Two recievers bi amping?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by warren whit, Jan 22, 2008.

1. warren whit

warren whit Agent

i just recently upgraded to a denon 3808ci and have my old onkyo tx-nr801 sitting here collecting dust. I'm wondering if there is a way to use both amps to power my polk audio lsi front speakers? Not sure how all the processing would be affected? Any help is appreciated! Thnx.

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Warren, good morning; on the back of the 3808ci there is a speaker out section called Surr back/Amp assign - it comes after Surround B. This section can be assigned in the menu of the 3808 and used to bi-amp your front speakers. So all you would need is the speaker cable necessary to bi-amp them - which you would have needed anyway.

I would say that you could run the pre-outs - if your Onkyo has them - into the ext in inputs on the back of the Denon; however, I don't know if this would disable the Denons amps and use it only as a pre/pro. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the internal workings of the Denon can chime in; personally I would use the SURR BACK/AMP ASSIGN to bi-amp my front two speakers. Which is what I will be doing in the near future.

Mike

3. warren whit

warren whit Agent

Thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of that option on the denon!
    I will use that option until i am running all 7 speakers (not a big enough room at moment). Thanks for your help.

4. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

You are very welcome.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Are those Polks bi-ampable? You can't do that with just any speaker?

6. warren whit

warren whit Agent

Yep, they are there top of the line set.