and many pages missing. Well, the pages were in the piles of vomit all over my dining room. After she couldn't keep down any food or water all night, I took her into the vet. $150+ later, I think I can safely say that was the most expensive damned atlas that I've ever bought.
furious.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ouch, that's no good. I've got one up on ya, though. I paid over $200 for a pack of floss. Yup, brand new pack of floss, my wife put it on the counter and the next morning it was gone. Dog ate the whole thing. A day later, she (the dog, not my wife) had floss hanging out her rear end, was cramped up, and could barely move. She spent almost a week at the vet on various drugs until she finally got it all out.
Hope your dog is feeling better, and your carpet is OK... :)
------------------
-Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on September 28, 2001 at 10:11 AM]

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully you didn't get your lab without knowing that EVERYTHING you own will end up in its mouth. Seat cushion, TV remotes, magazines, flowers from the garden, cat poop, beenie babies, cat poop, that leftover chunk of 2x4 in the garage that you've been meaning to throw away...
Steve "Roo-roo-roo" Peterson
------------------

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually Steve, I did know about it. When I got both labs, they were each less than a year old. They chewed like crazy until they were about two years old. They chewed up two sofas (used, thankfully) a love seat and a recliner. The female also managed to chew through the hollow-core door in my basement and got her head trapped between the door and top of a cage when I was trying to crate train her. When I first got the male, he chewed through the electrical cord of a lamp...while it was plugged in! Luckily I've never had a problem with them eating their own waste or any other dog's for that matter. They don't know how good they have it. Anyone else I know would never put up with that kind of destruction. They seemed to outgrow the chewing faze. I think perhaps this latest incident was backlash for not playing fetch in the backyard in the morning. She had a strained rear leg and the vet told me to have her take it easy for a while. Apparently she didn't want to.
angry.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
[Edited last by Michael*K on September 28, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
10 years ago,when my rotty was a pup, she ate everything including some rare records I just recently was able to get back off of ebay.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Wow, and I thought it was tough going through the teething stages with my kids!
eek.gif
Now I'm never going to buy a dog. (I've always wanted a husky...forget it!) Looks like cats aren't so bad afterall.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Even after they destroy most of your possessions (which has happened to me), you still end up loving them to death, though :)
------------------
[Edited last by Yoshi Sugawara on September 28, 2001 at 12:57 PM]

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
My yellow lab (Roscoe P. Coaltrain) is known at the vet as the "underwear dog". He has made at least a half a dozen trips to the vet for induced vomitting. His favorite dish is womens panties and bras. And with my wife and 2 daughters leaving their laundry all over the house, there is no shortage of stuff to feed his fetish.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
There was a news story a year or so ago - verified - about a very large dog in the UK that ate a cellphone. Calling the phone resulted in in-dog ringing. No surgery was required, just patience, and the phone emerged in working order.
My old quasi-beagle once ate most of a 2 pound bag of Reeses Peanut Butter cups (the big ones) I had bought for Halloween. What she couldn't eat she buried in my bed. She had no ill effects.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Ahhh, this beings back so many memories of my dog, Max (a Samoyed). He used to play numerous pranks like that. His favourite were children's socks. He would collect a sock and go under the dining table to chew on it. The funny thing about it is if he heard footsteps coming, he would quickly swallow the evidence, which would turn up later in the back yard. Whenever I had to leave the house and I had to leave him in the house, I used to keep him in the basement (I wanted to prevent any destruction over the rest of the house). He ended up chewing a hole in the drywall big enough for a beagle to fit through. I bought him one of those doggie beds and that ended up lasting one day. All that was left was stuffing all over the place...........and many other stories
rolleyes.gif

The joys of being a dog owner.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on September 28, 2001 at 02:01 PM]

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Two years ago at christmas, mine ate an entire box of Whitmans chocolates and then raided the supply cabinet where he consumed a pair of wiper blades ! For a while I just thought he got into the blade package and chewed them, but after we moved away I never found any piece of them. Those must have been painful for him to pass, but the vet checked him out 4 days later and said he was fine.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Speaking of swallowing the evidence, I was at the vet last year and a person was there to have stitches removed from her Golden Retriever. Seems the pooch swallowed a whole beanie baby and they had to perform surgery to remove it! Thankfully I've never had to put one of mine under the knife.
Even after everything they do, I never hit my dogs. The closest I ever came is about a month after I got my second Lab, she chewed up my high school yearbook from my junior year AND the baby book that my mom had made after I was born...just pulled them right off of my bookshelf. I was pretty devastated. I still have the shredded pages and photos in case I ever think of trying to glue them into a scrapbook.
frown.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
My Chocolate Lab Baron ate a pound and a half of DELICIOUS bananna bread my girlfriend made last weekend.
We keep him in the kitchen when we are not around so he can't get to the important stuff (HT!). But he loves to pull tupperware off the counter. He at part of the wallpaper off the wall. Paper products are his favorite.
He's just 8 months old so we give him slack. But we have to wait another 16 months before he stops chewing!?! Wow.
Of course he has a website. I need to post some current picutures
Link Removed
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only
[Edited last by Scott DeToffol on September 28, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Things I have surgically removed from the stomach and intestines of dogs:
whole chew hoof, golf balls, rocks, fish hooks, peach pits, pantyhose, beach towel, sole of tennis shoe, 1 gallon of cooked black-eyed peas, various coinage.
from stomach and intestines of cats:
ribbon, Christmas tree tinsel, head from plastic toy, giant hairballs, string & yarn.
Sometimes just waiting for it to come out doesn't work. Then it's time for the scapel blade!

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I didn't think that any beast alive could consume 1 gallon of black eyed peas. Too bad it wasn't new years, he could have packed down 4 pounds of corned beef and been the luckiest dog on the planet!
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ah, doggies! Gotta love 'em! Our one beagle once ate two packs of cough drops - she didn't show any ill effects and her breath smelled good for days!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It's lucky for the dog that you didn't have to look up the directions to the vet!!! :)
LL cool B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks