What's new

Two Former Mad Magazine Cartoonists Pass Away (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I wasn't aware that Eisner ever worked for Mad (either in its original comic book form or its later full-sized magazine version) Do you know when he was there? (His bio on his official site makes no mention of it)

Both men were terrific and their passing represents a real loss to the artform, regardless of exactly where each worked. When Frank Miller made such a splash years ago with Daredevil and later The Dark Knight Returns for his cinematic story-telling, some of us could see the enormous debt he owed to Will Eisner's work (especially The Spirit.)

(And Miller himself acknowledged the debt by inserting several clear Eisner homages into stories during his run on Daredevil.)

Regards,

Joe

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kelly Freas was far better known as a master illustrator of science fiction. And I had met the man a number of times back in the '70s and early '80s. He was marvelous. Very sorry to see him go.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Likewise, Eisner was arguably the most important comic book artist ever, and was probably best known for creating The Spirit. I had read that Freas was dying and wasn't surprised by it but my jaw hit the floor when I read that Eisner was gone, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.