UFC Ongoing Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Andres Munoz, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've been busy in the past few minutes.

I posted news on the death of Rich Franklin's father and on a new match for UFC 82. But, those aren't the stories I want to link to. Melvin speaks and dear God...

I don't really even know what to say. You'll want to read the interview I linked in that post...this man is classic.

2. JoshRas

JoshRas Stunt Coordinator

Wow, what an idiot. Clementi was so scared of him that he choked him out[​IMG] Is this guy serious??

If it wouldnt be a waste of Roger Huerta, I would say give him Huerta and let Huerta absolutely destroy him. I want to see Guillard fight just so can get taken care of.

Casey, do you think the UFC is slavish to the idea of having Sherk fight Penn/Stevenson next? I dont think Sherk really deserves it, because of the steroids but mostly because he just doesnt really bring it. Such a boring fighter. I would love to see Huerta get the next shot. Or Florian, they bring everything they have when they fight, it should be rewarded. I have to wonder what Penn would do if he wins next week, I believe he has stated he wouldnt fight Sherk. But I suppose if he refuses, they could strip him of the belt.

3. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

[​IMG] this dude is crazy.

So he wants Huerta? Just like Josh, I'd love to see that so to see Melvin get his ass kicked.

4. Casey Trowbridg

A new bout has been agreed to for UFC 81

Josh, it is funny you mention Sherk because he says he's going to fight in April

I believe that he will get the Penn-Stevenson winner. I think that the UFC believes that he was wrongly suspended for steroid use (he did have some evidence that kind of makes you wonder). I disagree with you that Sherk doesn't bring it. He maybe doesn't finish guys off, but he beat the hell out of Kenny Florian for 5 rounds at UFC 64 and then again at UFC 73 he did the same to Hermes Franca. In fact, I thought that while the Franca fight wasn't all that fun to watch the Sherk-Florian fight was quite an entertaining one-sided beating. Oh, and I absolutely think B.J. Penn would take the fight.

In fact, I believe that Penn already thinks he's won the Stevenson fight and is laying the groundwork by dissing Sherk in any venue he can. Remember, the chances that UFC would ever let him mention the steroids interview in any promo are about as close to 0 as you're going to get, so he's got to use what's available to him. B.J. is smart enough to know how to start selling fights and getting people talking about him. He may be foolish if he thinks a victory over Stevenson is a sure thing.

Speaking of guys planning to fight in April, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua is also expected back that Canada show could be lots of fun.

Antonio Silva has An opponent for Feb. 16 I'm quite frankly surprised that Andres in particular has not commented yet (at least that I've seen) on the announced main event for said Feb. 16 show on Showtime. I linked to a press release announcing it last week and my one word comment was "yay!".

5. Casey Trowbridg

6. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

You're right Casey. I did read your article about the Kimbo fight and I'm very excited about it. I just didn't get a chance to post anything.

Wait, so the April 19 UFC PPV will have Serra vs. GSP AND Sherk vs. Penn/Stevenson? If so, sweet!

7. Casey Trowbridg

Yes Andres, I'm looking forward to EliteXC on Feb. 16 more than any show in the first 2 or three months of the year because of Kimbo and Tank.

I've also stayed busy today Houston Alexander to fight at UFC 83 in London on March 8

another fighter likely to fight at UFC 84 on April 19

and...

Karo Parisyan Vs. Thiago Alves also at UFC 84

I don't know if you guys have checked out the page or not though I plug at at the bottom of nearly every post I make on my site but our events calendar has all kinds of cards and matches from all over the place up to UFC 84 in April.

8. Casey Trowbridg

Yeah, more fight announcements how bout that?

This time it is the WEC 32 that gets added matches.

9. JoshRas

Casey, I was checking your calendar, I thought Franklin got hurt and was out awhile. I saw that on another site but I dont think I ever clicked on the thread. If we get GSP/Serra, Penn/Sherk, Shogun and Franklin on one card...[​IMG] That is MMA Nirvana. Boy, I do hope they add a top matchup to 83. Is that in Europe? It better free on Spike if they dont. I feel a 80 is a borderline PPV order, but I will just because I love Penn and its a title matchup. But McCarthy/Bisping?? Ish dont think so.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Josh, on Franklin he did recently have surgery. The fight with Lutter was to be the co-main event for UFC 82 on March 1. However, he should be ready by the 4/19 date. I didn't link this post yesterday, only mentioning it in passing but here is the news related to the fight and the death of Rich Franklin's father

Next, I would be stunned if UFC 83 is not on free TV (and in all likelyhood SpikeTV). The reason I can't see this being a PPV is because UFC 82 is the week prior and that will be a PPV. I seriously doubt that UFC would be so stupid as to do 2 PPV's in back-to-back weeks. I could live with Bisping-McCarthy headlining a Spike show but it would take a lot more than that to make me shell out for 2 PPV's in 2 weeks...like say Rochelle Leah appearing at my house.

It is kind of funny because the guys and I were talking via email earlier about how with UFC 83 and Cage Rage 25 on the same day and at the same time in England our traffic levels should be higher than they've ever been. We just need to figure out how we're going to cover both of those events.

11. Casey Trowbridg

12. Casey Trowbridg

13. Casey Trowbridg

UFC signs another international fighter

With them headed to Europe more and more, expect a lot more of this. Quite frankly it is a smart move to have a local flavor on any European show they do.

14. Casey Trowbridg

15. Casey Trowbridg

16. Casey Trowbridg

Ok guys, lets see if we can generate a bit of a discussion with this one.

Dave Meltzer reports that rematches with Keith Jardine and Wanderlei Silva are being considered for Chuck Liddell's next fight and that the Silva one is the odds on favorite of the 2.

As much as I'd like to see that fight again, I say why not hold off for a bit?

Your thoughts?

17. JoshRas

I hope not, to me, neither match up proves/does anything for me.

Jardine hasnt fought since then, I would much prefer to see him against Tito/Machida/Rua or the guy who beat Alexander(Alves?) If Jardine beats Liddell again, Liddell should be out of title contention for a year if not more. If Liddell wins well then they are 1-1 so what does that really prove?

A rematch with Silva right away would be a better fight to watch than Jardine/Liddell but again, Silva looks out of the picture if he loses and then they are tied if he wins. Once again, put Silva against one of the above 4 fighters.

Here is what I would like to see...

Silva vs Tito
    Jardine vs Machida
    Liddell vs Rua

The two best looking winners fight each other. The winner faces Rampage/Griffin next December for the title.

Take the other winner vs another top LHW and then they get the next shot after that.

But like I said, the rematches make no sense right now(even from a marketing standpoint too). If they win their next fights, then a rematch situation would have way more meaning as the winner would be going for the title shot.