What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's weird they would use that particular opening so early in the season, and then not again until the end of the season, unless it was used for summer reruns and that's the only element of the episode they could find.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

the trick is to make your custum covers sound special.

sounds like you have a real one of a kind set (wink) know what i mean?

if the covers look very professional, i think you have a shot at getting just as much as you would have gotten with the original packaging.

you are going to take a hit if you want to upgrade, no question.

but hey, if you really like the show, this is definitely a set worth upgrading to.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
^ Ric makes awesome covers.
Include some pics, Ric. Sell them for a bit cheaper than you'd like. Somewhere out there, there's a senior citizen waiting for your DVDs to be listed -- in it for the nostalgia and not the technical aspects. ;) Lucky for me, I sold the 5 sets back in March when the season sets were being rumored; putting some faith in Image to put out a good product. Well, they didn't disappoint. My expectations were met and then some. I know you're a huge TZ fan and you deserve to have these sets in your collection!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Ric: I sold my entire 43-disc collection (the earlier volumes) on eBay about six months ago, and got $350.00 for them from some guy in Hong Kong. Don't give up hope!
Smart thinking. Problem now is that some online retailers are selling the old single discs for $5 each, new.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement folks. I'll probably try to list them soon in their "Exclusive" packaging.

Ric

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Frankly, I would've bought the new sets whether or not I sold the earlier volumes. It's not about money, or recouping losses from upgrading, or whatever. The Twilight Zone is far and away my favorite series of all time, so... well damn, I HAD to have these new sets. :D
Is it just me, or does March 29 seem like a LONG ways off?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It's not about money, or recouping losses from upgrading, or whatever.
Well, it's about money if money is tight. Anyway, I listed the thing! For some reason I can't get that slide show thingy to work and its only showingf me a big version of the first pic. Then I tried to combine them all in one BIG pic but it squished it really bad in the preview. Oh, well. Wish me luck, and Happy Bidding!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
According to an Amazon reviewer (take it for what it is worth) there are some mistakes with this set:

1. "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" has the wrong opening titles...They should be the "middle ground" openings instead of the "eye."

2. "A Passage For Trumpet" has the wrong opening titles...They should be the "eye" instead of the "middle ground."

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Interesting. I hadn't actually gotten that far into the set to catch the error, but there it is: "A Passage For Trumpet" indeed has the standard season 1 opening (middle ground) instead of the alternate opening (eye/sunset). Every time I've ever seen this episode, it's had the alternate opening (hence my comment earlier in the thread). I checked each episode in the DVD set, and the ones that feature the alternate opening are:

03. "Mr. Denton On Doomsday"

33. "Mr. Bevis"

34. "The After Hours"

35. "The Mighty Casey"

36. "A World Of His Own"

"A Passage For Trumpet" is episode #32. It appears Image f*cked this one up a bit, eh?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Also, if you look closely at many of the episodes, you can see the end of the Season 2 openings, because the starfield is different, and it appears to shower down on the lap dissolve.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

i think your jacket designs are better than anything Image has done for this series.

good luck.

( i sold about 24 things before Christmas, mostly dvds and was very satisfied with the end bids.

some common stuff didn't make it past my $3 -$5 openings, but quite a bit went a few $ over what i was hoping for-

probably the most positive ebay sell-a-thon i've had in a couple years now)

nothing close to the hay-days of the late 90s, but not bad considering.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, I guess my question is.....if these were taken from the original negatives, then why are there traces of the Season 2 opening (starfields) on many, but not all of these episodes?

If the camera negatives were cut to include the Season 2 opening at some point, wouldn't that have be difficult to create a lap dissolve with the new credits? I'm perplexed.

Does anyone with the previous sets know if the Season One openings were included with them and if so, if the Season 2 starfield fades into the first scene in "One For the Angels" and "The Chaser." Thanks.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Ric, i'm glad to hear you're going ahead with this set. When you first mentioned you wouldn't be getting it because of the previous versions you own, I had a feeling you'd be doing yourself a terrible disservice. Well, today, I received my first season from coconuts.com ($62.99), and now I'm sure you would have been. These are fantastic!!!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Well, today, I received my first season from coconuts.com ($62.99), and now I'm sure you would have been. These are fantastic!!!
Mike, just out of curiosity, when did you place your order? I ordered mine on 12/27 and I am still sitting there in "sent to warehouse" status after 3 emails and 2 phone calls...

Thanks!

Gary

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I'm not Mike, but I ordered my set on December 31st and it arrived on Saturday, the 8th, using the 10% off discount and free budget shipping.

MikeBr

Auditioning
Why did the press release state that they would utilize as much of the frame as possible, if it was going to be cropped more than the previous release? Another example of 1.33:1 films being cropped. I wish the press releases wouldn't lie.
They didn't lie. They were talking about the HD transfer. In theory HD monitors can have zero overscan. But, because the video still had to be transferred for authoring on NTSC DVD, you have to put up with NTSC overscan. Play the DVD on an HD monitor an you might see more of the picture.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
This set is absolutely fantastic but I do have one question.

I read where Rod Serling recorded some scene by scene commentaries that he used for college tours. Apparently he

did this for some Night Gallery episodes. If he did any of

these for Twilight Zone, it would be great if they do exist

and could be included.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I emailed Marc Zicree about the restoration....I'll post something when I hear back. But I'm pretty certain that the negatives were cut at some point and re-done with the Season 2 titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks