What's new

Twilight Zone Collection Box Sets (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh...to me the addiction to DVDs is MUCH stronger than crack or any other drug.

Should we then start selling DVDs? OH NO! My precious...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Which one do you consider to be "really great news"? The 5 sets from Image, or the deal from Another Universe?
Man I really need to start paying more attention. This is the second post in as many days where my reply was ambiguous.
I am glad to see that Image is putting the discs together in a box set at a very reasonable price. Of course, that is not to say that I won't be checking the Weekly Round-Up to try and sweeten the deal :D. The Another Universe boxset does look very nice but I'm afraid my pockets aren't quite deep enough to throw down all that cash at one time.
Chris S.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would highly caution anyone even considering the Another Universe deal (which are apparently DVD-Rs) after what they have pulled with the My So Called Life set. These guys are crooks.

I would also caution about Amazon.ca, who on both of the orders I have placed with them have later been unable to get the product, then cancel the orders a few weeks after release.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I would also caution about Amazon.ca...
Best Buy will sell the Image Entertainment collections for $75.99 each. If you prefer e-tailers, then head over to TVShowsOnDVD where there are links not only to Amazon.CA, but also Amazon.COM, the aforementioned DVDPlanet, also DVDEmpire, and Canada's VideoFlicks (all of whom I've had great dealings with in the past!).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The complete box set sure is tempting, but my player (Toshiba 3108) isn't on their compatability chart and the 3107 & 3109 are both deemed incompatible. That along with the negative information that I've heard about the "My So Called Life" set, leads me to think I'll stick with the Image sets.

I need time to find where I'm going to put these anyway. If I got all 49 discs at once, I'd be lost. I'm thinking about getting a binder just for my TZ discs. Has anybody had problems w/ storing DVDs in these binders? I've done it w/ CDs for years with few problems.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Be aware!
The latest update at Another Universe's site says this:
THIS IS INACCURATE!
Ep #142 (Owl Creek) is available in Treasures of the Twilight Zone, and Ep #42 (Beholder) is available in More Treasures of the Twilight Zone:

Both of these volumes are supposed to be included in Image's release Twilight Zone Collection #5, due in early February. While this hasn't been confirmed yet with Image, I am in the process of trying to verify the information.
I CAN confirm that the Image releases will NOT be in standard DVD keepcases. I just got off the phone with Image, and was told that they are in "thin" cases, that "resemble jewelcases". I asked if they would be the height of a keepcase, or if they would be the height of a CD jewel case. I left my e-mail address, and hope they send me an answer.
I expect that what they are using is the NexPak brand item called the "ThinPak":

(A&E used these on their Shackleton release.)
Note that Another Universe's website features several changes (including a release date change to 12/3/02), but none of them include anything to mention that these are DVD-R's. :frowning:
Also, AU is now stating that there are "49 discs PLUS 5 supplement discs"...previously it said "44 plus 5, for a total of 49". In fact, one portion of the advertisement still claims that (44+5), but two others above it state "49+5". :confused:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I reiterate: Another Universe are crooks. They practice knowingly deceptive marketing, customer service that is beyond deplorable, and they won't hesitate to double or triple charge you, then fail to refund the money, or sell you a product they don't even have the rights to. STAY FAR AWAY! You have been warned.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If Image uses the "Shackleton" style thin cases for the new TZ boxes that would be fine with me. 45 keep cases takes a LOT of shelf space, and that particular commodity is in short supply at Casa de Craig these days... ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It looks like I'll be needing Cover Art inserts for keepcases with these releases.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
That's great news Jon! Thanks for posting that. That actually answers some questions regarding the 44/49 disks question. Just for convenience's sake, I put the artwork and a snippet from the weblink that Jon posted. Thanks!
Twilight Zone: Gold Collection Complete Set

For the first time in Chronological Order...The Twilight Zone.
Release Date: December 2nd
49 Disks (Includes 5 Disks of Supplimental Material)
Encoding: Region 1 (US and Canada only)
Format: Black & White
Rated: NR
156 episodes on 44 DVD’s.
THE TWILIGHT ZONE DVD The Gold Collection is comprised of 44 discs which, for the first time ever, are in chronological order of air date by season.there are an additional 5 discs, one for each season, which have additional information and commentary.
The Gold Collection is numbered with a certificate of authenticity and limited to a production of 2500 sets. Set will be filled in order.
"Inside The Twilight Zone", including information on Rod Serling, a history of the series, reviews of each episode, cast information and a season-by-season commentary
This is the same as the original Image Entertainment DVD’s only collected in chronological order and slipcased. This set also includes two episodes NOT included in the original numbered volumes available from Image Entertainment. "The Eye of the Beholder" (episode 42) and "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge" (episode 142).

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
See in that press release how Au says that the two episodes are not in the numbered Image collections, that is correct but also deceptive because they are on Treasures and More Treasures. They are hoping that people will order it to get to "new" episodes, that don't know about the T or MT releases.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jon, Mark, and Joe:
Your posts are covering the same things I mentioned here, and here, and most importantly here in this same thread.
The most important thing to remember about the release from Another Universe though, is that besides the incorrect claims of having "Exclusive" episodes, all of the discs are going to be DVD-Rs. The president of V3 Media has already verified this, and they are the ones publishing the discs.
He is up front in pointing out the the DVD-R's are NOT compatibile with every DVD player out there. So make sure you visit the MEDIARACER.COM site and check the compatibility chart before risking your money on this purchase.
I myself am going for the 5 Image collections; for staters, it's cheaper.
Also, as Jeff Ulmer has pointed out in a no-holds-barred fashion, there are problems with AU's customer service. I myself have had a bad situation with them, where a double-charge took weeks to refund, and threats had to be made before the credit was given. In the end, I cancelled that order with them completely. Those are the facts; do what you will with the information.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The more discs that you can charge for the more $$$$ you make. It does not surprise me at all that they are using 44+ discs instead of 22-25.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Interesting changes today at the AU site.
While the main advertisement page still has the inconsistancies I spoke of earlier, the product detail page now says these things:
1) "Due to the process used to create the disks, some older dvd players may have trouble playing them. For a complete list, click here. If for some reason The disks do not play you can return them for a full refund." So they are now - in this smaller area - acknowledging that the DVD-R's may not work with everyone's systems. Why not mention this on the main page as well?
2) "All credit cards will be processed by V3 Media." Very interesting way to get around the question of "can you trust AU?" However, I should quickly point out that many people - especially MSCL customers who feel they got burned - won't take this deal anyway, just because AU is *involved* in any fashion. But it is an interesting development nonetheless.
3) Finally, while the main advertisement page still says "This set also includes two episodes not previously included in Image Entertainment’s prior or upcoming release" (which continues to be inaccurate), the detail page has a reworded version of this which says "This set also includes two episodes NOT included in the original numbered volumes available from Image Entertainment". In the second version they are obviously qualifying that the 2 ep's in question may or may not be in Image's Collection #5, while still trying to maintain an air of "specialness" somehow.
The first two items I list above were not there yesterday. The third seems to have been like that for at least a few days, perhaps longer; I dunno.
It is good to see that AU is responding to the posted feedback in some fashion. Consistancy between the two web pages at their site - both on the wording about the two episodes, and on the actual disc count, as examples - would be the next desirable step. IMHO.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The disks do not play you can return them for a full refund
Good luck getting any kind of refund out of AU without showing up at their door with a gun! Once again AU is using someone else's credit card processing to take orders. I suspect Comic Store is having their account looked at by their service company with hundreds of complaints against them.

How soon until we hear of people being double and triple charged for months on this set....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks