What's new

Two web design questions -- for a neophyte (1 Viewer)

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
With some experimentation and a copy of MS Frontpage, I was able to design the home theater website linked in my signature. But I have been searching for easy ways to do two things with the website, hopefully without having to learn much about html coding:

1. To develop an on-line photo album, or at least an easy way to display groups of pictures, perhaps with some short accompanying text; and

2. An easy way to provide -- and update -- a list of web links based on my MS Internet Explorer "favorites." My current list of links is simply an html version of my bookmark file. But it would be neat to be able to periodically update the links as I make changes to my favorites.

Any ideas on how to accomplish these things, or what applications to use? Be gentle, I'm not a programmer.

Thanks,

Ken

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ken - like yourself, I'm a hobbyist web-designer (click the charicature in my signature). Here's a few ways to do the photo album:
- My album.Example and code here
- Link Removed. Various photo-albums here
- Do it manually. Create a page, or set of pages (like you've done with your HT-construction pages), and include the pictures and text.
As for the links question, let me know if you find a solution :)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
The easiet way to generate a photo album would be to use a program that does it for you. If you have Photoshop, you can use that. Just click on file -> automate -> web gallery.
There are also a lot of standalone programs. A good one is Thumbs Plus. A trial version can be obtained here: http://www.cerious.com . You can enter descriptions for each picture as well as have some basic control over layout. You can also set up batch functions to process your images before you make the webpages. If you work with a lot of images, this is a great program to use.
The simplest way to do the links would just be to create a file manually (In notepad, even). The next step up from that would be to create a simple database with a web-based front end. You would log into a page online and enter your links there and they would be immediately visible on your webpage.
An 'all-out' solution would be something like this: Link Removed That's an old project of mine that I eventually abandoned due to lack of interest.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
where will you be hosting this site? Does that site have PHP support? If it does, check out MiG. The site is off of sourceforge.net. I use it for my photo album, and it works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks