What's new

Two Things That I Think Are Priced Unreasonably (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

Before Hurricane Katrina diesel was much cheaper than regular gas. Perhaps production has been shifted more to gasoline until everything gets back to normal.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
well people who complain about starbucks coffee, if you just get their daily brew its not that expensive. $2CAD for the medium size, its only about 20 cents more expensive than Tim Hortons etc.

only when you get the fancy sweet sugary drinks does it get expensive, but a basic cup of joe is pretty reasonable, i think.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I agree about the fancy starbucks, say at 3.5-4 a crack. It always strikes me as weird that you can go next door (often) and get a value meal, with a prepared burger (and think about all that entails) soda and fries for the same price.

And the gas to bottled water comparison is always striking.

BUT, how about things that are cheap? I'm always amazed at cheap $10 or below toasters. Real metal. Heats up. Doesn't explode. 2-3 value meals and you have a toaster....

Anyone else thinking about things that seem cheap?

Dan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think most vegetables are ridiculously priced given their general poor quality. One of the reasons that I grow some of my own during the summer.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
That's because the produce you buy in a grocery store is selected and engineered to have the longest shelf life.

It's probably been years since I've had a really good peach. :angry:

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Last weekend my wife paid $5.99 for three green peppers. I told her that was rediculous and this summer we will grow a bunch of our own veggies, just like when I was a kid.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Have alcoholic drinks been mentioned yet? :D

How about food and drink at a sporting event or concert? :D

WHY do we pay that kind of money? It's amazing how expensive this stuff is, it's amazing that people bitch and complain about it, YET I see SO many people flinging back beer after beer at these events.
:confused: WHY?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You posted this in January. How will that help you in the middle of January?

I want to plant a garden, but I planted some tomato plants last year and I leaned that a fence is absolutely required if I want to have a veggie garden.

Costco has great prices on inkjet refills. On some printers (old - and new? HPs) the ink crartidge contains the print heads, so when you get a new ink cartridge you basically refurbish the whole printer.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Peppers are always expensive here, never understand it.

Are we really having a conversation about green peppers, what has my life come to. Hehe

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Meals at some of these " UP SCALE " Eateries. I dont mind spending money on food I love food. I dont want to be hungry when I get up and leave after the check comes.

For example this is at a place my boss to us to one night.

App. 1 crab cake $12.00 I have had better at legal Seafood at I get 2 and they cost $10.00

Baked Brie $8.00 no high grade here.

Baby Spinach Salad $11.75

Entre' A Hockey puck size piece of sirloin $16.75

I was hungry after dinner.

Never going there again

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

I guess the places with the hockey puck steaks for $16 are all about the taste experience, though at those prices that had better be some damn incredible food.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Also, don't forget that the price also includes the waitperson.

I just got back from dinner at a local restaurant. Not exactly a hole in the wall, but not one of your 5 stars either. I swear, if I was at an "Upscale" restaurant, that waitress would have been FIRED instantly!

I can always guarantee a good meal at a nice place. That's what you pay for. You want a $10 steak, go ahead and take your chances with poor service, poor quality, hit or miss atmosphere, etc. :thumbsdown:

Again people, you're not looking at what you're getting for the price. Higher priced items are not expensive for the product itself. That's why you pay more for items at a convenience store. You're paying for MORE than just the item at that price. You're paying for the product, PLUS the convenience, so it's extremely unfair to compare convenience store prices to supermarket prices.

They're not the same, thus you can't say that one is unreasonable.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
diamonds are ridiculously highly priced.

and it is all about a company controlling the market as diamonds are not all that rare.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was at Dunking Donuts this afternoon, getting an Iced Latte. I've been trying to cut back on the milk, but I can't do skin yet, so I asked if they could do half milk/half skim. The women didn't understand and kept arguing with me. :angry:

I have to say it again, to anyone who thinks Starbucks is overpriced, you're out of your MIND!!!! I'd gladly pay $8 for Iced Lattes if I didn't have to deal with the CRAP I have to deal with at DnD's. :rolleyes

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I'll accept the idea that if people continue to choose to buy something, despite the high price, then it is by definition not overpriced.

But how about auto insurance? The government requires drivers to have it, yet the industry can charge whatever it wants. The "demand" for auto insurance is not a product of market forces.

This, coupled with the fact that when a claim is made, the company refuses to pay (and requires you to hire a lawyer to sue them to get the settlement that is rightly yours), makes auto insurance, in my opinion, the most unreasonably priced product or service I can think of.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes. People always assume that high price = overpriced, yet that's so not true.

Another example: I went to DnD again and I think the kid made my Latte with cream instead of milk! :angry: And those Latte's aren't cheap (as compared to Starbucks)! $3.90 and I almost never get it the way I order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks