What's new

U2 Up For 8 Grammies... (1 Viewer)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
This goes to show that their style of music and the way that they bring it to you is timeless.The band was basically trashed for a few years after their POP/Discotheque CD's but now are back better than ever.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This goes to show that their style of music and the way that they bring it to you is timeless.
Some would argue that this shows they are white washed "sell-outs." I'm not saying this, but many people resent the Grammys (and with good cause).

Of course, people are going to like or dislike U2 or any band because of their own tastes, as it should be. But those awards mean nothing either way.

MatS

Screenwriter
well, I was going to ask what relevence the grammys have toward whether the music is good or not, but it looks like Mike has pretty much done so already.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i saw them on their elevation tour and thought they were awesome. even after all this time they're able to create a presence...and that's saying something.

the grammies are a bunch of hype...i guess it's cool if they get one, but i doubt any u2 fan would factor that in.

i do feel their latest album is really really good. every song is listenable...and that's saying something too!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
If anything, the Grammy certification reasserts their popularity more than musical credibility. (I like All That You Can't Leave Behind a lot, but let's agree that musically it is a more accessible album than the previous two.)

MikeAW

Second Unit
I like U2, but mostly their early efforts, up to and including "Actung Baby". I have a great 3CD set of studio sessions for this release, and it's fascinating to hear them work out songs with Eno, listening to the songs take shape or just be scrapped.

Their fascination with media and Bigger Ideas, in releases like "Zooropa" and "PopMart", was really more an effort to bring more "scope" to their live act, than to really push their music forward in the studio. All this "scope" may be fine for the venue of the stadium, but it leaves me cold and just doesn't translate in a CD release...to me all this flash, overshadowed The Music.

DVD is the perfect medium for this particular band, because it combines the ideal audio and visual platforms for the band to create and exploit something, that benefits them to use to bring this scope thing into the living room.

I'm sure U2...like no other music group, other than Pink Floyd could have...will seize the opportunities of this new DVD technology, in producing some really unique DVD projects in the future. Something that's more than just a live concert, a studio album, or separate interactive accessories, but a genuine DVD music experience.

In the very early days, Todd Rundgren was trendsetter of the new technologies, but he was too far ahead of his time and the technology wasn't really there. Since Pink Floyd is, at moment, dead, I'm sure U2 will have an open field to steal Pink's crown.

That's if Roger Waters doesn't give them a run for their money! And I feel, Waters still has to give us his best...he has to get those negative vibes out of his system.

Joel Endicott

Auditioning
Didn't U2 win several Grammies last year for this album? I remember watching them on TV last year winning a bunch of awards. What show was that? I swear it was the Grammies. I must be loosing it.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
You're not losing it. U2 dominated the awards (well, they swept their categories) last year, too, when they were nominated for Best Song, Best Record, and I think a vocal award. They got'em all last year, but since All That You Can't Leave Behind was released after the industry year for 2000 had ended, it wasn't eligible for Best Album last year. So, here we are this year. I love U2, and I hope they win, but in the end it doesn't really matter....they have nothing left to prove. They've sold millions of records, been one of the biggest bands in the world for twenty years, and they already won Best Album honors for The Joshua Tree. Still, more power to them.

-Tom

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
For some reason critics and award commitees think that U2 can do no wrong. Bono could fart into a microphone, have Brian Eno over-produce it and it would be in the top 100 records of all time in Rolling Stone.

I guess in a time where very few "rock" records are getting as much attention as records by pop and R&B artists the academy is really reaching for whatever they can find.

The new Bob Dylan record was nominated as well, and I don't thinks it's a very good album let alone a good Bob Dylan record.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off but it irritates me that so called "acclaimed" artists are automatically nominated just because they release a new album.

European of the year???!! WTF??!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am not that impressed with the new album. So much so, that I didn't bother to buy it, and I am a big fan. Over the years I have lost interest in them, as the music has changed. It's still good, but not what I like now. I still LOVE the older stuff though.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up the latest just two days ago. I hadn't bothered, since I've been burned by U2 for the last decade or so, but I had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet.

I am extremely impressed with this record, it seems like they're grooving like the old U2, without all the techno-jiz. I've had it on constantly, in fact, in the car and at home.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i gotta agree with jack. this album is so "listenable" it's scary.
no, it doesn't have the emotional feel of 'the joshua tree', nor does it sound as raw as 'achtung baby', but it is absolutely one of their best.
this is one of the few cd's i can listen to over and over...it often stays in my car for weeks at a time.
i love to crank 'elevation' while i'm driving! :)

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
I never, ever, thought of as Achtung Baby as being raw

compared to their earlier albums.

As far as the new album goes, it is very listenable.

However, I am so sick and tired of the junk, IMHO,

they put out for the last couple of albums that I

couldn't care less about them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks