What's new

UFC Ongoing Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The prospect of Machida somehow eventually ending up with that belt makes me very nervous. Mainly because it has a real good chance of happening if for no other reason than to spite me.

So, while the UFC has been chearning out new matches all week and stuff, there's been something going on I haven't even mentioned here.

There was to be a World Cagefighting Organization show last night in San Diego. Renato "Babalu" Sobral was to headline and it was going to feature other big names like Ricco Rodriguez, David "The Crow" Loiseau and Joe Riggs.

The weigh-ins on Friday took nearly 5 hours to complete for various reasons, people not showing up and what not and then the show was actually canceled yesterday. Why was it canceled? Because the CSAC determined that the group had insufficient funds to pay the fighter's purses.

I guess it is good to get that first big disaster of a show out of the way early in the calendar year, and it could be awhile before we see a failure so spectacular again.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
Is Sherk fighting for the belt or another match? The owner of the show that got cancelled was on Inside MMA the other day, he sounded really excited for his organization, this almost sounds like the death blow to it though.

As bad as it is for it to fail, the other mid level organizations could use their top talent...IFL, WEC, EliteXC, M-1.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Each fight would be interesting for their own reasons. Liddell vs. Jardine because I'd love to see Liddell avenge that loss. And Liddell vs. Silva because I'd love to see another great brawl, just like the first one was and maybe we'll get to see a more aggressive Silva this time. But I think those matches should wait until they are title matches to make them a hell of a lot more interesting.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of pointing out that just because someone beats someone else on any given night doesn't mean that same result would happen on a different night -- especially in MMA, where so many things can happen. Still, my general thought about rematches is there has to be a reason. Reasons can be things like controversial win, uncommon mistake, etc. I didn't see any of that in either of Chuck's recent fights. I'd rather Silva go against Jardine and Chuck gets the winner. As for Tito Ortiz, I don't see where he's earned a shot at any of the top fighters, but of course he's money in the bank still. I would have no problem with a Liddell v Rua fight.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of them were too one dimensional or just lacked the experience to compete right now in the UFC. I think even tommy speer falls into this category. Lots of brute strength but what else does he have? not much right now. Unless he is just handed a complete can, he wont be doing so good for a year or 2.

I think a better avenue for the UFC to take with the Ultimate Fighter show is to use the fighters they already have. I know very little about guys who are fighting on the undercard of most cards, other than their name. It would make those fights a lot more interesting. The UFC is getting big enough, and Im sure Spike would love this too...have another show to feature the newbies and one for guys already in the UFC. The current TUF format is getting a little stale.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
UFC kind of did that with TUF 4 and the results were less than stellar.

The problem is that you've got 2 forces fighting against one another. UFC who wants to cast guys that can fight, and SpikeTV who wants to cast guys who are interesting personalities. Face is both of those masters have to be served somehow for the show to be any good. A show with a bunch of great fighters who are as boring as rocks would be a complete disaster. A show with guys who can't fight but are entertaining in the house or whatever would turn off the fight fans.

This last time I think they went too far with the people they thought were good personalities.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

No, Riggs was to appear in the WEC earlier in 2007 but asked for and got out of his UFC deal.

Riggs is a classic example of a beast in training who is missing something during the actual fights.

Of course, he has at times had to deal with more pressing issues like the death of a young son.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks