What's new

UFC Ongoing Thread (3 Viewers)

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
Surprisingly, pretty boring actually. I cant remember the guys name, he was more of a ground fight, flopped twice to the ground because he was getting outclassed on the feet and wanted to take it down. First time, the ref took a point then the 2nd one he called the fight. Pretty embarrassing for that guy and hopefully we never have to see him again. Trigg outclassed Bam Bam and chocked-crap, i cant remember-could have been an arm bar-pretty quickly in the first round. jason miller squeaked out a decision in a fight that was pretty uneventful in which neither fighter was in real trouble.

A couple of the early fights were interesting but nothing too too exciting.

The best part of the night was the two interviews with Couture and Ken Shamrock.

Couture says he will wait out his contract and hopes to fight Fedor in the fall.

Shamrock says a fight with his brother will for sure happen.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
We are in an MMA abyss right now, but we're only a week away from what could be one of the best UFC cards of the year. I am also excited for the IFL Grand Prix the same night and interested to see what Fedor can do against the Giant on New Year's eve.

Who does everyone think will come out of the Light Heavyweight bunch to battle the Rampage/Griffin fight. Its not for probably at least 7 months but I think it will be Rampage winning.

Imagine this scenerio. Tito fights sometimes around May, perhaps can win convincingly...is there a Tito/Rampage battle in our sights? Evidently they have said they dont want to fight each other BUT why would Tito be in this sport if he doesnt want to go for the belt(and huge payday). Its not like you have to go in there and kill the guy. Its a fight. Tito is learning the business side from Jenna so ya think he would be professional and go for the business side of it.

I see Wanderlei beating Chuck. Then, in another huge fight around May, Wanderlei fighting Tito. The winner then fights Rampage(Griffin possibly in what would be a huge upset).

Of course, Jardine/Evans/Shogun/Alexander/Sokodju are in the mix too. But I think all those guys are at least 2 more fights from a title shot.

Things could even get more muddled if Chuck beats Wanderlei. It is going to be crazy.

I think 2008 could be even a bigger year for the UFC. Every card should be stacked with at least 3 top fights plus with other two guaranteed shown fights should be fairly stellar. The UFC has way too many good fighters to be putting out subpar cards.

The Lightweight division is stacked-Penn/Stevenson going then fighting Sherk. Huerta/Florian should be beasts too...how about that for a fight?

Middleweight which once seemed perhaps boring with Silva dominating will be infused with some much needed excitement with Henderson.

Welterweight-GSP hopefully taking on Serra when he gets healthy.

Heavyweight-Big Nog/Sylvia for the title and then the premiere of Lesnar. Hopefully Arlovski sticks with the UFC(or goes and fights Fedor!!). Lets not forget Cro Cop and Gonzaga either. Or Kongo. But to me, this is probably the least attractive division.

Any thoughts out there on the upcoming year...

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Huerta/Florian would be sweet if it was to happen.

Tito vs. Kimbo Slice, now that would be insane. Are they even in the same weight division?

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Kimbo looks like a heavyweight and Tito is a Lightheavyweight. I guess for that to happen, Kimbo would have to lose some weight.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Kimbo Slice is a Heavyweight but I don't think he's so big he couldn't make the drop to 205.

Tito isn't 1 fight away from a title match, he's at least 2. A rematch with Rashad is still possible and even if he wins, he's not going to earn a title shot off of it.

Florian-Huerta will be a great fight when it happens, but Huerta is going to take 6-8 months off. Remember the guy fought 5 times in 2007.

I think Liddell wins next week; just call it a hunch.

I think, even with Henderson in the division, Silva will continue to dominate.

I'm calling it now...Jon Fitch will at some point, defeat Georges St. Pierre. You can save that line for when it doesn't happen and remind me how big of an idiot I am, but I think it happens.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
I think Tito could be right there. There was talk that Rashad/Bisping fight could be for a shot at the title. The UFC doesnt always give the title shot to the next in line all the time. If Wanderlei beats Chuck, I think the next logical fight would be for him to fight Tito. Now if Tito takes the fight thats another matter. But imagine Tito pounding out Wanderlei in convincing fashion, how could he not be in contention? At that point, in his last 3 fights he would have beaten Silva, Griffin(contested fight but I think he deserved the win and he still did win) and beat Rashad(outside of holding the fence.

Those are wins that Evans, Rua and Liddell(who would have lost 3 in a row) dont have.

Plus, outside of Liddell, Tito is STILL the biggest name in the UFC. Rampage/Tito would be a HUGE FIGHT and paired with another decent fight would have to be one of the biggest PPV's EVER!! I can see it next New Years Eve.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, I dont think Tito beats Wanderlei. I am just a Tito nut hugger and optimist and I am dreaming what could happen for my Huntington Beach Bad Boy if some things fall into place for him!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Josh, Tito's last 3 fights even if he were to beat Silva wouldn't be what you outlined, they'd be: victory over Silva, draw with Rashad and loss to Chuck. The Griffin fight was 5 fights ago, don't forget the 2 with Shamrock.

Plus, Tito hasn't looked dominating since his UFC return so why would I believe him able to find it against Silva? Oh, and dominating Ken Shamrock doesn't count.

You want to know what the UFC would do if they had their say about things?
Liddell beats Silva, takes a fight in say May against someone, maybe a Shogun and wins. Then faces the winner of Rampage-Griffin at the end of the year. That scenario is many times more plausable than Tito Vs. Rampage and even it is far from a certainty. They'd also be fine with doing Silva-Rampage seeing as Wanderlei has 2 wins over him already.

I know you like Tito and you admitted at being overly optimistic. My advice is if you really want your scenario to play out that you hope that a lot of top contenders get hurt and that Tito does indeed look strong in his next fight.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
oh yeah, forgot about the Shamrock fights, I guess I dont even count them:laugh: I guess he is in no better shape than anyone in the LHW field so the fun will come in seeing who will come out of it to challenge Griffin/Rampage.

I know the UFC would never do this, but how about making 2008 the year of the LHW tournament for the belt. Take the top 8. So we get the first 4 fights done by the end of April. Then have those 4 winners fight in July. Then those 2 winners battle in October. Then the winner fights Rampage/Griffin.

One thing that I think makes other sports playoffs so popular is that we can figure if the Team A beats Team B they will play Team C. In the UFC, this never happens and we have to prognisticate who fights. I know this could be difficult with injuries but say if Ortiz beat Liddell for the right to fight Rampage and Ortiz is hurt, give the first shot to Liddell and then Tito gets the shot at the title next.

Part of the fun in the UFC is guessing the next matchups but just do it in 1 weight class per year. So the whole organization wouldnt be over run by tournaments.

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
This is going to be one sweet weekend. With the IFL, UFC, and M-1 shows it will be about 10 hours of MMA. I wont be able to leave the house. The only problem with the two shows Saturday is that the Patriots/Giants game is on at the same time so Im not sure I will watch all three as the DVR can only tape two. I suppose the UFC doesnt start til 9, so I can get two hours of the game.

Is Sylvia/Nogueira confirmed for 81? Any rumors of who would be fighting in the 3rd top fight?

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I'm in the same boat here with the Giants-Patriots game (I'm a Giants fan) but I think we should be able to catch a good 2 hours of the game since the UFC PPVs usually don't start until 10PM EST and the game will start at around 8PM EST.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
UFC 79 Live Coverage and discussion thread

I'm not writing this report so I'll be hanging out in the comments section.

Anyway, Nogueira Vs. Sylvia is pretty much set for UFC 81. Lesnar-Mir and Tyson Griffin-Gleison Tibau are also going to fight and that's the top 3 bouts IMO. However, Ricardo Almeida and Alan Belcher and Thales Leites and Nathan Marquardt are both interesting middleweight clashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks