What's new

UFC Ongoing Thread (1 Viewer)

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
interesting, never thought about it like that. I would say Wanderlei is next in line, provided he beats Chuck but then what do you do with Jardine. This way, a couple of guys can knock each other done and it should sort itself out. very nice point casey.

Do you think Chuck retires if he loses to Silva? I hate to say it but I think it could possibly be over for him if he does.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's a very good point Casey.

Josh, I'd hate to think about Chuck retiring but that's gotta be in the back of his mind. It's crazy what's happening to him. He was on the top of the world, such a monster but I guess that when it rains, it pours.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

You know what, I really don't know. On the one hand, that would be his third loss in a row and he will be 38 by the time of that fight (his birthday is this month)

On the other hand would he really want to go out like that?

My head says he returns, my heart says maybe not.

But honestly, I am picking him to win the Silva fight so it may not matter.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Urijah Faber is awesome. Jens Pulver looked great. I don't know about the finish to the Filho fight. Marshall is also impressive. I love the Bantamweight division.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Pulver barely gave me time to blink. He looked really good.

I missed the other fights after the Pulver one. I was really tired and went to bed.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Pulver looked great. He OWNED. I went to bed right after -- gotta love DVR. Can't wait to see Faber.

Best of the night was the suplex and a$$beating in one of the early fights. I've been watching MMA for a few years regularly and I've never seen a guy suplexed like that. I "whooped" so loud I woke my wife.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
LOL, Brett, I know what you mean. I did an "OH SH..!" pretty loud too.

That suplex was insane. How come we don't see that move that often? I'm assuming it has to do with the weight right?

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Could be that or maybe I'm just spoiled. In the UFC (what I usually watch), all of the fighters are so good, they never get caught in that position. The WEC, on the other hand, doesn't have the cream of the crop.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Here's the flaw with your thinking. The suplex you reference was in a Bantamweight bout, which is a division that does not exist in the UFC. So the UFC doesn't have the best fighters in the world at that particular weight class.

Plus, it is a big mistake to suggest that the WEC fighters are of lesser quality than the UFC guys. John Alessio, Brock Larson, Jeff Curran, Jamie Varner, Joe Doerksen, Chael Sonnen, Jens Pulver, Alex Karalexis and others on the roster have UFC experience.

Paulo Filho is argued by some to be the top middleweight in the world even ahead of Anderson Silva; so when they said that last night, it wasn't just the mother of all hype jobs. Carlos Condit, the Welterweight champion, is top 10 in the world at 170. So when Zuffa signs a fighter and sends him to the WEC it isn't because they think he doesn't quite have the skills to be in the UFC. They are hoping that one day the WEC will be as big as the UFC. Now, are the divisions as deep from top to bottom as the UFC? No, but you wouldn't expect them to be after just a year of Zuffa ownership.

How serious are they about getting the WEC perceived on the same level of the UFC? They will gladly let anyone who is in the UFC move to the WEC to compete. They don't want anyone currently in the WEC to move to the UFC because they fear as soon as that happens that it will tarnish the WEC as a feeder league which it is most definitely not. They have big plans for the WEC in 2008 which may even include PPV.

Oh, and when it comes time for me to hand out my year-end awards for 2007. The WEC and not the UFC will win the promotion of the year award. The quality of fights on average this year has been higher in the WEC than the UFC.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Good points, one and all. I meant no disrespect. Maybe shallow divisions is a better description. I'm excited to see what happens in '08 with WEC. The fights I have seen have been fast and furious -- lots of good stuff.

Is it me, or are the feathers and bantams the most fun to watch?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't intend for my post to be anything more than a defense of the WEC. I'm seriously an admitted WEC fanboy since their first card debuted on Versus, though I was very interested in their shows once they were bought by Zuffa.

Also, your suggestion about those kind of things happening in fights among lower skilled fighters isn't without merit. In fact, look at Bonnar-Griffin one and Bonnar-Griffin two. The second fight came after both had gotten a lot more serious training and wasn't near as wild as the first. Also things like that can happen more when you've got 2 guys fighting who aren't at equal skill, which is possibly what happened in the Valencia fight. I'm sure McCall belonged in the WEC, he was 1-0 in the promotion. However, Valencia is probably on a different level and may be getting ready for a title shot.

My theory on the suplex and other stuff and why you don't see it as often includes a part of yours, but I also add one thing. In MMA, a lot of things can happen in any one given fight and because so many things could potentially happen you don't often see some of the same stuff twice. So while suplexes do happen periodically, because so many other things can also happen, when you see one it is out of the ordinary. However, I would say that if you saw those things happen all the time they wouldn't be as impactful. Just another reason to love MMA in my view.

No it isn't you because I'm right there with you. I think it is because the Lighter guys tend to have more movement in their fights. So even when you see the smaller guys hit the ground they're always going to be moving and shifting positions and defending. It seems as though there's a lot less lay-and-pray going on.
I love the lower weight classes and I wish that a major company in the U.S. would establish a Flyweight division 125 and under. In 2007 I saw a number of fighters for the first time in the UFC, Pride, IFL, EXC, WEC, Cage Rage and so on. Out of all of them, nobody made as much of an impression on me as Urijah Faber and especially WEC Bantamweight Champion Chase Beebe. I'm including guys like Houston Alexander and Sokoudjou in that department, two men who don't lack for highlights or reason to get noticed.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Uriah Faber is an amazing fighter - a man among boys. He is so creative and quick. I haven't seen anyone pose a serious threat to him in the cage. He toyed with the Big Frog. His elbows were stellar and that one footed knee right before the end of the fight made me do a double take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks