Twilight Zone Definitive Edition

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Videowack, Dec 31, 2004.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It's weird they would use that particular opening so early in the season, and then not again until the end of the season, unless it was used for summer reruns and that's the only element of the episode they could find.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Ric,

the trick is to make your custum covers sound special.

sounds like you have a real one of a kind set (wink) know what i mean?

if the covers look very professional, i think you have a shot at getting just as much as you would have gotten with the original packaging.

you are going to take a hit if you want to upgrade, no question.

but hey, if you really like the show, this is definitely a set worth upgrading to.

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

^ Ric makes awesome covers.
    Include some pics, Ric. Sell them for a bit cheaper than you'd like. Somewhere out there, there's a senior citizen waiting for your DVDs to be listed -- in it for the nostalgia and not the technical aspects. [​IMG] Lucky for me, I sold the 5 sets back in March when the season sets were being rumored; putting some faith in Image to put out a good product. Well, they didn't disappoint. My expectations were met and then some. I know you're a huge TZ fan and you deserve to have these sets in your collection!

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

5. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement folks. I'll probably try to list them soon in their "Exclusive" packaging.

Ric

6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Frankly, I would've bought the new sets whether or not I sold the earlier volumes. It's not about money, or recouping losses from upgrading, or whatever. The Twilight Zone is far and away my favorite series of all time, so... well damn, I HAD to have these new sets. [​IMG]
    Is it just me, or does March 29 seem like a LONG ways off?

7. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

According to an Amazon reviewer (take it for what it is worth) there are some mistakes with this set:

1. "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" has the wrong opening titles...They should be the "middle ground" openings instead of the "eye."

2. "A Passage For Trumpet" has the wrong opening titles...They should be the "eye" instead of the "middle ground."

9. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Interesting. I hadn't actually gotten that far into the set to catch the error, but there it is: "A Passage For Trumpet" indeed has the standard season 1 opening (middle ground) instead of the alternate opening (eye/sunset). Every time I've ever seen this episode, it's had the alternate opening (hence my comment earlier in the thread). I checked each episode in the DVD set, and the ones that feature the alternate opening are:

03. "Mr. Denton On Doomsday"

33. "Mr. Bevis"

34. "The After Hours"

35. "The Mighty Casey"

36. "A World Of His Own"

"A Passage For Trumpet" is episode #32. It appears Image f*cked this one up a bit, eh?

10. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Also, if you look closely at many of the episodes, you can see the end of the Season 2 openings, because the starfield is different, and it appears to shower down on the lap dissolve.

11. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Ric,

i think your jacket designs are better than anything Image has done for this series.

good luck.

( i sold about 24 things before Christmas, mostly dvds and was very satisfied with the end bids.

some common stuff didn't make it past my $3 -$5 openings, but quite a bit went a few $ over what i was hoping for-

probably the most positive ebay sell-a-thon i've had in a couple years now)

nothing close to the hay-days of the late 90s, but not bad considering.

12. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

So, I guess my question is.....if these were taken from the original negatives, then why are there traces of the Season 2 opening (starfields) on many, but not all of these episodes?

If the camera negatives were cut to include the Season 2 opening at some point, wouldn't that have be difficult to create a lap dissolve with the new credits? I'm perplexed.

Does anyone with the previous sets know if the Season One openings were included with them and if so, if the Season 2 starfield fades into the first scene in "One For the Angels" and "The Chaser." Thanks.

13. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Ric, i'm glad to hear you're going ahead with this set. When you first mentioned you wouldn't be getting it because of the previous versions you own, I had a feeling you'd be doing yourself a terrible disservice. Well, today, I received my first season from coconuts.com ($62.99), and now I'm sure you would have been. These are fantastic!!!

14. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    duplicate post

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

16. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I'm not Mike, but I ordered my set on December 31st and it arrived on Saturday, the 8th, using the 10% off discount and free budget shipping.

17. MikeBr

MikeBr Auditioning

18. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

This set is absolutely fantastic but I do have one question.

I read where Rod Serling recorded some scene by scene commentaries that he used for college tours. Apparently he

did this for some Night Gallery episodes. If he did any of

these for Twilight Zone, it would be great if they do exist

and could be included.

19. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I emailed Marc Zicree about the restoration....I'll post something when I hear back. But I'm pretty certain that the negatives were cut at some point and re-done with the Season 2 titles.

20. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone found the Definitive Edition in a store in Canada yet?