What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Coincidentally, I discovered that alternate opening just this past weekend. It's beautiful!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
Why was it changed in the first place?
They changed to a different opening for the last (I think) 5 episodes of the season so when they reran some of the first 31 episodes over the summer, they edited in the new opening presumably so there would be one unifrom opening from that point on.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
I think we're talking about two different elements here regarding the first season opening titles. Visually, the "cave" artwork ran through most of the season, up until about "A Passage For Trumpet," which had the "Eye" closing against a day-to-night background transition - which held, as mentioned, through the first season summer repeats. Yes, the Definitive Edition DVD transfer of "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" is taken from a repeat airing, has the "Eye"-style titles. But what I was referring to was the audio track - the music - for the titles. The series of "Twilight Zone" soundtrack LPs issued by Varese Sarabande included some *alternate* title music cues - and one of those Herrmann cues is grafted onto the DE presentation of "The Lonely." Was it shown that way on an early in-house network presentation? Was it created as a "treat" for those buying the DE? I don't know, but the best evidence I have is that it was *not* broadcast that way by CBS on either of its two network runs. As for "Night of the Meek," I can't pretend to be sure of network thinking in 1962, but I would believe that CBS would be happy to run a Christmas-themed episode in the middle of August, collect the ad revenues, and think nothing of clipping out a single specific seasonal-reference line to "make it a more timeless presentation." From 1985 on, you'd have pot-luck as to whether you'd see a kinescope (complete) or direct tape-to-tape (edited) presentation. That decision for the August 17 1962 repeat is what determined the episode's fate thereafter, not some latter-day "anti-Christmas crusade."

According to the Martin Grams book, Hermann was not satisfied with his opening score for "The Lonely" and decided to use the now famous version starting with the next episode.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Herrmann's score for "The Lonely" is one my favorites; in fact, I was just listening to it on my drive home from work tonight. A few years back, I put together a (nearly) complete Herrmann Twilight Zone collection using both the Japanese CDs and the isolated scores from the DVDs, including the alternate opening theme for "The Lonely." A gorgeous piece, more delicate than Herrmann's standard opening.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Dave Jessup said:
I think we're talking about two different elements here regarding the first season opening titles. Visually, the "cave" artwork ran through most of the season, up until about "A Passage For Trumpet," which had the "Eye" closing against a day-to-night background transition - which held, as mentioned, through the first season summer repeats. Yes, the Definitive Edition DVD transfer of "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" is taken from a repeat airing, has the "Eye"-style titles. But what I was referring to was the audio track - the music - for the titles. The series of "Twilight Zone" soundtrack LPs issued by Varese Sarabande included some *alternate* title music cues - and one of those Herrmann cues is grafted onto the DE presentation of "The Lonely."
I have all the Varese Sarabande soundtracks and the alternate "Lonely" theme that I have heard is not on there. Is there a second alternate theme on the DVD/Blu-Rays?
Dave Jessup said:
Was it shown that way on an early in-house network presentation? Was it created as a "treat" for those buying the DE? I don't know, but the best evidence I have is that it was *not* broadcast that way by CBS on either of its two network runs.
I have stated repeatedly that I have seen the alternate "Lonely" theme in syndication back in the 1980s. I still have it on an old VHS tape. It was not created for any DVD/Blu Ray collection. It was either the original broadcast version or planned broadcast version which was changed before broadcast. Or broadcast one way originally and in the rerun the other.
Dave Jessup said:
As for "Night of the Meek," I can't pretend to be sure of network thinking in 1962, but I would believe that CBS would be happy to run a Christmas-themed episode in the middle of August, collect the ad revenues, and think nothing of clipping out a single specific seasonal-reference line to "make it a more timeless presentation." From 1985 on, you'd have pot-luck as to whether you'd see a kinescope (complete) or direct tape-to-tape (edited) presentation. That decision for the August 17 1962 repeat is what determined the episode's fate thereafter, not some latter-day "anti-Christmas crusade."
Again, the final line was present in all syndication broadcasts I have seen through the 1980s until the episode started appearing on VHS collections and the SciFi Channel. The ONLY reason to cut out the line now would be politically correct nonsense. I wouldn't imagine CBS would cut the line for a rerun back in 1961. It is obviously a Christmas episode. Cutting the line wouldn't change that. Does anyone have proof it was cut for the CBS rerun? In any case, the unedited version was shown in syndication.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wiseguy said:
It is obviously a Christmas episode.
Yes so if it was a political correctness conspiracy, the entire episode would have been pulled rather than deleting one line. The line was cut because it wouldn't make much sense to wish the audience a merry Christmas outside of December.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also doubt the line was cut out of "political correctness", else the entire episode would have been cut; but I cannot think of a good reason to cut it at all. The viewer, no matter the season, will pick up on the fact that Night of the Meek is a "Christmas episode" meant to run during the Christmas season. The entire episode is out of season if it is shown any other time. Whoever made the decision to cut it is an idiot.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
David_B_K said:
I also doubt the line was cut out of "political correctness", else the entire episode would have been cut; but I cannot think of a good reason to cut it at all. The viewer, no matter the season, will pick up on the fact that Night of the Meek is a "Christmas episode" meant to run during the Christmas season. The entire episode is out of season if it is shown any other time. Whoever made the decision to cut it is an idiot.
If that were true then the episode would not have been in syndication for 20-30 years with the line intact, broadcast throughout the year whenever that episode came up in the cycle (Don't think for a minute that every station held the episode until Christmas every time the episode came up or that the syndicators would expect them to.) Of course, it was "meant" to be shown during Christmastime but the realities of reruns indicate that it could be shown anytime. And was. With the line intact. Pehaps you don't understand political correctness when dealing with Christmas. It is not the denial of Christmas or wish to remove Christmas ("else the entire episode would have been cut"). The Christmas season exists and political correctness has nothing to do with that. It is simply the greeting of "Merry Christmas" to people who for usually religious reasons don't celebrate Chruistmas and removing the assumption that everyone celebrates Christmas. I'm not saying it is correct or even makes sense but the line was removed (or a previously edited version was used) beginning in the 1980s long after the episode was shown countless times. The reason it is called political correctness is because it has to do with politics, mainly liberal politics. And Hollywood is basically liberal. And Hollywood and liberal thinking pervades most of entertainment, especially that which is/was made in Hollywood. We simply must not offend any group of people even those that don't celebrate Christmas! "... I cannot think of a good reason to cut it at all. The viewer, no matter the season, will pick up on the fact that Night of the Meek is a "Christmas episode ..." This just repeats what I said in the first place. Therefore, the line was not cut because it's a Christmas episode. There would be no point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wiseguy said:
If that were true then the episode would not have been in syndication for 20-30 years with the line intact, broadcast throughout the year whenever that episode came up in the cycle (Don't think for a minute that every station held the episode until Christmas every time the episode came up or that the syndicators would expect them to.) Of course, it was "meant" to be shown during Christmastime but the realities of reruns indicate that it could be shown anytime. And was. With the line intact. Pehaps you don't understand political correctness when dealing with Christmas. It is not the denial of Christmas or wish to remove Christmas ("else the entire episode would have been cut"). The Christmas season exists and political correctness has nothing to do with that. It is simply the greeting of "Merry Christmas" to people who for usually religious reasons don't celebrate Chruistmas and removing the assumption that everyone celebrates Christmas. I'm not saying it is correct or even makes sense but the line was removed (or a previously edited version was used) beginning in the 1980s long after the episode was shown countless times. The reason it is called political correctness is because it has to do with politics, mainly liberal politics. And Hollywood is basically liberal. And Hollywood and liberal thinking pervades most of entertainment, especially that which is/was made in Hollywood. We simply must not offend any group of people even those that don't celebrate Christmas! "... I cannot think of a good reason to cut it at all. The viewer, no matter the season, will pick up on the fact that Night of the Meek is a "Christmas episode ..." This just repeats what I said in the first place. Therefore, the line was not cut because it's a Christmas episode. There would be no point.
So the rest of the episode- that couldn't be any more about Christmas if it tried- was fine with the politically correct liberals running Hollywood but that one line just had to go?

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The Complete Series set arrived yesterday, a bit of good luck, as I'll need something to look forward to after I clean my oven today. I sampled a few episodes and I was simply stunned at how amazing The Twilight Zone looks in HD--and I thought the previous DVD sets were no slouches in the SD department! The only downside is now I REALLY want MGM/Fox (I can't remember if another studio is taking over distribution) to release The Outer Limits on blu-ray--perhaps this year, as it's the 50th anniversary?

Congrats on the purchase. I asked friends to come up with two favorite episodes and we had a six hour mini-marathon the other night. It was a great time watching the twelve favs!

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
JoshuaB. said:
The Complete Series set arrived yesterday, a bit of good luck, as I'll need something to look forward to after I clean my oven today. I sampled a few episodes and I was simply stunned at how amazing The Twilight Zone looks in HD--and I thought the previous DVD sets were no slouches in the SD department! The only downside is now I REALLY want MGM/Fox (I can't remember if another studio is taking over distribution) to release The Outer Limits on blu-ray--perhaps this year, as it's the 50th anniversary?
I got my set last week and have been really enjoying it. Great picture and audio, with the CBS promos for other shows at the end being the icing on the cake. It was totally worth the money.

We watched: 1. Time Enough at Last 2. Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? 3. Eye of the Beholder 4. Little Girl Lost 5. Deaths Head Revisited 6. The Dummy 7. Nothing in the Dark 8. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet 9. Night Call 10.Living Doll 11.Queen of the Nile 12.The Bewitchin' Pool

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
JoshuaB. said:
The only downside is now I REALLY want MGM/Fox (I can't remember if another studio is taking over distribution) to release The Outer Limits on blu-ray--perhaps this year, as it's the 50th anniversary?
The original Outer Limits is my most-wanted title on blu-ray. The DVDs actually hold up pretty well, but they could be much, much better. The 50th anniversary... if not now, when???

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
eric scott richard said:
We watched: 1. Time Enough at Last 2. Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? 3. Eye of the Beholder 4. Little Girl Lost 5. Deaths Head Revisited 6. The Dummy 7. Nothing in the Dark 8. Nightmare at 20,000 Feet 9. Night Call 10.Living Doll 11.Queen of the Nile 12.The Bewitchin' Pool
That's a heckuva lineup (though I'm not a fan of The Bewitchin' Pool). And I thought I was the only person who liked Queen Of The Nile. :)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
TravisR said:
So the rest of the episode- that couldn't be any more about Christmas if it tried- was fine with the politically correct liberals running Hollywood but that one line just had to go?
I don't see what's so hard to understand. It isn't the Christmas season or celebrating christmas that's got the idiot politically-incorrect crowd bothered. It's the assumption that everyone celebrates Christmas. That is, the saying of "Merry Christmas." Haven't you ever heard this, or have you been asleep for the last 20 years? In other words, the episode is not censored but the line that states "Merry Christmas" is. There is no other reason to cut the line 25 years after it went into reruns with the line intact. Just coincidentally when the politically correct movement started? Get real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks