What's new

Twilight Zone (Original Series) Season 1 Comes to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

kaneda

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Check it out:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilight-Zone-Season-1-Blu-ray/13687

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
$100 is too much.

I'd like to get this series on Blu-Ray, but $50-60 is about the limit per season.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I bought S1-3 Definitive Editions,need 4 and Five, paid $25 each for the sets and I'm happy with them, they look decent on my Blu Ray player, $69 + is way beyond a reasonable double dip,I'm contented with the DVD's

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
"In addition, I did two new audio commentaries for the TWILIGHT ZONE BLU-RAY DVD, the spectacular first-season episode “The After Hours” starring the stunning Anne Francis and directed by my friend Doug Heyes, and “The Time Element,” the famed lost first pilot of TWILIGHT ZONE. The Serling script was shelved by CBS in 1958 and then filmed as an episode of DESILU PLAYHOUSE starring William Bendix. This episode has never been on home video and will be a remarkable extra for the set."

http://marczicree.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/lost-mars-savage-donut-pink-5/

Sounds like this new set (and the seasons to follow) are gonna be STACKED. $100 MSRP (with most sale prices being around $65-70) seems more than reasonable. That's only $2-3 per episode.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man
So now they get The Time Element?!? For mother****ing blu-ray?

Which no good 3 Stooges fan should be without... Joe "Curly Joe" DeRita has a brief, supporting role as the Pearl Harbor bar drunk.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Sounds like this new set (and the seasons to follow) are gonna be STACKED. $100 MSRP (with most sale prices being around $65-70) seems more than reasonable. That's only $2-3 per episode.
I completely agree. Plus, wasn't the S1 set $120 MSRP when it had the book in it? If it wasn't $120, it was definitely $100 MSRP when it first came out so I see no reason to expect the Blu-ray to be cheaper than the DVD set.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Question: if one already owns the entire series on standard DVD, why would you shell out more money for the same thing? Is the "improved" quality that important given that the standard DVDs look great as is without BlueRay. I don't get this compulsion. As for the lost episode "Time Element" included on the Blue Ray collection, great - I'm sure there are ways of watching the episode without having to shell out $100 for the who season.

The only reason I'd buy Blue Ray is if I didn't already own the series on standard DVD. This is not an attack on Blue Ray but on double dipping especially if you're essentially buying the same show twice.

Then again, I did re-buy my album collection to CD but the reason for that was not only because of the better quality in sound [which audiofiles will differ] but more importantly, they were fazing out the turntable.

Just a thought.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe*A

Question: if one already owns the entire series on standard DVD, why would you shell out more money for the same thing? Is the "improved" quality that important given that the standard DVDs look great as is without BlueRay.
I'd like to see The Twilight Zone in the highest qualty possible. And while the DVDs do look great, there's almost no chance that the Blu-rays won't blow them out of the water simply because of the increase in resolution between the two formats.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

So it is safe to say we can expect each season to be released with even more extras than the previous box sets? I will still hold onto my DVD sets just in case if isolated score tracks etc are not carried over.

I really hope the packaging is nice and sturdy and will look great. It would be cool if they did some nice packaging in the same form as Criterion where they don't use ugly blu cases but have a classy look. :)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Joe*A

The only reason I'd buy Blue Ray is if I didn't already own the series on standard DVD. This is not an attack on Blue Ray but on double dipping especially if you're essentially buying the same show twice.
I agree with you completely. I double dipped on a few movies because the DVD's were really poor or in the wrong aspect ratio, and the BR's were cheap catalog titles. Otherwise, I am happy with high quality DVD's that I already own (Star Trek TOS, TZ), and saving my money to purchase things I don't own yet. I will always consider a BR over a DVD, it just depends on the price difference, and high priced double dips don't qualify. Now if money were no object then I'd be all over this release.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
As much as I really, really, really love TZ, after Columbia House, Image DVDs and then the remastered re-releases, I can't justify spending yet another small fortune on this collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'd like to see The Twilight Zone in the highest qualty possible. And while the DVDs do look great, there's almost no chance that the Blu-rays won't blow them out of the water simply because of the increase in resolution between the two formats.
That is true, but I doubt I'll buy this series for the third time on disc. I bought it the first time it was released on SD DVD with the Image releases then a second time with the definitive collection. The third time on blu-ray won't happen unless I can purchase them on sale.

Crawdaddy

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I also own the Definitive sets and, though I love Blu-ray, just can't justify the expenditure for this entire set in the near future as a great improvement over what's already awesome. I also, blasphemously, happen to like the anamorphic quality of the DVD sets filling my screen, and am not a stickler for seeing this 4:3 with bars.

And I've been recently watching many of these with my 13 year-old son, who is now a big fan. (And boy was it hard to get him to watch B&W initially).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I also, blasphemously, happen to like the anamorphic quality of the DVD sets filling my screen, and am not a stickler for seeing this 4:3 with bars.

I have all five seasons on DVD (some I still haven't even opened yet as they are part of an enormous backlog) and as I would like to have the BD quality and any many extras as seen fit to release, I think this time, for once, I'll wait until perhaps the inevatable complete series BD set is released, or at least until the individual sets go on sale at Costco for a significant discount.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I buy Bds whenever the choice exists on something I don't own. And for the things I do own, I upgrade to the Blu's quite a bit- even on things that might only be a casual interest. I'm fortunate to have a pretty good A/V set-up and the difference in quality is appreciated when the Blu is rendered 'source faithful'.
That said, I'm willing to bet (and think it's a pretty safe bet) that the practical, relative difference to most peoples eyes, mine included, will be far less significant going from the definitive sets to the Bds, than it was going from the original Image DVD releases to the Definitive DVD sets. Better compression used on HD masters from better elements soundly trumped what were likely LD era masters with noticeable compression related artifacts.
For people who never owned the Definitive sets, or are otherwise new to the show such as younger viewers, then yes, the Bd is a no brainer and a great opportunity. OTOH, these same people would still benefit from the far better bang-for-the-buck value found on the now greatly price reduced Definitive sets. They can all 5 seasons for less than the cost of two discounted Bd seasons and won't be giving up all that much in terms of PQ.

It would be nice if they skip the nonsense and offer Thriller on Bd from the get go. If I have to buy it on DVD, I won't be upgrading anytime soon after.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
So far, I haven't seen the need to upgrade from my currant system (I still have most of my VHS Tapes, and as long as they still work, there's no need to replace them!).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It's my understanding, when you watch a BD, the original aspect is locked in, and you can't stretch it to fit the screen as you can with DVDs. This is obviously great for technical purists, but I don't mind watching older TV shows with the image stretched for a HD television screen.

Originally Posted by WillG

/forum/thread/300178/twilight-zone-original-series-season-1-comes-to-blu-ray#post_3686036

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks