Two Screens?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tuco, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Tuco

Tuco Auditioning

Work has started on my home theater. I have a Panasonic 3000 with a 103" 2.35 screen that will be wall mounted. Add a Denon 3808 receiver, Oppo Blu-ray player and a 5.1 Aperion speaker system, and I think I have the makings of a pretty satisfying viewing experience. BUT...I watch a lot of "old" movies. You know - black and white, 4.3, monaural sound. So if I'm not watching the latest dumb-ass Hollywood thangs-blowin'-up-good movie, does it make sense to have a ceiling-mounted 4.3 screen to watch Humphrey Bogart?? Seats will be 12 and 14 feet from the screen.

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I would go with the proposed pull-down 4:3 screen. After all, you have the perfect projector for this kind of application due to the AE-3000's highly touted "Lens Memory" system.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Of course, you'll have to go through life with everyone calling you Lou "Two Screens" Jackson, but if you can deal with that...

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The other "classical" solution is to have adjustable black curtains that you can pull in on the sides to make your 103" 2.35:1 screen a 55" (or whatever) 1.33:1 screen.

5. Tuco

Tuco Auditioning

Sorry, I didn't phrase my question properly. Given the dimensions of the 2.35 screen ( 40.5" x 95.2"), and distance to viewers (12 and 14 feet), will a 4.3 picture still look okay? I can't wrap my head around the math!

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Do you want to maintain a constant height aspect ratio? If so, there is no need for a second screen, a pair of curtains will do. That is how I use my 2.35:1 screen - all movies are the same height, just the width changes. But if you feel 1.33:1 pictures are too small on your 2.35:1 screen then of course you'll need a secondary one. It's really a matter of what your personal preference is.

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

If you're concerned about the math, a 1.33:1 image, full-height on your 2.35:1 screen will be just about 54" wide. This gives a diagonal of about 67.5".

This, to me, sounds plenty big.

It also has the added advantage -- particularly if you do have masking curtains -- of impressing people with the rather sudden difference between classic "square" pictures versus a proper Cinemascope picture.

Leo

8. Tuco

Tuco Auditioning

Thanks for all of the responses!